March 24, 2017, 04:47:40 PM

Author Topic: What is the strangest thing you've seen outdoors?  (Read 7890 times)

Offline newzealandsurvival

• Lookout
Re: What is the strangest thing you've seen outdoors?
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
not really strange but I do see some very interesting things by not pulling the trigger, I filmed some pigs eating the flowers off some broom bushes, which are also good human food, high in protien.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 05:57:19 AM »
I was out geocaching on a trail one time in the early fall and a squirrel was digging in the leaves, making a lot of noise.  I worked up really close to it and was not noticed until I was about 5 feet away.  It looked up and bolted, jumped for the little tree....and missed.  Landed with a thud, rolled, got up, looked around like "What the hell??" and scrambled off to another tree.

Another time, I was sitting in a tree stand, and a couple of squirrels were chasing around in the trees next too me.  All was going well, until I heard a thump and something hit the leaves below.  Looked down, one of the squirrels had fallen out of the tree and was laying on the ground dazed.  It got up, looked around confused and then scurried back up the a tree.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline Docwatmo

• Tech Support
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
One of the strangest things I've seen was just last weekend.  Were hiking in the park with the family and a dozen cranes took off and made a ruckus I'd never heard before.  Sounded like howler monkeys doing their thing while strangling screaming people beating the air with their gigantic wings.   I've seen one or two before, but never that many together at once and making THAT much racket.  It was quite unnerving for about 6 or 8 seconds until they cleared the trees and I could see them.
Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
One time I was over at K-Wood's place when we were kids (late teens).  We were sitting out in his front yard on a clear night, looking out across a small valley.  Suddenly a small, pale blue light--like a light a flashlight would focus on the ground but without seeing the 'beam'--ran from the top of the opposite ridge across the valley and right between K-Woods and me, and then back to the opposite ridge.  I sat there without saying anything thinking that my eyes were playing tricks on me.  K-Woods didn't say anything either, so I figured I'd imagined it.  A few moments later it happened again.  I looked over at K-Woods and asked, "Did you just see that light?"  With a lot of relief he said something like "You saw it too?!  I thought I was seeing things!"  or words to that effect.   It didn't happen again and I've never seen anything like it since.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline KentuckyWoodsman

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
  • Keeping a low profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
One time I was over at K-Wood's place when we were kids (late teens).  We were sitting out in his front yard on a clear night, looking out across a small valley.  Suddenly a small, pale blue light--like a light a flashlight would focus on the ground but without seeing the 'beam'--ran from the top of the opposite ridge across the valley and right between K-Woods and me, and then back to the opposite ridge.  I sat there without saying anything thinking that my eyes were playing tricks on me.  K-Woods didn't say anything either, so I figured I'd imagined it.  A few moments later it happened again.  I looked over at K-Woods and asked, "Did you just see that light?"  With a lot of relief he said something like "You saw it too?!  I thought I was seeing things!"  or words to that effect.   It didn't happen again and I've never seen anything like it since.

That was one of the wildest things I have ever seen. Keep in mind this was before the time of laser pointers.
It is not the strong, but the responsive that survive.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
That was one of the wildest things I have ever seen. Keep in mind this was before the time of laser pointers.

~ This is interesting...  I LOVE weird stuff we saw when we were younger that we've kind of forgotten about! Seriously... you guys are WAY smarter than you were when you were teens. So What do you think it could've possibly been? (I still can't explain stuff that happened when I was younger.)  :nono:

Thanks for sharing.  :thumbup:

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »
Honestly, I'm still puzzled about it.  If lasers came in blue (this was the late 80's) at the time I could almost believe that it was laser satellite mapping or some such thing.  But I don't know what it was, even to this day I can't explain it.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Docwatmo

• Tech Support
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.  :P  (Loved Men in Black LOL)

I've seen a few weird things, but that would make my hair stand on end.

Doc
Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline KentuckyWoodsman

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
  • Keeping a low profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
~ This is interesting...  I LOVE weird stuff we saw when we were younger that we've kind of forgotten about! Seriously... you guys are WAY smarter than you were when you were teens. So What do you think it could've possibly been? (I still can't explain stuff that happened when I was younger.)  :nono:

Thanks for sharing.  :thumbup:

I really wish I could tell you what I thought it was, but I don't have a clue. I have seen a lot and experienced a lot since then and have never seen anything like it again.
It is not the strong, but the responsive that survive.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
I think the most scared I have ever been in the woods was when I was walking a trail and saw a dead deer, looked like a Coyote kill.  The sky was very cloudy and there was a light wind.  Everything just seemed quiet and so still.  I felt like the world was closing in around me.  I got the hell out of there, it was freaky...

Otherwise...  Nothing really.  Haven't seen too many interesting things.
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline newzealandsurvival

• Lookout
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »
could have been a zombie coyote, damn you were lucky

Offline offtrail

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »
A deer head with rack stuck in a tree, it took me some time to work the rack out of the tree. No other bones were seen , the location was in a flood plain so they could have washed away. The rack was on the small side and about 5 feet off the ground.
It's better to burn out then fade away

Offline Sharen

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 06:57:40 PM »
When our old cabin was out in the woods of his Dad's, now ours. I woke up early before Swede, I heard the sound of, like two little kids holding hands walking outside the cabin. That's what i pictured it like, from the sound. Who would be out walking in the early morning, specially two small kids. The only thing I could see were two squirrels.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
I swear I saw a red wolf once. I know coyotes and can easily tell a coyote when I see one. this was way to tall, way to lanky and way to red.  it stopped, locked eyes with me for a second or two, then continued on its way. 
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »
That exact same thing happened to me years ago. He got up out of the big sloping ditch and took off running, stopped dead and turned to look right at me. Redish long hair bigger then a fox about the size of a big coyote. At first I thought it was a stray dog but you could tell it was wild. It was back far enough that coyotes weren't in Illinois yet. It was one of those "what the hell did I just see" moments.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »
This was twice the size of any coyote ive ever seen. I researched it and they have been spotted this far south.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need