January 22, 2017, 04:20:31 PM

Author Topic: Cattail Fluff  (Read 1732 times)

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
Cattail Fluff
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »
How to use this as tinder? I've hear anything from its flash vaporzes, to intensley explodes, to smolders with a coal. Help?

Also, haw much would you need to lite other tinder, a.k.a., is the flame from a handful or so, good enought to light, say, bracken, or cedar bark?

Help on cattail fluff tinder, basically....

Dan
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
Re: Cattail Fluff
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »
Go out and try it :)

Really, I don't use it much, personally don't like it to much.  Though it can be used to make a quick flash of flames, so maybe be used to start jute??? Somthing like that.

Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
Cattail heads when soaked in alcohol and inverted to dry out completely make excellent torches.  The alcohol prevents them from busting open.  Once they are dried of all moisture, then you can soak them in a fatty oil and they will burn for a very long time.

Offline RobertRogers

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »
It tends to be too fluffy, but that can be gotten around by added petroleum jelly, for example
Always learning more about survival SurvivalTopics.com
FireSteel.com

Offline Weyfarere

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »
Cattail heads when soaked in alcohol and inverted to dry out completely make excellent torches.  The alcohol prevents them from busting open.  Once they are dried of all moisture, then you can soak them in a fatty oil and they will burn for a very long time.
Another alternative is to spray them with cheap hair spray. I learned this while preserving dried floral arrangements. :)

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »
cattail heads when fluffed take a spark real easy. but they burn out almost as fast. ive used them as coal extenders for friction fire but they shine best when uses with slightly harder to light with a spark natural tinder's. (such as dry grasses or some inner tree barks that don't break down as fine as cedar) I do the birds nest thing like you would do for a coal from a friction fire. but I fold it in half like a taco. lay it on its side so it forms a little cave. I place the fluff inside the cave and hit it with the spark. the short flash from the fluff lights the material above it with its flame. just a tip from my own personal experience playing with the stuff. it works the same for all the other fluffy seed heads you come acrost like milkweed, goldenrod heads and thistle down.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need