April 30, 2017, 07:43:46 AM

Author Topic: 2008 - April/May 'Wild Survive' Contest  (Read 9992 times)

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
2008 - April/May 'Wild Survive' Contest
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
The 2008 - April & May Contest is going to be a bit different, so more time will be necessary. 
Some nice donations have been made for this one, so I would really like to see some seriously deep thought and action put into this one. 
You have nearly two months to get 'er done.

Contest Scenario:
You have the opportunity to survive an urban disaster. 
Let’s see how well you will handle some of the complications that can develop.

The Event:

You have just heard sirens from the main street near where you live.  Nothing new for you, just the normal sirens for a local accident or fire.  Two minutes pass and more sirens, only this time they are announcing over a public address system that everyone must evacuate from their homes and leave now. 

“There is a threat to human life and all residents MUST LEAVE NOW.”  “Evacuate your homes now.” 

For an instant your mind begins to think, ‘this is real, but what do I need to take with …’    but there’s no time left for the next thought before you hear explosions rocking from a nearby natural gas plant.  As the explosions continue, they are growing louder and closer.  You instantly realize that the underground pipelines are erupting as well.  There is no time to think, just get away from the area as fast as possible.  These lines run all through your neighborhood.

You are alone at this particular moment and you have to leave.  Here is where the complications begin.  You know the neighborhood is erupting in explosions and as you run outside through your door you see homes being caught up in fire.  You are in a bombing zone just waiting to go next.  Out the door, you begin to flee away from the devastation.  Unfortunately, you do not get very far when an extension of piping under the ground blows up and blasts you across a debris field and into the neighbor’s yard.

As you regain some awareness and start to move, the pain in your body begins to speak out and screams for you to lie still for a second because you are hurt.  You have sustained some injuries and as you call for help you finally realize you are alone right now.  Either everyone else had already left or they are in worse condition than you. 

Okay, get a grip and start thinking for yourself.  This is no time to panic.  Determining your injuries, you know you have some cuts on the face and there is blood in your eyes.  You slowly begin to feel a sharp pain in your left arm.  As you feel just above the elbow you realize the left arm is broken.  Your legs are doing okay because the pieces of debris are just sticking slightly into the skin and not going deeply into your flesh.  As you try to wipe the blood from your eyes you can see somewhat, but your eyes are really burning.  You close them for while longer to make sure you don’t loose what sight you have and may need later on.  You need to bandage them so you won’t use them yet.  You need to care for your left arm.  You need to remove any small sharp splinters in your flesh and clothing before taking the next required step.  You are not in an immediate threat from the fires, and the explosions have stopped and are just shooting flames from the pipeline openings now.  Only a couple of houses have remained untouched by the flames.  It will take about 24 hours for everyone to get the help they need as rescue workers are putting out fires and searching for bodies all over.

In the meantime your own survival begins here.  

You must care for your injuries, you must make a shelter for the weather is cold and hypothermia will most certainly be an issue.  You went out of your home with absolutely nothing.  Describe in great detail each of the next steps you have to take and as a requirement for the contest you need to build shelter outside of your home with a blindfold on since you are trying to save your sight.  It is highly recommended and suggested that a family member only be there for your safety and commitment.  They will also be the one to photograph your progress.  Since 24 hours is your time frame, I suggest a weekend family project, but only you can actually do the work in making shelter and caring for your own needs. 

Now start planning as this contest ends May 31, 2008.
You can do this anytime between now and then. 
Make sure captions accompany the photos as explanation of your progress. 
Tell us your story anytime, but make sure it is in completion before posting your info. 
That way it all stays together.   Post it here in this topic when ready.

Offline theking648

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Geeking out
    • SilverCG
Re: 2008 - March/April 'Wild Survive' Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »

You have nearly two months to get 'er done.

really two months?? i'm no expert but i would say today is april 4th....  i'm very sure march comes before april.  and this end's april 30th 2008

so i think that makes it 27 days.

LOL

www.SilverCG.com | www.Candition.com
like a night at the cottage, except I have no food, no friends, and no beer. ― Les Stroud
"keep the mountain in mountain biking" - Thomas Vanderham
"Friends do not let friends use IE6" - Amy Barzdukas

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
Re: 2008 - April/May 'Wild Survive' Contest
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
Yeah I just saw that and changed it.  Dumb huh?

Offline theking648

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Geeking out
    • SilverCG
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
Yeah I just saw that and changed it.  Dumb huh?

O ok that makes more sense.  :rofl:

hey may 30th.... my birthday.  BTW there are 31 days in may this year.
like a night at the cottage, except I have no food, no friends, and no beer. ― Les Stroud

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
Missed that one too.  All fixed. 

Hey King, thanks for your help - I needed that didn't I?  I read over and over and still missed it.  Dang.  doh.gif

Offline theking648

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Geeking out
    • SilverCG
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »
Missed that one too.  All fixed. 

Hey King, thanks for your help - I needed that didn't I?  I read over and over and still missed it.  Dang.  doh.gif

it's a friday.... no one wants to do any work today.  :rofl:

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »
Whoa!!!
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:13:38 AM »
Lost,
    Thats ok it understandable with all the laughing today. :rofl:

Offline MrCoffee

• Tracker
  • The orginal Auto Drip....
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 10:20:04 AM »
Lost,

What a great idea for the conest... I like it alot. My question is.... are we allowed to use the items we have prepared in advance for this type of event? In my case... the Bug out preps I have? Or....items from my BOV (assuming it is disabled). Or any of the prepreation if we have already made some? Or is this using strictly what we can improvise with, our preparations are destroyed/damaged/unusable?

I am NOT crazy! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years!

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »
I know, it hurts to laugh that hard.  Can't wait for this one.  I hope I got all the typos out this time.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 10:25:10 AM »
Lost,

What a great idea for the conest... I like it alot. My question is.... are we allowed to use the items we have prepared in advance for this type of event? In my case... the Bug out preps I have? Or....items from my BOV (assuming it is disabled). Or any of the prepreation if we have already made some? Or is this using strictly what we can improvise with, our preparations are destroyed/damaged/unusable?

This is a strictly out the door with nothing, except with the clothes on your back.
Read the damage report carefully as there are ways to procure.
Best wishes to everyone.

Offline wareagle

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 01:32:11 PM »
hmmm this is going to be diffucult to imagine since i live off the grid and have several buildings and trailer on the property

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »
Yes difficult perhaps, but survival can be thrown on us at a moments notice. 
You have to keep in mind what will be available once you come out of the blasts and fires.
Read carefully word for word, then improvise.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
How exciting!  Who gets the movie rights? :woot:  Hey!  It could happen!  :hugegrin: 
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »
It does happen.

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »
hmmm this is going to be diffucult to imagine since i live off the grid and have several buildings and trailer on the property

Not to highjack this, but do you think you could start a Q & A about living off the grid? I am sure alot of people would have questions and be interested.
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
That would be a great topic Machine. Wareagle, yes, could you?

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 12:36:34 AM »
Wareagle,
         You can think of it as when you did live on the grid. Or if you can't then imagine that a tornado of F4 magnitude tore through your place or a earthquake of 6 on the richter scale happened. That might help you. But the scenerio would be the same. Urban survival.
But yes that would be a great topic to start a new thread for. Off Grid living. :thumbup:

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 08:18:32 AM »

Tatonka has the right idea.  Put the mind to work here and think about all the possibilities.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »
This is a strictly out the door with nothing, except with the clothes on your back.
Read the damage report carefully as there are ways to procure.
Best wishes to everyone.

As it was brought to my attention, some of you wear multi-tools, pocket knives, etc. on you all the time  (except in the shower - lol) so if these items are attached to your belt or in a pocket as a usual carry item, then I will allow them.  No major gear though.

Carry on.