May 23, 2017, 07:30:54 PM

Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 69953 times)

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 05:27:30 PM »
Yup, he is on Troopers forum now.
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 07:00:48 AM »
Well, just read the info there. There will be a location and a description of the area and where its hidden.Thats all there is to it.
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 08:44:25 AM »
Those are the easy ones SK.  Some of the caches are deep in the woods and off trail.  It will take a gps to locate them.  Some of the caches have multiple objectives.  Find one will will have a clue to the next cahce, then that one will have a clue to the next on and so on.  I have to come up with a item to exchange for items that are in some of the caches.  SOme of the items in the caches have a tag with a locator code on it.  The item tag might have directions to be moved to a different location.  Some of the tagged items objectives might be to go to a certain state or country or even to visit multiple counties.  When you find the tagged items you log them onto the geocaching website to log it so it can be followed.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 09:28:02 AM »
Those are the easy ones SK.  Some of the caches are deep in the woods and off trail.  It will take a gps to locate them.  Some of the caches have multiple objectives.  Find one will will have a clue to the next cahce, then that one will have a clue to the next on and so on.  I have to come up with a item to exchange for items that are in some of the caches.  SOme of the items in the caches have a tag with a locator code on it.  The item tag might have directions to be moved to a different location.  Some of the tagged items objectives might be to go to a certain state or country or even to visit multiple counties.  When you find the tagged items you log them onto the geocaching website to log it so it can be followed.

KentuckyWoodsman tells me that's one of the interesting parts of geocaching.  Not only do you find these little "treasures,"  you also find out where they came from, where they've been, and who else has found them.  Pretty neat!
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
Well the weather forecast calls for rain till Monday.  I  will proably still go out for a while but it depends on how hard it rains.   :'(
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
Well I went out caching Sunday for a few hours and discovered one thing....  this isn't as easy as I thought it would be. :scared:  Even though my gps told me I was standing right on top of it (twice) I couldn't find any of the caches. These were even in my own neighborhood where I was totally familiar with the area.  I will have to take a full day and try again.  It was kinda fun even though I wound up going alone.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 11:55:36 AM »
LOL...I have been there Dave.  I hate leaving when I haven't been able to find one.  But here is what I have found.  Once I get to the area.....I put the GPS away and start thinking like a geocacher.  Most people hide them in a spot you would use.  Under logs, cracks of trees.....things like that.  So don't worry about if the GPS says you are standing over it (in the woods you will get bounce alot of time) just think about where you would hide it....if you put it there.  Most of the time, that works.  If that doesn't work...I find yelling and kicking things around usually will turn it up.....it is addicting isn't it? 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline jeji

• Lookout
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 AM »
I used to geocache a few years ago, and my favorite items to find were travels bugs.  Some were stuffed critters, shells, etc. with a numbered and registered tag. When you found one, you had to move it into anther cache. It was great fun to see where they ended up.  One that the kids started ended up Ireland.  It was cool.  I changed my e-mail a few years back, and I stopped getting updates on the ones we started and moved.  For the life of me, I can't reember the names of the ones we were tracking.  I'll have to ask me Mum, see if she can recall.

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »
I'm going to head out and try it again this weekend.  I'm also headed to an area to walk around that I've heard you can find fossils.  It's a little off the beaten path.  Should be fun.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline jeji

• Lookout
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 12:27:22 PM »
That is one of the things I always liked about geocaching, it always seemed to take me to some place I otherwise probably wouldn't have ended up.  :grin:

What kind of fossils? That would be a great trackable to start if you found one, but I imagine something like that would disapear pretty quick too. :vanish:

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 01:16:35 PM »
I'm not sure what kind of fossils I will find.  I'll have to check and see if there are any caches in that area. I just thought it would be a cool place for a walk.  I tried to find a couple caches in my hometown but didn't have much luck.  I would have spent more time searching but I was underdressed and it was frigid out.  I will be better prepared next time.  I'm going to print up a bunch of caches this time instead of just jotting down the coords.  I'll print up the notes and hints too.  I'm trying to find  item to place in the caches in exchange for any items I might take.  I'm trying to find some small wooden or plastic squirrel figurines that are cheap and a relieable source to order from.  I got some plastic squirrels but they are $3 a piece and could add up quick if I found a bunch of spots in one day.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
I actually considered getting some business cards made up with my name and e-mail address on it plus the Wildsurvive website.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 03:45:58 PM »
Then I need some little squirrel figures made of plastic of wood.  Something cheap.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
That's it.  I've had about enough of this.  I went out today and found nothing.  I stood right on the coords I was supposed to go to, searched the area and found zilch.  It is so aggravating.  I spend almost 30 minutes in each location looking around.   :curse:
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

taken by the wind...

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 11:19:54 PM »
~ maybe somebody tampered with them, or stole them. Did you report them as missing? So other people won't go looking for them?  :blink:

Maybe that mean ole Gorn ate them before you got to them.  :glare:

ever since you changed into the Gorn you are not as happy. OR lucky...

I want Super Squirrel Back!   :cry:

Super Squirrel would've found those dumb ole geo thingies. He could've found them with one paw tied behind his little back.  :yes:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:59:01 AM by taken by the wind... »

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007, 05:35:49 AM »
I have been to a few like that Dave.  I hate it.  There is a couple that I have marked that I WILL FIND!  As taken said, sometimes people do find them accidently and take them.  Last year we searched all over for one that should have been easy to find.  We knew we were in the right spot.  Nothing.  We posted and asked the person to re-check and sure enough, it was gone.  Don't give up...look at it this way, if nothing else, it is getting you outside. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 08:19:30 AM »
OK.  I went online with a couple of master cachers and together we figured out that my gps wasn't set correct.  my datum setting was nads27 instead of wgs56 or something like that.  He told me that it can alter my coords by up to 30-50ft.  So I am going back out tonight in the dark and try again.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 08:42:11 AM »
There you go.......GET UM SUPER SQUIRREL!!!

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »
WOOHOO!!  I took part of my lunch hour and ran over to a geocache that was close by.  My new settings took me within 5ft of the cache.  From where I stood before was a difference of about 25-30yds.  No wonder I couldn't find anything.  Now I'm stoked to head out and find MORE!!
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 11:08:07 AM »
Congrats.....