June 25, 2017, 10:37:25 AM

Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 70053 times)

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2007, 07:57:19 AM »
Well I couldn't just leave all that stuff on the ground.  If you found something on the ground and knew a way you might be able to get in touch with the owner you would have gathered it up and tried to contact them too.  It's only right.  I'm headed out with my metal detector today to sweep the area one more time for anything I might have missed.  Then I'm off to try and find a few more caches.  This is sooooo much fun.  I'll try and get some video too.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
I had a very productive day today.  I bagged 6 caches today.  Man did I ever have fun.  There was tons of stuff in them  I found a few more Travel Bugs but didn't take them.  I do have their tracking numbers and will check to see where they are supposed to go.  If I can help them along their journey I'll go back and get them.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

taken by the wind...

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2007, 09:33:18 PM »
~ I'm glad you had a fun day today Dave!  :cool:  that does sound like a ton of fun!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
Hey Dave Ive been looking at geocashing in Illinois and I have found a few websites. Do you have to join a website? How do you find the gps cowardanance to the caches?Where do you get the travel bugs?
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »
I use http://www.geocaching.com/   I did sign up for the site (it's free) so I could log my finds.  It's not neccassary though.  You can still find the coords for your area by entering your zip code in the top right hand corner.  When you choose a cache make sure you take note of a few things....

Cache size...  The micros are really small and difficult to spot sometimes.  They also don't have much geoswag in them.  Larger canisters are more fun.  They are easier to spot and have tons of stuff in them. 

Difficulty....  This is how well it's hid.  I found that even 3 star caches can be found within just a few minutes of looking around.  I haven't don a 5 star yet.

Terrain.....   TThis is pretty easy.  The higher the rating the tough it will be to get to.

Once you enter your zip code you will get a list of caches near you.  They will range from closet to farthest away.  Click on a cache and you will get a description of the cache, you will get coords too.  Make sure you go into your gps settings and make sure your datum is set for WGS84.  This is what most geocachers use to locate caches.  Most maps use NAD27.  This is a older system and you gps can off by up to 200 meters from cache locations.  So it's important you set up right.

You can order Travel Bugs from here.  You'll have to register at geocaching.com to utilize the tracking system.  Here you can set up the conditions for your bug wieither its traveling to another country or to visit a specific cache.  Then you can register the Travel Bug number and watch as it travels around the country. 
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2007, 11:27:43 AM »
Now I don't know whether to ask for a GPS for Christmas or my food dehydrator!  Decisions...decisions...

Or a GLOCK, or a Rock River, or.... :rofl:
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
This is so great Dave, I love hearing about all of your "Adventures"
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »
Why hear about it when you can watch them!! :bounce: :clap:

Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »
I found the right gps numbers but the cache was accross a corn field that had been disked and I wasnt going to walk accross it in the rain.

When I google earthed it it was way off where I found it how come Dave?
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
Maybe Google Earth uses a different datum setting than geocachers.  I looked on my gps and there are dozens of different datum setting.  I'm not sure what the difference is between them all.  Google Earth uses WGS84 datum. A datum is used to describe the actual shape of the earth in mathematical terms. This is because the earth's surface is not perfectly round, but ellipsoid in shape. A datum also defines the association of latitude and longitude coordinates to points on the surface of the earth, and defines the basis for elevation measurements.  Check you GPS and see what the setting is.  It should be under settings.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »
My etrex had wgs84 as the default. It was way more than 200 meeters off from google earth and my etrex.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2007, 06:19:49 PM »
Dave, you just contributed to another hobby, darn you. So i go on the geocaching site and lo and behold, there are TONS of caches around my house, so off we went. We stopped by the first two and couldn't find anything so we went to one by the Foresthill Bridge, highest bridge in California, and after hiking around for a half hour...BAM! We found it. So we went back to the other two and found those too. I'm hooked! My profile on the site is rockhounder38.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2007, 06:20:06 PM »
Then I'm not sure why it's so far off buddy.  If Google Earth and your GPS are set the same then they should be right on.   :blink:
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »
I rechecked the cache and it is where google earth says they are. There a dozens in that area. Ill recheck my etrex settings. There just a few miles from my house.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »
I rechecked the cache and it is where google earth says they are. There a dozens in that area. Ill recheck my etrex settings. There just a few miles from my house.

Swede,

I have a Magellan Sportrax Map, I noticed that of the four caches I found, I was an average of 9 feet off. The closest was 3 feet and the furthest was 20 feet. When I find more caches I'll figure a standard deviation (for my gps unit) and maybe that will help with field searches.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »
The hardest one to find today was a film canister that was looped with bailing wire and had a hook on it. They hooked the dangling cache into a cyclone fence pole and put the cap over it so all you could see was the little wire stick out from under the pipe cap on the top of the pole. I have to remember that one!

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »
The hardest one to find today was a film canister that was looped with bailing wire and had a hook on it. They hooked the dangling cache into a cyclone fence pole and put the cap over it so all you could see was the little wire stick out from under the pipe cap on the top of the pole. I have to remember that one!
  That's one of those microcaches.  They are real tough to find.  You can put them almost anywheres.After I get my own cache up everyone is going to have to send me something.  I want to make a plastic piece with the Wildsurvive emblem on it and attach a Travel Bug.  We could get some cool people on the forum like that.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2007, 06:44:46 PM »
It was set wrong. Now Ill try again tomorrow.  :thumbup:

Im Wildsurvivor. They already had a Swede  :( 

taken by the wind...

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2007, 06:45:36 PM »
:woot: :thumbsup:  I've been watching your video's Dave, They're awsome!  :bounce: (I particularly like the fear factor you added by reminding us that it's hunting season and you weren't wearing orange...)  :scared:

My little girl was watching it with me and she said at the end of the 2nd video  " Oh WAIT! That Green thing!!" then you ended the video. Then at the beginning of part 3, you took the green thing (that was a dog!)  She said "Mommy why did he keep the thing I wanted?"  happy097.gif

I guess she heard me talking about what you were doing, and in her mind she thought she could go out and find that same box! LOL!  :rofl:

Offline gearjunky

• Master Scout
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »
with my garmin vista can i do this?