March 29, 2017, 09:47:23 PM

Author Topic: Gettin "Jacked In" to the GPS Matrix  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Askdamice

• Thrivivalist
  • Master Tracker
  • Good to be Back
    • Wildertools
Gettin "Jacked In" to the GPS Matrix
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »
Okay, guys n gals,
I'm giving in to this hocus-pocus-technology-melarchy and getting a GPS. I want one that is basic and waterproof. I don't need all the on screen map crap. but I would like it to be able to store locations and perhaps find these geocaching thingies.

With my limited knowledge of modern navigation electronics I have zero'd in on this little puppy..... whatchathink?

Garmin eTrex H

Rick
Rick Marchand
ABS Apprentice Smith
www.wildertools.com
rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
Re: Gettin "Jacked In" to the GPS Matrix
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:17 PM »
The Garmin Etrex series are excellent.  Easy to use.  It'll be a good one foer you Askdamice
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:48 PM »
Thats exactly the one I got Rick and If I got one its gotta be the best.  :hugegrin:  If mine says the latitude and longitude are where you are thats exactly where you are one step or two in either direction. I would trust my life to it and already have and it brought me back home.

The tracks program are priceless either on land or water.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Askdamice

• Thrivivalist
  • Master Tracker
  • Good to be Back
    • Wildertools
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »
Well, I went and purchased a Garmin Legend Cx (The discontinued predicessor to the Legend HCx) for $155, brand new!

Is there an online site to download free maps or do I now have to buy that crap too!

It knows where I live............ ooooooooooooh.

Rick Marchand
ABS Apprentice Smith
www.wildertools.com

Offline shrek

• Master Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
You wuss. Have you already given up on the way the trees and grass are bent. Pfffff. :uhuh:
You breath in when you are born,
you breath out when you die,
In between, is your life.

Offline Askdamice

• Thrivivalist
  • Master Tracker
  • Good to be Back
    • Wildertools
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »
How else am I gonna find all those burried snickers bars in 3ft of snow this Fall?
Rick Marchand
ABS Apprentice Smith
www.wildertools.com

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:04:12 PM »
~ I'm thinking about making my daughter use mine when she starts driving. She has dyslexia, and a horrible sense of direction. I honestly think she might need it to find her way back to the car if she parks at the Mall.

:nono:   I'd use this little guy ----->  happy097.gif   but I'm not joking. She can't find her way around at ALL.  I am scared for her.  8| 

Offline shrek

• Master Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »
Oh man, I guess I'd better start finding me woolys. I'm contemplating on buying this for the next trip,  http://www.mealkitsupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30. I kinda liked the ones Bow gave us last time out.

Taken, I sorta know what you mean. My mom can get lost in her own back yard. My father finally got here a gps for the van. happy097.gif

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »
Well, I went and purchased a Garmin Legend Cx (The discontinued predicessor to the Legend HCx) for $155, brand new!

Is there an online site to download free maps or do I now have to buy that crap too!

It knows where I live............ ooooooooooooh.

http://www.tigergps.com/sofdat.html
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Bushwacker

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
I like the garmin series of GPS. I have two garmins and one megellan. Although the megellan I have doesnt do a good job(I think it may have issues) they do seem to have good brands.

That GPS you have there Askdamice should do a good job for ya...

One of the things I like about a GPS(there are several) is that when your out hiking or you travel to a place deep in the woods for exploration, you can mark the spot for other to travel to and enjoy. I seem to cant be able to give good directions, so the GPS comes in pretty handy.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
A positive note about geocashing and familiarizing ourselves with the new GPS systems is the ability to navigate with information from different sources and learning how to use it to our advantage.

A wildsurvivor as all the members of the survival community will learn to take advantage of any tool in the arsenal. The Strouds and the Grylises and the Bows try to demonstrate the ability to survive without tools other than basic knowledge. Our community knows the pitfalls and seeks to prepare ourselves in all ways knowledge of the basics and the education of the tools available.

OK Im done now. I feel a lot better now.  :hugegrin:

Offline shrek

• Master Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 07:43:12 AM »
I'm not knocking the gps technology, just having a little fun at Ricks expense. I do believe, however, people should learn the basics and learn them well, before going straight to a gps. If you are depending solely on a gps unit and it quits on you, well you will be s.o.l. I know this is not the case with most members here, but a lot of people in todays society are depending to much on machines that do the thinking for them. Again, I'm not slamming gps units or the people who decide to use them. Just a little wise cracking and personal opinion. :peace:

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
Sure I knew that my friend. Thats why we learn all aspects of survival. Just as none of us would go into the wilderness unprepared knowing what we know. The ones getting lost or in trouble do so many things wrong its no wonder they get lost.

My point is the GPS systems help teach us navigation. Making us aware of our positions and direction. The geocashing hobby is a great tool in helping to learn just another aspect of survival. Noimsayin.  :P