May 22, 2017, 12:26:17 PM

Author Topic: Natural cordage tutorial (picture heavy)  (Read 19530 times)

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
Re: Natural cordage tutorial (picture heavy)
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 01:34:21 AM »
Another plant i use is Rosebay willowherb which i think you call Fireweed (Epilobium angustifolium).

The seed heads can be used as tinder and a stuffing to add insulation. The stems can be used as a thatching material and there are edible parts and madicinal properties.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »
Hey Bigblue?

Does that cordage degrade over time or not, 'cause there's some milk weed by my house and i might try to make some cordage.

Sweet tutorial, too!!
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

Offline Bigblue

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »
Dan - I have not noticed any degradation of milkweed cordage, unless it is repeatedly subjected to prolonged exposure to wet weather (then, any material will rot away). I've had a short length attached to my packbasket for years used to hold an old carved wooden medallion. I also have several longer pieces stored for years in a ziplock that I use for demos.   
I take people way out into the woods and then do things with them.

SHUT UP AND POST  :P

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »
On your tutorial, BB, I'm left handed so does that mean that I twist clockwise when the tutorial says counterclockwise, or not?
See you on the trail!

Offline Bigblue

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 06:07:30 PM »
Dan - The technique of "reverse wrap" cordage making involves two hand motions... twisting one of the two strands of fiber and then "wrapping" or folding it over the other strand. I'm right-handed so I spin the strand on the right in a clockwise direction then wrapping over the left-hand strand in a counter-clockwise direction.

If you are left-handed begin by twisting the left-hand strand in a counter-clockwise direction, then wrapping it over the other strand in a clockwise direction....... exactly the opposite of the way I do it.

There is a simple test to see if you are doing it correctly: once you have completed a few courses of twists and wraps pinch the top/beginning the work piece and let the two strands dangle freely. If you have done everything correctly it will not unravel/unwind... if you have screwed it up somehow.... it will unravel/unwind.

I know it sounds complicated, but it really isn't. It just takes a bit of practice. Good luck.

BB

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 08:01:31 PM »
I just made some cordage last week for a pauite deadfall.  I think it was a plant called New York Ironweed.....not 100% sure.  It worked REALLY well.  I smashed it with a rock to seperate it......then reverse wrapped it like BB talks about. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

adrenjunky

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »
Machine where are the pics? Can I please see the pics? sad042.gif

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »
I will try to get some up....asap. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »
Yeah, Machine, I'd like to see it, too. :)

BB, i'm sorry, but i just need a little more help. :unsure:   (Recall, i dont havethe fibers just yet.)

1. I'm supposed to twist the left side in a counter-clockwie direction. OK. But, then, to twist the left end clockwise i have to go under. Am i just supposed to got under and around??

Thanks.
See you on the trail!

Offline Bigblue

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 02:28:47 PM »
Dan - I think that rather than keep trying to use words to explain this I'm going to add to my tutorial showing the left-handed method. This'll take me a day or so, so be patient.

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »
Ok...not to take anything away from BB tutorial, but this is me...putting into practice what he is teaching.  Although....his always comes out better.  Mine was usable that is all I needed.  But I used the same technique.  The reverse wrap. 

Here is the plant I used.  I think it is called a New York ironweed.  (not sure though)

This is how I processed it.  Using a couple rocks and breaking it up.

This is the fibers after I was done.  I had to peel away some harder woody pieces with my fingers. 

Then I reverse wrapped it (no pics...sorry).  Here is the finished cordage.

I used it to demo a paiute deadfall. (note this is NOT the proper way to set up this trap, it was only for demo purposes to show the cordage would have worked).

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 07:47:53 PM »
 :clap: Fantastic job Machine.  I love the deadfall.  You are very skilled my friend.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 07:48:50 PM »
Cool stuff Machine!
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 06:42:59 AM »
Nice!!
See you on the trail!

Offline crazy stick

• Scout
    • The-Survivalist.com
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 09:54:13 AM »
actually i have a question for everyone.

I made cordage the same exact way machine did. but with thistle,
I have made thistle the way you are "suposed" to, the way they say to in all the articles, and the same method that bigblue used in his article (which is very good by the way).
but this way that i have made it recently with thistle, I just took the green thistle, not dead, not dried not specially treated, and just flattened it out and smashed out the fibers with a small log. I used the reverse wrap and everything. and i got a VERY strong rope, I didnt seperate the outer fibers with the rest of the plant, the way you would in traditional methods but kept the plant whole and just smashed it all and seperated ALL its fibers. and just made cordage out of it like normal with the reverse wrap.
I like how it turned out. and i still have the peice of rope i made, it is still extremely strong, but its thick of ocurse, since i used the whole plant.
im just wondering, is this any better, am i doing this the right way? or is there a better way to do it for a green fresh plant of thistle?

machine, it looks like we think alike :)

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »
It sounds liek there's alot of plants that can be used. Think someone could compile a short list?
See you on the trail!

Offline crazy stick

• Scout
    • The-Survivalist.com
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 01:07:01 PM »
most of the lists out there are very very incomplete. and alot of times people rant and rave about a few special plants and everyone starts to think those are the only cordage plants, but there are alot out there, some of my favorite arnt even from plants but the inner bark of trees such as the poplar tree. or willow. but of course, some are always better than others.

thistle, milkweed, dogbane, sedge, poplar inner bark, running ground pine, spruce roots, agave, basswood, nettles, yucca

but really thats just a few. something i learned from bow was when your walking through the woods or wherever, grab plants along the way and pull them, if it tugs you back, or you cant pull it up. you may have some good cordage material there.

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »
Sweet tip Crazy, Thanks. Oh, and the list, that'll help :)
See you on the trail!

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »
That is along what I would say......I made this cordage and had no idea what the plant was. (I looked it up after) It had characteristics I was looking for....so I tried it. It worked.

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
I got SOME KIND of fibers :help:. I have NO idea what and they're not too promising, and I still have to buff them. (If there's anything to BE buffed, its all green, not like BB's that was grey. :()

Still wait'n on that tutorial, BB.
Just kidding, take your time :P
See you on the trail!