August 30, 2014, 01:28:42 AM

Author Topic: Fire Piston Maglite  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
Fire Piston Maglite
« on: May 17, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »
Here is a interesting video I came across for a fire piston 

Here is the instructions on how to make it. Or another version of it. http://wiki.goingprepared.com/index.php?title=MagLite_fire_piston

Offline blacksmith

• Survivalist
Re: Fire Piston Maglite
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:06:01 AM »
that is cool I may have to make one
Beneath the spreading chestnut tree the village smithy stands

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »
That's cool , i wonder if this would work with  AAA size , i have several that don't work any more that i just couldn't throw away, i may try it .

Offline Askdamice

• Thrivivalist
  • Master Tracker
  • Good to be Back
    • Wildertools
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »
Be careful with this, guys.... there is a great amount of pressure built up in such a thin walled cylinder... I'd hate to see it blow out the side and cut your hand .... or worse, to have the cap strip out and go balistic! I've see thick walled aluminum crack. (1/4" thick) I don't even think mags are 1/32" thick.
Rick Marchand
ABS Apprentice Smith
www.wildertools.com
rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:26:32 PM »
Be careful with this, guys.... there is a great amount of pressure built up in such a thin walled cylinder... I'd hate to see it blow out the side and cut your hand .... or worse, to have the cap strip out and go balistic! I've see thick walled aluminum crack. (1/4" thick) I don't even think mags are 1/32" thick.

Thanks for bringing that up , i didn't think of that and started to make one out of a AAA mag light, but after reading this i scrapped it , i think i'll try to make one out of something stronger.