January 22, 2017, 04:15:13 PM

Author Topic: 2008 - April/May 'Wild Survive' Contest  (Read 9700 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: 2008 - April/May 'Wild Survive' Contest
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
In anticipation of this expected increase in power demand, new exploration for natural gas has been underway in Canada's Arctic. New pipelines are planned to move large volumes of natural gas to Canadian and American markets. Clean-burning natural gas is the preferred fuel for thermal power stations. It is collected from a multiplicity of wells using pipes as small as 3-inches in diameter, then transported over long distances through pipelines that measure between 16-inches to 48-inches in diameter. Interstate pipes that branch off from the main pipeline measure 24-inches to 36-inches diameter, while lateral pipes would measure 6-inches to 16-inches. Local delivery pipes would measure 0.5-inches to 3-inches diameter, with pressure as low as 3-psi.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
Along with gas lines in an urban area are cable TV, water, sewage, electricity, phone,and storm sewer. You DO NOT want to cut a fiber optic phone line. That can run into five figures to repair.Ive had to locate optic lines by digging with a back hoe. It is VERY nerve racking work.You scratch a little and a laborer probes the ground than scratch some more until the laborer hits the cable.

Before construction begins the city maintenance dept comes and marks the area to the best information available. I cut a 50 pair phone line once and dug up a street valve (water shut off) once.   :blush:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
Along with gas lines in an urban area are cable TV, water, sewage, electricity, phone,and storm sewer. You DO NOT want to cut a fiber optic phone line. That can run into five figures to repair.Ive had to locate optic lines by digging with a back hoe. It is VERY nerve racking work.You scratch a little and a laborer probes the ground than scratch some more until the laborer hits the cable.

Before construction begins the city maintenance dept comes and marks the area to the best information available. I cut a 50 pair phone line once and dug up a street valve (water shut off) once.   :blush:
While building the Hixson branch of the Suntrust bank here our operator dug into a six inch gas line, we were right across the street from a day care. Talk about some tight..........

Not all who wander are lost

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
When I cut that gas line I jumped out of the back hoe and left it running.  :D  and showed them an old fat guy can run pretty fast.   :woot:

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »
A gas leak in a house where the basement fills with gas can be devastating. Ive seen a house literally destroyed.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
For natural gas, pipelines are constructed of carbon steel and varying in size from 2 inches (51 mm) to 56 inches (1,400 mm) in diameter, depending on the type of pipeline.

As I said before, the local gas plant just installed a 6 foot pipeline.  That is tall enough for me to stand inside of with room to spare.  It may be something new they are using, I don't know.  I need to run up and get those photos.

The other info may be helpful for some to rationalize on the seriousness of such a possibility. 

Recently, a man in the next township had just walked out of his house and before he reached his car, his whole house exploded from a gasline leak inside.  He did not smeel a thing and if he had not walked out the door when he had, they would have been trying to locate pieces to bury.  Matter of a fact the only thing they found nearby was one golfclub up in a tree.

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 08:28:40 AM »
I've looked at this one a couple of times and just can't do it.  When I was about 12 or 13, I was told that I could very well be blind in a few years.  Since then, blindness has been a very real fear of mine, and while this might be a good exercise, I'd rather keep the fear and continue to protect my eyes.  I buy the big ugly glasses, to better protect them, when I get under the car or do something in the shop, I wear goggles, I'm just very careful with my eyes.  It's a fascinating scenario, but without my glasses, I'm terrifying close to what you describe anyway.  I keep all my old glasses and frames and have them distributed to every vehicle.  Which by the way is a good idea for anyone with glasses, and even if you wear contacts, you should have a set of glasses in your survival kits, car kits, and house kits.  Contacts won't be available in a survival situation.  Glasses also save your eyes from a lot of physical damage, so it is something to think about.

I didn't want you to think I just didn't do it...I'll maybe try one of your next scenarios...but the blindness thing is a big fear for me.
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

No matter where you go....there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
Nurkerool my dad has a bad case of macular degeneration. (sorry Lost for getting off subject) and has left his home leaving just about everything he owns. Ive been asking him what he wants to do with the stuff. It was than I realized just how much you lose with your eyesight.

His guns, hunting bow, knives, books,arrowhead collection,shooting trophy's,family pictures,television, news paper,magazines, even the view from his country home mean nothing anymore.

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:11 AM »
My grandfather had the very same thing.  That's why I protect my eyes from the sunlight, and take Occuvite vitamins.  For a while I was eating all the raw spinach I could, and still eat a sprig or two of mint a day.  However, if you are talking to your dad, he can still see in his mind's eye any of the glorious things that he HAS seen.  If you ask him to remember what it looked like and describe it...it might help.  The arrowhead collection can be accessed with his fingers and it might be fun to do that as well.  I always considered that if I went blind, I would completely fall in love with "talking books".

Sorry for thread hijacking as well, but it has spurred some thinking about blindness.

My grandfather's blindness deeply depressed him, as he could no longer do woodworking.  He could see to get around, but any fine work was beyond him.  We tried to be around him as much as possible and get him to tell stories, and he enjoyed that.  He's been gone now 10 years...and I miss him every day still.  Every time I do a bit of carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, digging, or just tinkering with something trying to fix it or make something new....he's there...whispering in my ear...and I wish he was still here to see all the projects he inspired.  My dad was the one that taught me hunting, fishing, baseball, football, and he took up archery when I did...I miss him too.  He died in March, and Pap died in August of that same year.
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »
Here is the part in the contest that discusses the eyes:

Determining your injuries, you know you have some cuts on the face and there is blood in your eyes.  You slowly begin to feel a sharp pain in your left arm.  As you feel just above the elbow you realize the left arm is broken.  Your legs are doing okay because the pieces of debris are just sticking slightly into the skin and not going deeply into your flesh.  As you try to wipe the blood from your eyes you can see somewhat, but your eyes are really burning.  You close them for while longer to make sure you donít loose what sight you have and may need later on.  You need to bandage them so you wonít use them yet.

Lets theorize about any real fear that may become part of a reality.  The idea is to practice so as to be able to control what may happen.  Fear can totally take you where you never want to go in the first place, and keep you from attaining what you need.  This scenario takes an individual with blood running into their eyes only.  It does not say the eyes are damaged.  Read directions carefully.  This is why this is a contest.  It requires understanding and following directions to the degree that it can be done, one way or another.  Survival is about adaptation and improvising.  I haven't seen anything yet and time is running. 

It mentions the need for the eyes later on and only bandages are used temporarily.  Think about why the eyes are burning.  I would really like to get more input from everyone.  Nuke, the idea is to protect your eyes.  It doesn't say you are going blind.  Do your best, okay?  I know fears are difficult to handle and sometimes down right impossible to handle, but they are a product of mind control.  Sometimes we can overcome to a degree by improvising somehow.

I am afraid for those not even capable of working this out on this post.  The efforts put forth now will only help you or another somewhere down the road.  We cannot just sit back and pretend in our minds.  It doesn't work. 

Here's reality in my neighborhood:
Roughly within the past week, a serious local mishap occurred.  Had it been about a mile down river from where it happened, a major nuclear event could have started and I probably would not be here writing about it.  It was fast hitting, unexpected, and they are still cleaning up the mess.  I cannot give details right now, as I am still waiting for USGS to get back from their investigation.  I can tell you it disrupted a freight train railway system due to the incident.  But it goes to show how fast things can happen.  No one has to say whether they can or cannot participate in the contest, but the more effort put forth, the more everyone benefits.  This is about sharing and learning. 

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »
As you try to wipe the blood from your eyes you can see somewhat, but your eyes are really burning.

Eyes that are really burning need to be flushed out immediately with as clean of water as you can muster.  However, I'm not objecting to the contest, I was just explaining why I wasn't going to take part in it.  I think it's a fine scenario but there are problems in it for ME. 

I did read the directions carefully.  I read the following as meaning that damage has already occurred:

donít loose what sight you have

Even a small amount of damage for my eyes...without glasses...I'm blind.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 10:18:48 PM »
The sight lost is due to the blood running in and stinging the eyes.  As you can possibly stop the bleeding from facial cuts, the bandages could come off.  Simple as that.  The eyes while closed will naturally cleanse themselves and later when the bandage is removed, the eyes should be as good as new.  I did not mention a time limit either on how long the bandage stayed on.  Up to the individual and the way they work this out.

I'm not saying anymore for now.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »
The April/May/June contest is over.

Prizes missed-
 Cody Lundins- When Hell Breaks loose
Gerber Profile Knife
Victronix SAK
Hot Spark.
Spork
50 ft Nylon cord
Cook Kit with alcohol stove
Some fatwood
Match case with compass
2 LED flashlights
2 different survival manuals
Emergency poncho
emergency blanket

doh.gif

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:09:54 AM by Tatonka »

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »
I am disappointed to say the least.  No entries, no winner, no prizes. 

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »
Tatonka, I am so sorry no one had the determination to try to conquer even a small portion of this contest.  This is my last one and I should have never returned.

Offline theking648

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Geeking out
    • SilverCG
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 10:22:43 PM »
take care LOST.  :wave:
www.SilverCG.com | www.Candition.com
like a night at the cottage, except I have no food, no friends, and no beer. ― Les Stroud
"keep the mountain in mountain biking" - Thomas Vanderham
"Friends do not let friends use IE6" - Amy Barzdukas

Offline Bravo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Mountains are for the soul
    • http://www.wildsurvive.com
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2008, 07:32:18 AM »
Wish I participated in this one, but I was like crazy busy lately.
C'mon don't get so upset over it LOST :)
"The past is history, the future a mystery and the present a gift - thats why its called the present" Kung Fu Panda