March 24, 2017, 04:55:45 PM

Author Topic: 2008 - April/May 'Wild Survive' Contest  (Read 9836 times)

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
Re: 2008 - April/May 'Wild Survive' Contest
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »
A little more info for your amusement.

As the bird flies, in a distance of less than 5 or 6 miles from my doorstep is a gas plant.  Today, as I rode past my local natural gas plant I noticed a high volume of construction.  Since I had been notified months ago in a community paper that this construction was going to take place I thought it best to prepare a small amount of goods and toss them into my vehicle.  All is well, except that when I saw the amount of construction going on, I wished I had a home in another county.

The crew is laying a 6 foot in diameter (VERY BIG) pipeline through the ground.  Some of the smaller ones they have are about 2 feet in diameter.  I would just like you all to give thought to what a 6 foot pipeline explosion would do.  Not to mention the plant itself.  How many times does anyone here ride down a road and see the gas lines (orange pipes) sticking up out of the ground about 3 feet with a little 8-10 inch sign that says "Underground Gas Line" on it?  Have you considered where they run and how far they go underground?  It will behoove every member - participating in the contest or not, to think about what goes under the ground in your neighborhood.

Okay, carry on.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »
We have one literally 10 feet from our property.
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 02:50:55 PM »
We have one literally 10 feet from our property.

SK: Are you allowed to photograph the site?  If so send a piture and place it here in the contest for others to see.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »

SK: Are you allowed to photograph the site?  If so send a piture and place it here in the contest for others to see.
We have an underground gas line, not the whole plant, sorry for the misunderstanding
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
okay.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 07:03:04 AM »
Doesn't anyone feel up to a little challenge?

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 08:23:09 PM »
Tomorrow is the last day for this little challenge. 
If one can not do it while sitting calmly at a computer, how can you expect to rise above the reality when it hits?

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
 oops.gif  give us a little more time. My cook out thing interfered with it Im afraid. Ill slap the boys around and get them on this. Sorry.  :blushing:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Gandar

• Bushmaster
    • Full Spectrum Survival
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »
Lost,

This is really cool.

I haven't seen this thread until today. We need to make a frontpage spot for contests so they're always visible.

Is there any way you can extend it for 15 days?  I can't get to it tomorrow for sure and possibly not Sunday but I would really like to add to it.

Please please please......

If not, it's okay but I'd really like to.

Gandar
Run when you have to, fight when you must and rest when you can.

I hope I'm never in a survival situation; I may just like it's simplicity and decide to stay there.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 02:47:43 AM »
I second this request as my life has been really hectic lately...., I need more time.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »
Okay, I have had so many pleas, how can I say no.

Set your minds to it, and the deadline will be moved to the end of JUNE!

I know you all can do something - anything?

Offline Gandar

• Bushmaster
    • Full Spectrum Survival
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »
Hehe.

Thanks for the time addition :)
Run when you have to, fight when you must and rest when you can.

I hope I'm never in a survival situation; I may just like it's simplicity and decide to stay there.

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 07:34:58 PM »
Thanks Lost.  I needed........I mean.......Those procrastinators needed more time........ :whistle:   :hugegrin:
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »
All of you procrastinators are lucky. As I would have not been so kind. :nop:

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
That is my good natured side.  If, as someone once said, I were running things like a drill instructor, everyone would not be given a second chance.  But since you are allowed more time, there will be a complication thrown in.  Get to thinking and you will all be told what it is in a few days.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 03:17:02 AM »
 :)    ;)           :thumbup:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »
Okay, here we go.  Go back and read carefully all instructions.  The allowance of whatever you may carry regularly in your pockets may be used, such as a multitool, lighter, etc.  Not a complete EDC.  We are also going to add one further burden since unexepected complications can occur in reality.

As crews begin to go to the source, the gas flow will be shut off. So, if the idea of sitting near a gas fire to warm yourself is an idea, forget it.  No pipe spewing gas fires for heat, due to it being totally unsafe after the explosion.  And to top it off the nations mid section and north east are in a cold spell with record lows being recorded daily, the south is being deluged by a tropical depression and out west they have record rains and flooding. So where you live, regardless, you have adverse weather to deal with.  Now it has become a whole new game of survival along with the urban diaster and having to survive with out your home. 

This addition will be the penalty for tardiness.  We really do not know what will come in our lives, and I hope that never should a thing like this occur, but if it does, I would like to believe some are ready for it.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
Ok, but you're the one who is going to have to read all of this  :P

Not all who wander are lost

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 10:21:23 AM »
For natural gas, pipelines are constructed of carbon steel and varying in size from 2 inches (51 mm) to 56 inches (1,400 mm) in diameter, depending on the type of pipeline. The gas is pressurized by compressor stations and is odorless unless mixed with a mercaptan odorant where required by the proper regulating body.

Pipeline networks are composed of several pieces of equipment that operate together to move products from location to location.

- Block Valve Station - These are the first line of protection for pipelines. With these valves the operator can isolate any segment of the line for maintenance work or isolate a rupture or leak. Block valve stations are usually located every 20 to 30 miles (48 km), depending on the type of pipeline. Even though it is not a design rule, it is a very usual practice in liquid pipelines. The location of these stations depends exclusively on the nature of the product being transported, the trajectory of the pipeline and/or the operational conditions of the line.

- Regulator Station - This is a special type of valve station, where the operator can release some of the pressure from the line. Regulators are usually located at the downhill side of a peak.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 10:43:48 AM »
As a near life long carer in construction I have cut one gas line. These urban lines are hard to detect because they are plastic. However they do have instruments that can detect them plus all lines are carefully documented and mapped by the government and the gas compines. Local governments in the maintence dept have near instant access to this information. Representatives from the gas companies when notified of construction in an area where lines exist come and mark the exact location of the lines.

The problem with gas lines is they are not buried below frost lines and sometimes merely sticking a spade in the ground can cut a line.The plastic lines are yellow and are usually 2 or 3 inch. The problem is as soon as the line is cut an automatic regulator increases the flow to make up for a possible shortage. So the more the flow is allowed to escape the more pressure is applied automatically.

In my case the labor boss on the job dove on the pipe and kinked it over or folded it because it was plastic basically stopping the flow.

When a main line is cut or broken safety valves are closed stopping the flow. However until that happens a huge column of fire will erupt.

Since natural gas is heavier than air if it has settled in a low enclosed area the possibility of an explosion could occur. If the leak is in the open than the gas will flow away from the source and an explosion will not be as bad but fire shooting up is likely.

I saw what happens when a dozer hit and breaks a main gas line. It was out on flat ground and the resulting fire shot straight up. Unfortunately the operator was severely burned, jumped from the dozer and ran into the woods where he was eventually found dead.