August 19, 2017, 12:21:51 AM

Author Topic: World's easiest firestarting technique  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Machine

• Survivalist
Re: World's easiest firestarting technique
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
It is because you had an audience.  That always happens to me.  LOL.  I hate it. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline Bigblue

• Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »
Damn!! I knew it, but your comment just confirmed it Kevin.

Ohhhh welll.
I take people way out into the woods and then do things with them.

SHUT UP AND POST  :P

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »
I have to give this a try.  It will could come in handy getting a fire started on those rainy nights out hiking. 

Hey Blue!  Does it have to be crushed or will it burn in tablet form? :huh:
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

given to the sea...

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
~ The Pond form of Pottasium Permanganate that I have,  isn't in tablet form. It's more like a crystal powder form. I haven't brought myself to burn any of it just for an experiment....   :unsure:

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 06:19:47 PM »
This discussion and information kinda makes me uneasy because of its potential in the wrong hands. I suppose its not nearly as bad as gasoline and a lighter but I can see expermenting by some younger people with the potential of becomming a problem.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »
This discussion and information kinda makes me uneasy because of its potential in the wrong hands. I suppose its not nearly as bad as gasoline and a lighter but I can see expermenting by some younger people with the potential of becomming a problem.
I play with fire Swede, but I play SAFE!!!
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
  • www.BatAndBalloonWar.com
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~waltsned
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »

One piece of nervous-making information:

I am NOT going to list them here, but just as simple as PP and baby oil is, there are a BUNCH of "innocuous" and common-as-dirt things available to make pyrotechnics, high- and low-brisance explosives, and the like.  There is a way to may explosives with PP, and I aint telling.

But I WILL tellya that if you turned me loose in any normal supermarket, I would be able to  construct explosives of varying kinds without breaking a sweat.

The scary thing is there is simply no way to ensure that kids will not find out.  So the answer is EXACTLY the same as with guns:  YOU TEACH THE KIDS about them, and ensure that they respect them.

Kids who have been instructed in the use and realities of firearms are fields safer that kids who have not.  So if you remove the "unknown" factor, you reduce the risk.

But... since that is MY take onnit, and others may not agree... you will have to find out how to make yer own dang explosives from common materials.

Offline wareagle

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »
well i was driving to work this am usually takes and hour plus  so lots of time to think was all ready to run out and buy some and got to thinking if i wanna spend ten bucks to buy something to carry in the bush to start a fire i'd buy a .99 cent lighter although i do enjoy the info my idea is to try and carry less into the woods so i think i'll stick with the hand drill. very informative though thanks much

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »
Does this mixture burn quickly or slowly?  How much time do I have once a flame catches?  Will it burn hot enough to get wet tinder going on a rainy day? 
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

Offline Bigblue

• Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
Dave - My pile of PP powder amounted to about 1 tbsp. To that I added about 1 tsp(or a bit less) of glycerine. The resulting flame burned hot and furious, but only lated maybe 20 seconds. This may have been enough heat and time to light a small pile of damp tinder. I suppose that greater amounts of both ingred would produce a longer lasting flame, but that's what I experienced. I will do some more experimentation with tinders, dry and wet.

Wareagle - I whole-heartedly agree with your "less is better" thought. When I head out I usually take two BIC lighters that I use to light fires most of the time. I'll also take a ferro rod, and a cord and bearing block for a bow drill to experiment with different on-site tinders.  However, in the interest of expanding my ability and knowlege I do like to play with stuff. So, that's why this chemical fire experiment has captured my interest. I dought I'll ever take PP and glycerine out into the way back and beyond (unless to pass the time with experimentation on a rainy day), although it kina' neat to know this actually works.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
I think when Les Stroud demonstrated this technique on his show it was the contents of a first aid kit and his point was another emergency fire starting method.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 06:56:26 AM »
mmm i have used PP for years with many other substances but i have never heard of using baby oil before, i will have to give this a go.

PP is affected by environmental conditions and can take up to 30 mins to combust. Damp, humidity, wind and temperature all affect it.

If you mix PP and sugar you can light it with friction or light it sparks.

Its good stuff but it environmental impact are to big to be used in modern survival kits and a word of warning do not breath in the smoke.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bigblue

• Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 07:25:20 AM »

"....a word of warning do not breath in the smoke."

Ohhhh **wheeze, cough, cough** sure...... now ya **cough** tell me!!  :'(

Actually I read that a while back in a tutorial posted on another forum, and I darn well should have included that helpfull bit of info in my preceeding posts.

Your comments about PP's drawbacks due to temp, humidity, etc could be why I experienced my dud ignition last weekend.

Thank you Adi!!  :arigato:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:14:38 AM by Bigblue »

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 07:41:13 AM »
Not a problem mate i love pp though its great for teasing the kids with, mmm come to think of it many adults are amazed too

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 03:10:53 PM »
A note of warning to anyone without experience in using these methods, don't walk away leaving the materials unattended thinking they will never work because they are old.  Once mixed, make sure they burn one way or another.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »
Good point Lost Well done.

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »
A note of warning to anyone without experience in using these methods, don't walk away leaving the materials unattended thinking they will never work because they are old.  Once mixed, make sure they burn one way or another.

Well said. Add to that, the possibility that this stuff leaking in your backpack or something, so it's probably better leaving it at home safely in a medicine cabinet. 

It would make a great party trick to show off one's 'survival' prowess tho.  :thumbsup:
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »
another chemical ive played with that does the same thing is automotive break fluid and hth chlorinating compound(found in the swimming pool section of walmart.  put one tablespoon of the hth powder in a small metal dish and add 1/2 the same break fluid. in about 30-45 seconds to about 2 minuts it will burst into flames. a real high heat flame. it dosnt last a long time but it will ignite any tinder you have pretty easy.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
Have you considered gasoline?  lol
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh