February 22, 2017, 02:38:21 AM

Author Topic: Self Reliance - Living Off Grid  (Read 8889 times)

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
Re: Self Reliance - Living Off Grid
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »
Guess it beats sitting outside and freezing to death while you fish.

Give us some details of your life up there.  Sounds very remote.

blacksmith

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 04:21:34 AM »
sorry I did not see this

well there is 300 people in this town but this not the smallest town I have lived in we have one store you can get here by boat ferry or plane it is a island  with 8 towns on it with a lot of road for southeast Alaska so you can drive to town if you want the biggest town is 1500 people and the island has about 5000 people on it
in the winter the temp. get down to about +20 so we are not cold and in the summer the temp. gets to 80 to 90 on the hot day most of the time the temps are in the 50 to 60s
people fish and hunt for a lot there food
we live on a boat in a harbor 

there is all the backpacking kayaking boating and camping you can want if you like to ruff it 

blacksmith

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 04:57:06 AM »
a lot of people live on float houses up here on that in off the grid as you can get and still live in a house a float house is belt on a log raft and tide up in a bay somewhere out of sight so no power or running water you have to have a boat to get to town and that is if the weather is good

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:12:24 AM by Swede »

Offline indiana joe

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 09:16:10 AM »
i think my chances would be good i lived off grid as a kid for over a year in arkansas mountains cooked on open fire outside outhouse
drinked rain water and from creek bath in rain and horse troth cut and sold fire wood dug and sold landscape rock with dad
did homework before dark or by oil lamp started in tin shack nailed to four trees with wood floor then built small two story house
but one wall left unfinished blankets nailed to frame for wall  during winter walked on rafters upstairs no flooring just beds laying on rafters to sleep on.woodburning stove kept very warm up there. my wife thinks this was child abuse but i think it was a learning experince
that i cherrish too this day and gives me the appreciation of what i have and the confidince that i can make it on my own without
modern things.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 09:27:31 AM »
Pretty rough childhood there Indiana Joe. I was raised on a farm and we heated the house with an old oil burning stove in the living room. I can still remember the constant oil smell. We didnt get an indoor bath room till I was in the 6th grade.

Im with you I didnt really think anything about it at the time. Now as I look back at it It does seem like child abuse but it really made me a stronger person for it.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »
I have a very hard time viewing such actions as child abuse. Most kids today would consider my childhood horrible...., no electronics, no t.v. in my room, no video games, humping a heavy shotgun or rifle through cold mud and snow, braving cold winds and rain on the river, and sweating in the garden to help provide supper, chopping and splitting firewood for heat...., I however really miss those days.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline indiana joe

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »
i miss those days too i loved it i did'nt miss tv i still played army with the boys and all sorts of other things i dream of heading back to those arkansas mtns.as for now i'm stuck in flat indiana on grid in town hating it.that time in my life was heaven on earth.

Offline tankmdg

• Lookout
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »
you and me both Joe I'm going to Alaska were blacksmith is
1: just because your paranoid don't mean their not after you
2: having and not needing is better then needing and not having

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
Tatonka is heading up to Alaska pretty soon for two years and maybe not be coming back.  :'(
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »
off the grid is the life I hope to someday have.relie on yourself.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

blacksmith

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 01:49:40 AM »
live in Alaska  a lot of people live off grid

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »
isn't everything up there expensive. :)
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:51 PM »
Kim,
      Yes things are expensive up there. But people up there make due with things. And you are off grid if you don't live in the big cities. Some of the villages in the tundra are now coming up on the grid. But there still is no sewers and waterlines in those villages. So you have to learn awhole different way of living. That is why most people up there hunt/fish. And can, smoke and dry their food for the year. You go and harvest berries and other edibles so you can eat and survive. 
And just remember that to be off grid dosen't have to mean you don't have power. There is wind/solar power options that you can use.

blacksmith

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
you are right there we lived on a boat for over a year with no power and some times we where up a river miles from town loved it but health made it so we had to move to town

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/portablewindsolarm.htm

Good info for building a emergency power backup.

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 08:19:17 PM »
I thought this was an interesting topic. As I've never lived off the grid for more then a long weekend, I don't know the answer.
Well we’re gathered together, at the sunrise of never,
To bring witness to the good big sky

Yah jokers, ya con men, ya real estate salesmen  
To bring witness to the day we all die

Wahhhhh, wah, wah-wahh wah-wahh- waaaaaaaaaah