November 25, 2017, 03:26:27 AM

Author Topic: Locations for wilderness survival in Canada plus some Q's  (Read 1834 times)

Offline spetz

• Lookout
Locations for wilderness survival in Canada plus some Q's
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
I am new to this whole thing i am looking for some places to start my wilderness camping. I live next door to Toronto so I am looking for some places to go to. I know i could go to Algonquin Park for backpacking, but thats a far trek with out a car or having to get a ride and I could also go to red lake but thats really far. So any good suggestions for places to go? I am really at a loss because most places only have the specified camp grounds etc.

Another thing what are the legalities with trapping in Canada when out on a wilderness survival, because i realize being in a survival situation and placing your self in to one is different.

While im asking questions, for those of you who do take sleeping bags but no tent etc... do you use a bivy bag, or have a special sleeping bag or something else because mine would get damaged really easily but maybe its just the design. So any suggestions here thanks.
Tim - Spetz - FireBug

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. [Psalm 23:4]

Offline bobimbob

• Master Scout
Re: Locations for wilderness survival in Canada plus some Q's
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
As for trapping on Ontario, you need a trapping line/license permit for fur bearing animals. Other wise if you have a hunting license you can snare some animals that are covered by your license. I imagine that placing snares on crown land is Ok in the south but you are responsible for their use/safety of domestic animals and such and whatever wild animals they catch. Private land is another matter, best to call a OFAaHA office for more elaborate information. Lots of books to teach you the mechanics of setting snares or traps.
Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru

Offline spetz

• Lookout
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »
Thanks for the info, looks like i wont do to much trapping on my trips my grandpa lives on a farm were i could test it out, also have a friend who runs his own trapping line so ill talk to him.

So one question down 2 to go.
Tim - Spetz - FireBug

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. [Psalm 23:4]

Offline spetz

• Lookout
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »
Still waiting I need to know places i can go to do wilderness camping in Ontario easily. Any suggestions?
Tim - Spetz - FireBug

Offline Bigblue

• Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »
This is from my wife who spent a number of years as a guide in Algonquin:

Anywhere on the Bruce Penninsula (the Bruce Trail). My wife once hiked thru there for three days (in '93) with a group of gals dressed only...... in their bras and panties.! So I guess that means its remote and lightly traveled.

Quetico Provincial Park which is the Canadian half of the Boundary Waters in Minnesotta. Extrordinary canoeing, but also some wonderfully remote backpacking destinations as well.

That's all I/she has for now.

I take people way out into the woods and then do things with them.

SHUT UP AND POST  :P

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 03:59:42 PM »
My wife once hiked thru there for three days (in '93) with a group of gals dressed only...... in their bras and panties.!

Is that how she won your heart, BB?  :whistle:  :D
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline Frostie

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:46:27 PM »
Maybe this will help.
www.hikeontario.com

Offline Bigblue

• Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 06:48:08 PM »
My heart.....??  :angel:

Offline spetz

• Lookout
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »
Maybe this will help.
www.hikeontario.com

Thanks http://www.hikeontario.com/bulletin/factsheets/fact06.htm has a good list of places.

Also thanks bigblue.

The main idea behind backpacking is you can camp most place off the trail correct? And making shelters is aloud aslong as im not hacking down live tree's etc.
Tim - Spetz - FireBug

Offline Bigblue

• Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »
I believe as long as you are 100 meters or 200 ft away from trails, water sources and public areas you are all set for shelters. However, fires may be a different story. Each park, even diferent regions of each park, may have different regulations concerning fires. Many, if not most, only allow fires in established fire pits. So you may have to rely on your camp stove for cooking.

You may also want to check whether the park you choose requires an itinerary.

Offline spetz

• Lookout
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »
Looking at Algonquin site that there is designated camp fire pits on the interior sites I will see about calling the campground. It also looks like they are not to keen on building shelters etc.

Now what about camping on crown land, any one have experience with this and any suggested locations in southern Ontario, well the lower half of Ontario.
Tim - Spetz - FireBug