April 24, 2014, 01:40:12 PM

Author Topic: Finland army survival stove  (Read 2003 times)

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
Finland army survival stove
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »
This is an idea I've seen before, but have had a revival when I watched a video by Ray Mears, a british survivalist.  It's a type of camp stove developed by the Finish army during WWII. to help them cope with making fires in the snow.  You simply cut an 'X' 3/4 of the way down a log, and start stuffing it with branches and tinder.  When you ignite it, it starts burning from the inside out. The big advantage is you can sink one end into the snow for stability and not have to worry about it melting away under you.

As a kid, I used to take logs, and tie them together with my tinder inside like an Native sage stick, which I think is easier.  However, if you have a chainsaw available, this version is probably burns alot better than my bound logs ever did.  Here's a few pics. These aren't mine, full credit goes to Ray Mears;

"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
Re: Finland army survival stove
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:50:43 PM »
Cool. I'll write that down.
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

Offline Gandar

• Bushmaster
    • Quality Web Productions - Graphic and Web Design
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:01:46 PM »
That's awesome Ant.
Run when you have to, fight when you must and rest when you can.

I hope I'm never in a survival situation; I may just like it's simplicity and decide to stay there.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
Cool, I'll have to remember that, If you are familiar with e use of them an aggresive handsaw like a buck saw would also work.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »
Next time I'm camping, I'm definitely trying that.  I've also got a nurker variation that I thought I'd try.  Split the log into four parts as shown with my machete, not going all the way to the bottom, and hammer some sticks down in the splits to spread them.  I also want to bury the bottom in my fire pit, so that the dirt will hold the log upright.
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

No matter where you go....there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
Next time I'm camping, I'm definitely trying that.  I've also got a nurker variation that I thought I'd try.  Split the log into four parts as shown with my machete, not going all the way to the bottom, and hammer some sticks down in the splits to spread them.  I also want to bury the bottom in my fire pit, so that the dirt will hold the log upright.
Depending on the size of the log, and the time of year an axe may work better, but you may inadvertantly split it all the way then have to tie it back together.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »
I think my machete will work great, as I usually have to pound it almost all the way through a log to split it.  I usually start the machete, then use a convenient round to beat it through the log.  This way I get exactly the size split I want with a minimum of splitting.
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

No matter where you go....there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »
As I said, it's similar to what I did in my early years.  We'd find a fallen limb, preferably birch, and hack four 24" sections off of it, then start binding them together with hemp, using small sticks as spacers.  We'd fill the void with birch bark and ignite it.  Really, we used these as a form of tiki torch for the winter time, but easily roasted a few things over them.  Funny though, as for boiling a pot on it to cook with, that never occured to me before watching Ray Mears.
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.