October 24, 2017, 02:47:51 AM

Author Topic: A Beginner's Guide to Firearms For Survival, Hunting and Defense  (Read 25855 times)

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
Re: A Beginner's Guide to Firearms For Survival, Hunting and Defense
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
Yes, I know I've fallen behind!  This weekend I'm going to work on some new material and photos.  I haven't taken the time to research the better material available for different types of rifle bullets (not catridges....bullets) that I wanted to cover.  Next I'll try to finish double action revolvers and begin on semi-automatic pistols.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »
I got three shots with my 243 at a running coyote today.   scared011.gif   I missed  :cry:    sad042.gif
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 01:36:25 AM »
That Coyote has a horseshoe up some where  :naughty:

Offline mtwolfsbane

• Tenderfoot
  • All gave some, Some gave all.
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »
As other threads are locked or have been removed, I thought a little good news was in order.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2009/02/15/legi/85st_090215_guns.txt

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline mtwolfsbane

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »
Latest update.
http://www.helenair.com/articles/2009/02/23/state/top/65st_090223_guns.txt

And you guys thought I was the only one....

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
These bills are pretty scary thats for sure but I dont see any of them passing. I hope.

Offline mtwolfsbane

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2009, 06:59:14 PM »
Freedom means taking responsibility for your own actions and is always scary. You stand alone with only your guts, your convictions, and your courage against the world.
Right now, this bill is looking to pass with veto proof majorities, and the support of most of the state.

As the man said, "Montana must lead the way".

"ALL THE GREAT THINGS ARE SIMPLE AND CAN BE EXPRESSED IN A SINGLE WORD:
FREEDOM, JUSTICE, HONOR, DUTY, MERCY, HOPE."
Winston Churchill

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »
Im with you Wolf I might have mis stated my position. The bills Im talking are the anti gun things they keep bringing up. More power to Montana. Its about time some one did some thing. Its getting silly. There trying to pass a law against carrying folding knives in Hawaii.   :nono:

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2009, 10:10:47 PM »
Yes all these bills against knives and guns are getting ridiculous to say the least  :thumbup:

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2009, 06:03:44 AM »
I've avoided saying anything about gun control (or knife control) here in the Beginner's Guide, but I will say this and then let it drop:

If you do not stand up and speak out to your elected represenatives you have no one to blame but yourself when you lose your rights.  There are an estimated 80 million gun owners in the US.  There is one reason why we still have our right to keep our firearms.  The NRA.  You can disagree if you wish, but no other group has put forward the effort and--yes--the cash to fight every scheme that is presented to erode away our rights.  Many complain that the NRA just won't compromise, and I say you're darn right.  Why compromise?  If you look at the "give an inch and they'll take a mile" rule you will see that this is exactly what those who would destroy our rights are doing.  Many complain that the NRA is always asking its members for money.  Also true.  The NRA Institute for Legislative Action, the Political Victory Fund, air time, tv time, educational programs, it all costs money.  People forget that the NRA has also fought hard for their hunting rights into the bargain.  All the members have to do is drop the letter requesting a donation in the garbage.  The way I see it, with just the 3.5 million or so of us that are members now, if we each just gave a dollar extra a year... :greed:  If just a quarter of the gun owners in the US joined the NRA...imagine a membership of 20 million.   8|  But I don't believe it will ever happen, those who don't want to join will let the rest of us fight for them with our energy and yes, our money.  After all, the anti's don't want their hunting guns, right?   :glare:  And if that day comes that the government tells them they have to turn in their duck gun or deer rifle they'll cry "Why didn't the NRA stop them?"   :cry:

Agree or disagree with me as you wish.  This is the last word I will say on the subject, period.  We get too riled up over politics and I do not want to debate.  There are other places and other times to debate this issue.  I feel that this thread is best left for information for newbies to firearms, and that is where I will be directing my energy.  Peace out.   :peace:
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline KentuckyWoodsman

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Keeping a low profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
I could not agree more KB! I know people think gun owners are  a bit radical, but the gun grabbers wont stop until they get all the guns, not just a few choice ones.   :ack:    I am finished also.    :thumbup:
It is not the strong, but the responsive that survive.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »
I think an open debate about our right to own guns is Ok considering the constant threats by outside interests groups and individuals in Congress considering how important gun ownership is to urban survival and survivalists like ourselves.

I think enough has been said here however and its up to each of us to support dissent against any more gun legislation. Especially now when over on million people are now unemployed.

Ive mentioned this before that todays population is totally unprepared for a depression and I can visualize massive problems when homelessness and starvation hits a couple of million Americans.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »
Well they talk about improving the economy. But yet want to ban pocket knives now and that will lead to the all around ban on knives in general. And to ban and take away firearms. Which will ultimately lead to people losing their jobs from these ridiculous actions. So instead of helping the economy they will be hurting it more.

Where does all this craziness stop. It don't and won't. wacky078.gif  Can only wonder what it will be next that you won't be able to own or carry in your pocket.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
That was some phony excuse about the Mexican crap wasnt it? First I want to know just what they call an assault weapon.   :curse:

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:28 PM »
Well semi auto shotguns will be included in the new ban. But yes The Mexicans  happy097.gif And banning these weapons will not deter crime or stop the criminals from obtaining them. Its like trying to ban pocket knives.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2009, 08:26:15 PM »
Like the Mexicans care if we ban simi autos they get their guns from Russia and their own police. Im really proud of the Democrats about now. Hopefully they wont get any where.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »
You know neither party is any good. Look at Jindal and his comments. I think they need to over haul all of the govt. They want to improve the economy but by banning things it takes away jobs also. Or bailing out the big 3 or banks again. They need to stop. Tell them sink or swim.

Its a shame that honest gun owners can't have the weapons they want to have for their use in the sport of shooting.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
Swede and I agreed that some discussion on gun control would be germane to a discussion on firearms for beginners and urban or rural survival.  So let's see if we can keep it as unpolitical (Dems vs Reps) as possible.

I think I'm going to switch parties to Libertarian.  I just emailed Pres. Obama through the official White House website (I was very polite  :angel: ) asking him to reconsider and to remember what happened to his party after Pres. Clinton signed his assault weapons bill and the Brady Bill.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease, folks.

To answer your question Swede, it depends upon the wording in the bill.  The original cosmetic changes gun makers used on their rifles (for instance, the Colt HBar AR15 had no flash suppressor or bayonet lug) didn't change them very much.  The anti's will more than likely use tighter definitions that could mean a simple Marlin model 60 would be an "assault weapon".  Again, it depends upon how the anti's word the bill (and make no mistake, the anti's will write it).  I would reckon that high-capacity magazines will also be included with this legislation.

www.1039thebulldog.com