June 25, 2017, 09:00:41 PM

Author Topic: OUTDOOR COOKING AND TUTORIALS  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
OUTDOOR COOKING AND TUTORIALS
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:22:35 AM »
Post you outdoor cooking demonstrations and favorite meals over an open fire here.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:34:14 AM by Holly »
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: OUTDOOR COOKING AND TUTIORALS
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:58:45 PM »
Find some yellow clay or gray fire clay

Mold like modeling clay some what and pack around potato

Cover potatos completely to about half an inch thick. I tried a bowl while I was at it

Carefully lay potatos into coals

I gave them 45 minutes just to make sure. These potatos were small so 20 minutes to a half hour would have been enough

I put on a pair of cotton gloves OUCH that wasnt enough so I used my shovel. These babies were HOT.

Now just tap gently with the back of your knife or multitool and the mud will break off and enjoy.  :thumbup:

I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 07:59:45 AM »
Awright, now you've done it!  I'm hungry!   :P   I've never tried it, but I can see it works.  You can tell that 'tater is cooked through, too.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Machine

• Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 08:13:05 AM »
That is very cool.  That looks like a tasty potato. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 11:26:25 PM »
Has anyone tried a pit lined with hot rocks and covered with leaves to bake meat?

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
Nope, but it sounds like a description of a Hawaiian Luau (sp)?.  I think they are usually cooking pork.
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

No matter where you go....there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 10:28:29 AM »
I was watching Mark and Ollie meet the Mec a show about two guys going into the jungle in Papawa on the travel channel. (It was travel or discovery) and they did a lot of hot rock roasting. Of course they had a lot better leaves to cover the pit with.

I was just wondering if we could do the with the leaves we have or something else. I wonder if green corn stalks and leaves would work?

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »
We normally cook during the summer a big mess of corn on the cob.  You soak the ears with the husks on for a couple of hours, then you put them on a grill over a medium fire and turn occasionally.  I think about 15 to 30 minutes cooks them, but that's really going to vary with the fire.  You can keep checking one ear, just pat the leaves back down on the test ear.
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

No matter where you go....there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline sh4d0wm4573ri7

• Lookout
Re: OUTDOOR COOKING AND TUTORIALS
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 10:05:06 PM »
If you cake mud around a fish or game bird (grouse for instance remove head and legs first on the bird) and bake in the coals for 30-45 minutes the entrails shrivel up and when you peel the mud off the feathers and or fish skin come off too is a trick we have used many times when lacking a pan

Offline muddog15

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
Not much clay where I live but I'll remember this in my travels.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
they use banana  leaves to cover the pork usually but i bet we could find something that would work just as good

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Ive never tried roastin a chicken in the franklin. I started be placing the breast down and then turned it over and put the lid on>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »
Ok, allow my ignorance, but what is a 'franklin'? A particular brand of wood stove?
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »
yes rock it was a widely used brand of wood stoves to heat and cook  found alot in log cabins

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
Ok, allow my ignorance, but what is a 'franklin'? A particular brand of wood stove?
Actually it got its name from Benjamin Franklin who invented it. He also realized that a stove should be in the center of a room instead of the side for air circulation. They are expensive to make these days because of a lack of demand. They are very inefficient for heat as any open faced wood burner is as they suck a lot of heat up the chimney especially as they burn down and the chimney is still hot. If I remember right Ben came up with the iron reflector plate above the fire box to radiate heat back into the room but I could be wrong.

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/frankstove.htm

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 10:55:11 PM »
Ok, here's my very FIRST tutorial (other than the finding north with the sun one that got completely ripped apart by the BBC....who by the way still hasn't proved me wrong)

So, all year I've wanted to do this and I committed to doing it before 2012, before we all die by December (according to all the producers of the discovery channel). Just so you can say you learned something new. :P

ENjoy and please, laugh all you want. I did! But really, I do hope everyone learns something from it. Because if sh*t really does hit the fan, you can survive on this food I'm showing you for a very long time because it is high in fat and protien. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:13:37 AM by Rockhounder »
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »
~ Great content Rockhounder! I actually learned something!  :whistle:   :thumbsup:

Your credits made me laugh!  :rofl:

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »
rocky great video and i subscribed to your chanle
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
Well when every body is asleep that uses Hughes Network may be I can watch it Rocky.   :reallymad:

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
Great video Rocky. Back east we get the smaller acorn's. But will pass this on to my brother's. Won't be making that up here anytime soon. Only have willow bushes here and some spruce tree's.