October 01, 2014, 05:10:41 AM

Author Topic: Potassium Permanganate  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Potassium Permanganate
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
I bought the potas and perman (Im not going to try to spell it again)  :P   on ebay along with some glycerin (not in the same package)   :scared:

Any way I put a small amount of each in a small dutch oven lid. Soon it started to smolder bubble and smoke but no fire. I wiped the remainder, its actually a vegetable oil, from the lid with a paper towel. I didnt think I should put the paper towel in the trash and luckily that turned out to be a good idea. Soon I smelled some thing burning so I looked out at the deck to see the paper towel on fire.  :O

So next time I think I will put the ingredients right in the tinder and get ready to blow on it.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
  • taken by the corn...
Re: Potassium Permanganate
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »
~ Potassium Permanganate is a common product used to treat pond fish parasites, you can often find it at garden centers, or pond fish supply websites. Is that the same thing you bought swede? I don't have any potassium Permanganate. Is it a powder? Or is it crystalline? What form is it in? You can also soak aquarium plants in a solution of potassium permanganate to kill all snails and their eggs prior to adding them to your tank. I'm thinking the one time I used it, it was a liquid... (I could be wrong.)

I have glycerin in my cabinet. You can find that at any drug store, usually with the hand lotions and stuff. (If you mix it with Vodka, you can make a killer hand sanitizer that's way more effective than any store bought stuff.) lol... 

I saw Unca's Absolutely Adorable Beta chick on Man Woman and Wild making fire that way (I think that's where I saw it.) I wanted to try it. It looked really easy!
“Humanity has but three great enemies: fever, famine, and war; of these by far the greatest, by far the most terrible, is fever.”
―William Osler

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
I guess you could call it a powder but it looks more like black powder used in muzzle loader fire arms. Its black and kind of a cross between powder and fine sand.

Physical state: solid
Appearance: Dark purple crystals metallic sheen

Harmful to aquatic life in very low concentrations.

It comes with a litany of warnings, burns, liver and kidney damage if swallowed, pulmonary edema etc.

Good to know you can find it at garden centers because its a small bottle but loads of glycerin.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
  • www.BatAndBalloonWar.com
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~waltsned
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
Whutever ya do, Taken... make dang sure you do not have any baby oil/glycerin on your fingies when you mess wiv it.

It is hypergolic (starts on fire all by itself).

The beautiful pudden used WAY too much glycerin.  Crikey... you don't need a fargin Saturn V exhaust flame!

Teaspoon of each.  No more.  Takes from ten to fifteen seconds, then WHOOOOSH.

Potassium permanganate is sold in all the soopermarkets here in Floriduh.  It is used to service your well-water filtering system.  Cheap stuff.  You buy it by the two pound plastic bottle.  In WWII, it was issued to GI's to cure atlhete's foot.  Ernie Pyle wrote a funny story about the guys taking their socks off and finding their feet a violent purple...  :scared:

• Survivorman
  • taken by the corn...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
~ I know you can buy it online (For pond fish) I've never looked at the garden center for it. I'm going to petsmart later... I'll look in their pond section.
“Humanity has but three great enemies: fever, famine, and war; of these by far the greatest, by far the most terrible, is fever.”
―William Osler

• Survivorman
  • taken by the corn...
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »
Whutever ya do, Taken... make dang sure you do not have any baby oil/glycerin on your fingies when you mess wiv it.

It is hypergolic (starts on fire all by itself).

The beautiful pudden used WAY too much glycerin.  Crikey... you don't need a fargin Saturn V exhaust flame!

Teaspoon of each.  No more.  Takes from ten to fifteen seconds, then WHOOOOSH.

~ wow, thanks for the warning Walt!  That would smart.  :scared:
―William Osler

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »
Long as Engineer Unca is givin' info...

Potassium permanganate and acetone:  same-o same-o.

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:32:02 PM »
Here's the beast, naked before your eyes:

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
~ wow, thanks for the warning Walt!  That would smart.  :scared:
cool14.gif

Offline survivorgirl

• Survivorman
  • me and les
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
saw Les using that in Africa would love to try it happy070.gif
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 04:46:22 AM »
I carry potassium permanganate when i hike. Mix with sugar to make fire (I also carry sugar), add to water to purify it, as the unca said useful for trench foot and can also be used as an antiseptic.
Now, as the ladder of life 'as been strung
You might think a sweep's on the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.

Everybody eats bacon, but nobody wants to stab the pig.