March 24, 2017, 04:54:11 PM

Author Topic: The little things "TLT" tips  (Read 2740 times)

cloaker

The little things "TLT" tips
« on: September 24, 2006, 06:19:10 PM »
Sometimes the smallest tips can make such a difference, regardless of being lost in the bush or not. These tips wouldn't generally save your life but would make it better. I'll start it out with a few:

Soap, it's not always available and after some extended period of time, its so nice to have. You can make soap from animal fat, wood ash and salt, but its a lenghty process. In the wild, there are plants that can be used for soap. The best, and it is in every state is called, SOAPWORT. The scientific name is Saponaria officinalis L. and a reference can be found here: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SAOF4.

SOAPWORT: This is the best of soap plants and is prized for cleaning delicate fabrics. Crush it in warm water or boil for liquid soap.

cloaker

Re: The little things "TLT" tips
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 06:25:59 PM »
Another soap is horse chestnut. Not as good as soapwort, midly antiseptic. Crush the leaves in warm water.
A reference can be found here: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=AEHI
Scientific name is Aesculus hippocastanum L.

Offline bowhunterbob

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 01:56:45 AM »
just a question about soapwort is this the same plant that is used to temporarily poison water to cause fish to float to the surface? i know soap root is used for this purpose. just wondering.   Well anyway just thought i would add a tip i am sure everyone has heard.  never step over a log step on it.(in case of snakes) Well just to let you know stepping on a log in wet or slick conditions can result in a nasty fall and possibly bust your a**  i still cant sit down after a week of being home from my latest trip. steped on  a log and hit a twig the size of a pencil and whoosh I landed on the very log i was stepping on man did it hurt still does. i guess the moral of this story is before you step on or over anything make absolutly sure your feet will land on something that will give you traction. busting your tail bone can seem pretty tame compared to the other injurys that can happen when you get complacent. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:49:18 AM by bowhunterbob »
( The Biggest Threat To Survival Is FEAR But This CAN Be Overcome With A Little Knowlege And Imagination )

cloaker

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »
Very good observation Bow, the morale of that story is don't drink the soap. It is to be used for cleaning, not ingesting. I will make it a point to include that type of information in the future. Thanks BOW!

Soapwort

Binomial name: Saponaria offcinalis L.

Soapwort is a common perennial plant from the carnation family (Caryophyllaceae). Other common names are Bouncing Bet and Sweet William.

The Latin name is derived from the toxic substance saponin, contained in the roots. It starts producing a lather when in contact with water. The epithet 'officinalis indicates its medicinal functions.

Soapwort is native from Europe to western Siberia. It grows on cool places at low or moderate elevations under hedgerows and alongside waysides. It is introduced in the USA.

The leafy, unbranched stems, often tinged with red, grow in patches, attaining a height of 70 cm. The broad, lanceolate, sessile leaves are opposite and between 4 and 12 cm long.

The sweetly scented, pink (or sometimes white) flowers are radially symmetrical. The five flat petals have each two small scales in the throat of the corolla. They are about 2.5 cm wide. They are arranged in dense, terminal clusters on the main stem and its branches. The long tubular calyx has five pointed red teeth.

They bloom from May to September in the northern hemisphere and October to March in the southern hemisphere.

Soapwort has various medicinal functions as an expectorant and laxative, but has to be used with care. Saponins are toxic when ingested. An overdose can cause nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting. But it acquired its common name through use for cleaning.

Offline bobimbob

• Master Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:16:06 AM »
While not being a soap, smudging with sage is a "deoderant" of sots, espeacialy after a sweat lodge.
Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru

Offline Lycan Ican

• Lookout
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »
Foot powder like gold bond.
Great for keeping your feet comfy after a night of paddling
ESSENTIAL for hiking if you are prone to chaffing

Offline reforger63

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »
For athlete's foot I've used Lysol brand spray for years. My 13 year old has been doing this for the last 3 years as well. I just wash and dry the affected area and spray it directly on, let dry then put on clean cotton socks. Cures it within 24 hours.