March 29, 2017, 09:46:39 PM

Author Topic: A Beginner's Guide to Firearms For Survival, Hunting and Defense  (Read 25188 times)

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
Re: A Beginner's Guide to Firearms For Survival, Hunting and Defense
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »
It is going to be the same bill as before only to include semi auto shotguns and rifles in general.

And KB did you see the one for banning pocket knives ?

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
Yep, I saw that.  Lunacy knows no boundaries.   taunt12.gif wacky078.gif

I'm here to tell you, this time they will not settle for just AK's or AR's.  Ruger 10/22's, Browning Sweet 16's, Remington 1100's.  Folks, I'm telling you, join now, get loud now, call, write or email now.  Or, give up, now.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2009, 07:05:54 AM »
I don't know if anyone else watches Glen Beck (he goes after Dems and Reps equally--he's Libertarian), but yesterday he had Wayne LaPierre of the NRA on the show.  Feinstein and her bunch of anti's claim that the weaponry used in Mexican drug cartel violence comes from the U.S. (fully auto AK's are evidently available to the general public and no one told me....).  I've been saying the whole time that the weapons come from Central America (plenty of AK's and M16's leftover from various revolutions).  Anyway, if you want to see the interview between Beck and LaPierre follow the link:

http://glenbeck.com/

Look in the upper right hand of the screen for Featured Videos and look for "Taking Aim".
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »
I saw on cnn about how the U.S. was supplying guns for the Mexican drug cartel. What a bunch of crap.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2009, 08:12:18 AM »
Yep, they say the cartels even got some .50 cals from us.  Naw, they surely couldn't have got 'em from the Mexican army..... ::)

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »
what about everybody buying ammo there is a shortage. I heard on Coast to Coast. that people are stocking up ammo because they think it's going to be hard to get ammo in the future. I saw it at walmart alot of people were getting ammo there.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2009, 07:42:37 AM »
You're right, Kim.  From the day after the election there has been a run on every outlet that sells ammunition.  There have been several different schemes to place extremely high taxes on ammo, as well as what is known as "laser etching."  Another scheme involved requiring ammunition to have a "shelf life" so that it couldn't be stored very long.  Now that Attorney General Eric Holder has said that he would like to re-state the so-called "Assault Weapons" Ban, people are rushing to buy firearms and ammunition.  I myself have seen the empty shelves at Wal Mart and other stores, and just take a look at the big on-line retail outlets and you'll see that they're out of stock on most popular ammo.

If you'd like to see, go to:

Cheaper than Dirt:   www.cheaperthandirt.com

Natchez Shooters Supply:  www.natchezss.com

The Sportsmans Guide:  www.sportsmansguide.com

Look at the popular ammo like .45 ACP, .38 Special, 9mm, .357 Magnum, and .223 Remington or 7.62x39mm.  For the most part the ammo is out of stock unless there is a particularly expensive box that is so pricey even the desperate buyers are passing it up.

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2009, 07:53:45 AM »
I saw an interview on CNN with someone that the U.S. is still supplying guns to the Mexican drug dealers with no proof. Its a total fabrication.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »
I saw an interview on CNN with someone that the U.S. is still supplying guns to the Mexican drug dealers with no proof. Its a total fabrication.

That's the problem, Swede.  Will they allow someone else to go on-air to tell folks where those guns really come from?  Probably not.

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
After viewing an hour long program on National Geo Graphic about fire arm deaths in the U.S. and questioning their numbers I did a little research on the net. In fact gun related deaths of all types had FALLEN consistently since records have began. Every indicator for youth in home accidents,hunting accidents, suicide, homicide, and murder is DOWN.
http://www.nssf.org/PDF/IIR_V2N5.pdf

Point of fact driving your automobile is more dangerous.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
I missed that program, but even the FBI's Uniform Crime Report shows that firearms crimes are down.  What was the show like, Swede?

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »
Almost brick throwing at the TV Bob. Im not a fan of slanted or just plain lies about any thing.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
That's what I was afraid of.  Oh well, I shouldn't have expected better.

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
They actually claimed a person dies from a fire arm every hour of every day. Maybe they included Iraq, Afghanistan. Africa, Mexico, and Texas.
(I lied about Texas)    :woot:

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2009, 04:58:19 PM »
For anyone interested - NRA - Join the NRA - Bonus Offer
 Free Membership

http://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2009, 06:59:13 AM »
Ok, getting back on subject....

One more thing about revolvers before I move on to semi-autos.  I'm going to demonstrate the proper...and improper...ways of loading a revolver and semi-automatic pistol.  Swede and I reasoned that there are a lot of places with information about how to do exactly what I will be doing, but at least here we can show the proper and safe ways of doing these tasks.

Please, please, PLEASE read the manual that came with your firearm before you do anything else.  IF you do not have a manual, contact the manufacturer or check their website.  Any of them would rather send you a free manual than have you make a guess as to how to operate the firearm.  This is as simple as Natural Selection, folks.

I will prepare this article over the weekend since I need some new photos, and will hopefully have this ready to go on Sunday (I'm off tomorrow and should have time to get some good photos).  Again, any questions you have will be happily answered so don't be afraid to ask.

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2009, 09:41:23 AM »
Awright, here we go....

Whenever loading or unloading a firearm, assume it's already loaded and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.  Be VERY SURE that you are loading the correct ammunition.  Your firearm will have the chambering stamped on the barrel or receiver.  On a revolver you have to locate the cylinder latch (as shown in the earlier section on revolvers at http://www.wildsurvive.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=73&topic=3269.60 ).  I mentioned before that you need to control the cylinder when it swings out, the best way is shown here, with the middle, ring finger and thumb of the left hand holding the cylinder steady:

If there are empty casings in the cylinder, use the ejector rod to push them out--be vigorous!  You want the empties to fall free.  Again, go to the link above for a refresher on revolvers to see the ejector rod.   Now, if you are loading a single cartridge at a time it's pretty straight forward.  The bullet goes into the chamber first and you'll still see the headstamp (the brand and caliber) printed on the cartridge base...:

...and repeat until all the cylinder's chambers are full.: 

Now, close the cylinder.  Remember to keep the muzzle pointed down so that the cartridges don't fall back out of the the cylinder.  DO NOT snap the cylinder shut with a flick of the wrist as you may have seen in Hollywood!  This is hard on the gun's crane which attaches the cylinder to the revolver's frame.  Close the cylinder with your left thumb:

The revolver is now loaded and ready for use.  It takes some time to do this little operation, but practice will make it go more quickly.  Once you've figured this part out, it's time to move on to using speedloaders.  Speedloaders are designed to hold the cartridges to reload your revolver more quickly:

You can't just use any speedloader for your revolver, they are model-specific.  Although some can be used with multiple revolvers, you need to get the correct speedloader for your revolver.  I exclusively use HKS brand speedloaders.  I've never had any problems with their products and find them to be uber-reliable.  The manufacturer's website has a complete listing of models to fit most revolvers:

http://www.hksspeedloaders.com/SpeedloaderPage.html

The speedloader has little "teeth" that hold the cartridges in, and the silver knob turns counter-clockwise to deploy the teeth and hold in the cartridges (see arrows below):

When the cartridges are loaded into the speedloader, you'll notice that they have a lot of "play", or wiggle alot.  This is what you WANT, because it will actually make it easier to load the firearm since you don't have to hit the back of the cylinder with the rounds precisely lined up with the chambers:

Start the rounds into the cylinder, you don't have to push them all the way in.  Just far enough to guide them in, be sure to keep the muzzle pointed down somewhat so that the cartridges will drop into the cylinder. 

Once the cartridges are partially in, turn the knob clockwise to release them from the speedloader:

Then DROP THE SPEEDLOADER.  Practice dropping the speedloader.  You want to build "muscle memory" here, and in an emergency you don't want to be sliding the empty speedloader into your pocket instead of moving the revolver back into your right hand to fire.  Practice using the speedloader and you'll quickly become accustomed to it's use. 

Again, push the cylinder shut with your thumb, and your revolver is loaded and ready for use:

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
Good job Bob thanks. Some leave one and sometimes two shells out so the hammer isnt resting on a live round. What is your thinking on this?

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
Good job Bob thanks. Some leave one and sometimes two shells out so the hammer isnt resting on a live round. What is your thinking on this?

On modern double action revolvers it isn't necessary. The new Rugers and other brands have what is known as a "transfer bar" that moves up between the hammer and firing pin when the trigger is pulled.  Without the transfer bar in position, the hammer can't connect with the firing pin:

Smith & Wesson's revolvers have the "Hammer Block Safety".  The hammer block prevents the hammer from moving forward far enough for the firing pin to hit the cartridge.  In the first photo you see a cutaway of a S&W with the hammer in the uncocked position and the hammer block is highlighted in red.  When the hammer is down, the hammer block is in the up position, blocking the firing pin and hammer from moving forward:

In this second photo, the hammer is cocked and the hammer block has moved down out of the way of the hammer's forward movement unless pressure is removed from the trigger.  Then the hammer block would move up to prevent the firearm from discharging:

S&W used hammer-mounted firing pins until the last decade or so, and decided to start using frame-mounted firing pins.  They still use the same safety system, which means you can carry 6 (or depending upon the model, 7 or 8) rounds. 

When it comes to the older guns, like the Colt Peacemaker and it's clones, many of the new reproductions, the older model Ruger single-action revolvers, etc, the firing pin could easily contact the cartridge directly under the hammer.  It would be prudent to keep the chamber under the hammer empty, and indeed that was the practice in the Old West.  All of those "six shooters" were generally used as "five shooters" instead.  The old cap-and-ball revolvers were a bit easier, just don't place a cap on the nipple under the hammer (that's a whole new thread, folks).  Ruger offers a free conversion for the older model (pre-1973) single action revolvers, placing a transfer-bar safety in the older guns for free:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/36.pdf

Anyone unsure of their particular firearm should check with a qualified gunsmith.  If you have any doubts whatsoever, leave the chamber under the hammer and firing pin empty.

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »
Now, if things go well I'll try to get started on semi-automatics ASAP.  Then we'll go into rifles.

www.1039thebulldog.com