January 22, 2017, 04:14:57 PM

Author Topic: Self Reliance - Living Off Grid  (Read 8815 times)

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
Self Reliance - Living Off Grid
« on: September 02, 2006, 05:21:42 PM »
How many of you could survive long term in the wilderness if you could never return home?

Offline Bravo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Mountains are for the soul
    • http://www.wildsurvive.com
Re: Self Reliance - Living Off Grid
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »
With my current knowledge and experience it would be very VERY tough. But I'm improving my skills every day. Maybe someday I will be able to.
"The past is history, the future a mystery and the present a gift - thats why its called the present" Kung Fu Panda

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 08:14:49 PM »
As of right now i am learning alot but do not have the hands on skills down good enough yet but if i really had to i would have to learn quickly

Offline bobimbob

• Master Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »
If I were in good shape, permanently, just going back to my heritage, a long term vacation. :thumbup:
Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru

Offline tpahornet

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »
I feel that my chances would be pretty good. The most important thing in any situation of extreme stress would have to be personal strenghth and confidence in yourself. We all have a amazing ability to adapt and overcome harsh adversity.

adrenjunky

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 11:24:57 PM »
Very good, and would love the chance to do so.

Offline Bigblue

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:27 PM »
I feel that my chances would be pretty good. The most important thing in any situation of extreme stress would have to be personal strenghth and confidence in yourself. We all have a amazing ability to adapt and overcome harsh adversity.

Exactly!!!

A few skills wouldn't hurt either. Its something that My wife and I talk about ALL the time!! We have actually drawn up some rather detailed plans for a Proenke-style log cabin! I've taken a number of courses in traditional wood working and timber framing, my wife is as proficient at many of the fundimental bushcraft skills as I am. We are both in great physical shape, and psycologically we would propably welcome the challenge and adventure of the "living off the grid". As many of you know, I'm not the most technologically adept person around, and I doo seem to gravitate more towards a "simpler", slower, more self-reliant lifestyle.

In short:   Bring it on!!!

I take people way out into the woods and then do things with them.

SHUT UP AND POST  :P

Offline MrCoffee

• Tracker
  • The orginal Auto Drip....
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 11:11:11 AM »
I would have responded to this question much differently a week ago.

Last weekend I went camping with my 9 year old (His first backpacking trip) and found that my skills have waned a lot since i used them all the time. Even basic firemaking didnt go as well I wanted (Yeah it took my a  while, and I finally had to resort to tearing a couple of pages out of the back of my journal).

While my wife and I have planned for something to happen where we had to up and go and live off the land, I can honestly say that it wouldn't be easy. If/when I can knock some of the rust off my skills that will help. We/I could do it, but it wouldnt be my first choice.
I am NOT crazy! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years!

Offline crazy stick

• Scout
    • The-Survivalist.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 09:30:40 AM »
I would love to do it :), and have been thinking of it for years. im very confident that i could do it, the first month would probably be the hardest untill i got my 'system' down.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 02:14:10 PM »
Age can be a factor and health issues can arise, but I have an internal (almost morbid) desire to be able to do it. Not a death wish by any means. I just know I could.

Offline Larken

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 04:47:50 PM »
I've gone a week before with no real issues.  I think that I would be good until winter.  I've never had any experience surviving in the snow, although I have been camping in the winter.  From that small experience, I know that being cold constantly really gets to me mentally.  Admittedly, you can warm up a bit near a fire or in your sleeping bag, but even then, you aren't totally warm. 

Offline crazy stick

• Scout
    • The-Survivalist.com
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 07:10:27 PM »
I would be able to do it. although there of course would be very tough times, its just ignorance to think it would be a breaze. just like AJ I would LOOOOVE the chance to do it.

EDIT: I just realized that i already responded to this topic, i didnt even remember!

Offline RovingArcher

• Master Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 10:09:20 PM »
Even 3 years ago, I would have said no problemo, but today, with my medical problems, it would be tough.  Still, I'd give it the best I had and if it wasn't good enough, well, at least I fought for it. ;)
Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »
The realty is if you had to do it you would do it and you would learn by your mistakes as you went. People think they would not cope with out the modern trappings of life but take them away and it does not make much difference to our lives. And, if you had to do it for real you would not have the pressures that go with modern life, like going to work to earn a living and to pay the bills, your days would be taken up by surviving, living and prospering. We are wonderful creatures we are able to evolve and that includes adapting and overcoming quite amazing obstacles.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline woodsmoke

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 02:54:04 PM »
It would be real tough to be out there "living off the land".  North America is still full of remote corners but most are in regions that are inhospitable.  Long term survival can be accomplishd by a resolute, trained and equipped individual if one is willing to compromise.  Wild Bill Moreland is the model for this.  He spent 10 years on the run in the wilderness of the Bitteroot Range along the Montana-Idaho border.  He hunted, snared, fished and he also broke in to Forest Service lookout cabins and pilfered what he could.  Point is that to live off the grid long term you have to use what is available.  Be resourceful and not worry about "pure" survival or self imposed rules.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »
Thought I would bring this one back up.  There has been more recent comments about this topic.

Offline shrek

• Master Scout
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 09:54:11 AM »
I would love to have the chance to try it. I think I would do well. I would need to learn the art of tracking, trapping, and hunting first as I have never done any of those things. Give me the tools and I can do the job. As for living without all the modern do-dads, I'm pretty sure I could manage.
You breath in when you are born,
you breath out when you die,
In between, is your life.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 10:39:39 AM »
I believe one of the hardest tasks is keeping the food supply going strong.  It would require much time and effort.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
That is where growing your own vegtables comes into play. And good magazines for living off the grid and self relience are the following,  Countryside, Backwoods Home, BackHome, Mother Earth News, Grit. These all have articles of self relience and living off the grid.

blacksmith

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
I have but there is some things I want to get to make things better first then I want to go back to that life Alaskans do live off grid a lot it is a way of life up here no power no running water and the outhouse is the way a lot live the next house 5-10 miles or more away
I want to get wind power or something like that for lights I think a float house this time so I can fish from the window again no joke we do live this way up here