March 24, 2017, 04:55:13 PM

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 4484 times)

Offline outofdoors

• no roof no walls no problems
  • Scout
GPS
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:01:15 PM »
does ne one here use a gps? I just bought a garmin etrex legend cx today and am learning to use it just wondering how many others have a gps unit?

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:22:05 AM »
does ne one here use a gps? I just bought a garmin etrex legend cx today and am learning to use it just wondering how many others have a gps unit?

I have the magellan sportrax Map. Love it. Waterproof, durable, and floats.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 08:12:01 AM »
I have an etrex and good luck learning how to use it. It gets complicated setting way points and stuff.The tracks feature is the main feature I use as all you have to do is follow your tracks back to where you started.It worked great in Canada out on the lake because of the reefs that are hell on a lower unit of the boat motor. If you follow your tracks closely you can keep from hitting a reef once you find them.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

adrenjunky

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:19:25 AM »
Gramin 76map

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »
I have the Magellan Explorist 500.  Haven't played with it alot (just got it), but so far it is easy to use, color..I like it!
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline outofdoors

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 12:37:46 AM »
ok a little update, i ended up returning the gps i bought because it was an open package and they said everything was in there, well unfortunately it wasnt.  So i got this software but didnt have ne way to put it on the gps.  So now i am looking again, I am between the Garmin Etrex Legend, or the Lowrance iFinder expedition, Does ne one know ne thing about this two handhelds, I know swede said he had issues with working the garmin, but what about the lowrance one?

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:24:25 PM »
Im not saying the etrex is the problem but the instructions are a bit confusing. I just have to sit down sometime and try to understand them.

My etrex is one of the most inexpensive of all of them but it works. You have to have a full view of the open sky to pick up all the satelites but Im not sure all of them are that way. Dead batteries make it a useless piece of junk out in the field so carry extra batteries. Make sure the one you buy keeps old tracks in memory in case the batteries go dead.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline outofdoors

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:40:11 PM »
thanks swede, i appreciate the input. I think the garmin is the way i am going to go, mostly because of all the availability of help from others and also the abundance of add on stuff out there.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 07:44:06 PM »
I don't use a GPS.
I use Solar, Lunar, and Stellar guidelines - and a compass - and knowing the area really well.
When I ponder over the original trackers and pioneers of travel, what helped them?

Offline RovingArcher

• Master Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:52:38 PM »
I'm with Cindy.  I'd rather rely on solar and other means to find my way.  Hmm, maybe that's why the wife says we always get lost. :blink: :hugegrin:
Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.

Offline Snow Walker

• Administrator
  • Scout
  • "The gaze of the wolf reaches into our soul."
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »
Here is my Garmin GPS map 60CSx.  I love it and best of all it's VERY user friendly!

I always carry a GPS because you just never know, but I DO NOT USE IT AS MY SOLE NAVIGATION AID.  I also carry my main compass, a small back-up compass, a map and a grid reader.  All my maps are prepared to use the UTM grid system.

My compass is my most trusted and used navigation aid!  I mainly use the GPS to mark locations for one reason or another so I can remember them.  I also carry a GPS just in case I had to call for help if someone was injured (if a cell phone/radio had reception) because I could give exact coordinates for a rescue team.

I also use bright orange 550 cord on all of these.

Both of my compasses can be read at night without the need to be charged with a light so I don't ruin my night vision.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack."   Rudyard Kipling

When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls from the plains,
I will hunt mice.
For I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.

Chief Joseph
Nez Perce Tribe

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
I have a Garmin E-Map which was discontinued years ago. I tried the E-trex and found the lack of a basemap really annoying. I still have the E-Map and it's still perfectly functional.

My main GPS is a Delorme Earthmate PN-40.
Well we’re gathered together, at the sunrise of never,
To bring witness to the good big sky

Yah jokers, ya con men, ya real estate salesmen  
To bring witness to the day we all die

Wahhhhh, wah, wah-wahh wah-wahh- waaaaaaaaaah

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »
ive had a few different ones over the years. i had an old garmin 400 (i think that was the model) i couldnt get a fix unless i was 100 yards away from the nearest tree.  :P  the latest one ive had i have had for a long time now and i can get a fix in the basement of my house under a slab of lead i swear. its the magellen maridian gold. waterproof, 2 AA batteries, takes an sd card with maps and uploadable downloadable from a computer. its armored and i love it. its my favorite toy i own. ive always liked the magellen stuff.  the maps are great, the unit is so easy and intuative to use you almost dont need an owners manual. its a little bulky but for everything it does, and being 100% waterproof. i wouldnt trade it for anything.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
I started out with a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX (the same one that Snow Walker showed in his post).  This thing was great, durable, accurate and more functions that I could even figure out.  I added a 2GB SIM card and Gramin's North American maps and I could find my way pretty much anywhere.  Adding the maps allowed me to use it in a car to find addresses, calculate routes, find things like gas stations, restaurants etc.

It also keeps track of where you went and you could download this back to your computer.  I recorded my track of when I hiked the Grand Canyon, for example.  This one also tracks elevation using a barometric altimeter.

I also had a bike mount for it and used it when biking.  I bought this one in 2007 and last year, gave it to my son to use.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
In July 2012, I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 62s, the newer version of the 60. It is a huge step up!  I added a 16gb memory card and maps as well.

First of all, this one has a triaxial compass.  Like the 60, when you are moving (faster than 10fps), it determines your direction from the satellites, but when you are going slower (walking), the electronic compass takes over.  With the 60, you had to hold it flat and level and it did pretty good. With the 62, you can hold it at any angle.

This one also cycles up and calculates routes much faster.  This one comes on, calculates a full route in a matter of seconds, whereas the 60 might take up to 4-5 minutes from a cold start.

You can also add topo maps, tell it to route through the area trying to keep at the same elevation.  With the right types of maps, it can also route along a trail.

It calculates sunrise, sunset, times till each and adjusts these based on your current location.

Geocahcing is much easier with this one as well.  You can download the full cache description and hints to the GPS.

The accuracy of the 62 is a step up from the 60.  When caching, the 60 did very well, even in heavy cover, getting me to within 20 feet of the cache. The 62 gets me right on top of the cache,  almost always within 5 feet, even in heavy cover, trees.  The accuracy of the 62 is also noticeably better in rain and overcast skys.

Both are waterproof.   Garmin makes a couple of models with touchscreens, but I decided against those.  When you are using it with gloves (or cold hands), the touch screens are a bit more tricky, where as the buttons on the 62 seem to work better for me.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
The tracks from the 62 are much better as well.  I love being able to download these back to my computer and see where I have been. Here is the track from the hike last weekend.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You see in the box, if shows the distance traveled, moving time, speed and elevation changes.

Basecamp is the new software that is included with the Garmin. After I had the chance to use it for a while, I like it a lot better than the previous version - MapSource.

Here is the track from my Grand Canyon Hike (in BaseCamp). 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Docwatmo

• Tech Support
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
I'm still using my old Delorme PN20.   Rugged as hell, (I could tie it to a pack by a 20 foot cord and drag it for an entire hike and it wouldn't even hiccup .   Accurate as all get up.  (Had to update the firmware to work with geocacheing website points) and the software but it's still not as easy as the new stuff for just dumping points on the GPS, but I can get it done).   Battery is ok (Runs on 2AA), but I liked the higher end proprietary batteries in my old Garmin.  Sure the convenience of hte AA's is there, but if you have a couple of batteries or a way to charge them in the field (Solar or High end battery system) then your golden.  They would literally last 4 times as long as the 2 AA).   The data layering is amazing.   I can use everything from SAT maps to topo and aerial footage.   The screen is a little smallish, but still very usable.   I'm looking at picking up a new PN series this year.   
Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
I'm still using my old Delorme PN20.   Rugged as hell, (I could tie it to a pack by a 20 foot cord and drag it for an entire hike and it wouldn't even hiccup .   Accurate as all get up.  (Had to update the firmware to work with geocacheing website points) and the software but it's still not as easy as the new stuff for just dumping points on the GPS, but I can get it done).   Battery is ok (Runs on 2AA), but I liked the higher end proprietary batteries in my old Garmin.  Sure the convenience of hte AA's is there, but if you have a couple of batteries or a way to charge them in the field (Solar or High end battery system) then your golden.  They would literally last 4 times as long as the 2 AA).   The data layering is amazing.   I can use everything from SAT maps to topo and aerial footage.   The screen is a little smallish, but still very usable.   I'm looking at picking up a new PN series this year.   
my two AA batteries last me all summer. i just get out the gps, get a lock and info, write it down. shut it off and use my map and compass till i want another lock. the only time i ever leave it on is if im plotting an unmarked trail that i want to download to a map so i can print it.  i get 14 hours out of those two batteries if i just leave it on constantly. i love my maggellin  :thumbsup:

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
I use Energizer rechargeables.  A fresh charge will go for 18-20 hours.  I rotate two sets and have a backup set of AA's in my pack as well.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
I always keep 2 backup sets in the gps pouch.  Id use rechargables if I used it more.