February 21, 2017, 05:21:33 PM

Author Topic: The Versatile Brazil Nut; a natural improvised candle, and firecrafting material  (Read 9306 times)

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
Re: A natural improvised candle, and firecrafting material
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 09:33:20 PM »
Love the area, but school hours and the sun make it hard to get out!
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I'd love it up there in early autumn, but I'd want to be gone after playing the first decent snow

Not all who wander are lost

• Survivorman
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 09:37:48 PM »
Ya, the snow really gets to ya, we're supposed to get 4-5 inches tommorow :(

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
you gonna build another snow cave?

• Survivorman
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
you gonna build another snow cave?
Not enough snow yet, but when there is I might try to make a Quinzee or however its spelled later.  But yes, both of those are on my list for this winter,

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »
mist I thought your pictures were great and going to try the Brazil nut thing thanks.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
Well..., I bought some in-shell bulk mixed nuts. Brazil nuts burn right out of the shell and so do Pecans, and English Walnuts...though the Almonds didn't catch easily and went out quickly. Sorry no pics yet but it's the right time of year if you want to see for yourself pic up some in the produce dept of your local grocers. I think to do have to dry a bit as these have before being sold but this gives me hope for the acorns and hickory nuts...there are about 40 lbs of hickory nuts I need to pick up at my inlaws, lol, I'll try some of those after they cure out a bit.

Offline Doro22

• Survivalist
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »
Well...........I cant stand the thought of burning my Brazil Nuts..... 8| I like eating them too well.... :rofl: Hurry and try those acorns to see how they burn....then I will start using them in my fires...
Never regret anything that makes you happy, and have a wonderful journey.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Well....so far no luck with other nuts working this well but....

Last night I did a little experiment.

This is a store brand can of mixed nuts from a local grocery store...cheaper than the name brand but tastes about the same to me. It does list in it's ingredients; Peanut and/or Canola and/or Cottonseed Oil.

These are the materials I chose to experiment with. I bent two paper clips into little stands, and using the lifeboat matches I am evaluating I tried to light them. I knew that Brazil nuts will burn like candles so I wanted to see if they will light like candles. I will say here that if the intention is to use these as "candles" they should be placed on a more suitable surface for burning such as a saucer, plate, metal pie pan, or maybe even some aluminum foil. I have yet to see how they do when burned completely out except when starting fires with them.

The lifeboat matches I have lit so far from this bottle have all flared for at least ten seconds. However,as a note on these matches, while they will light and and flare very hot and very brightly even in a wind they will not ignite the the stem in a breeze but they will ignite the stem when out of the wind. I've yet to test their other claim on immersion.

The Brazil nuts will not light in this position with a match, perhaps with a lighter but it would use up a lot of fuel. They have to be turned on there side nearly upside down to light well.

and as this photo shows they need to get going good before being turned upright in order to burn continuously.

But if you let them get started good before turning them upright they will burn well and actually burn quite brightly with a larger flame than most candles albeit a somewhat orange flame.

I have yet to see just how long they will burn as they do put off a little smoke, and my wife finds the smell annoying lol. I'll burn some all the way down while she is gone :D

Offline Crystaldo

• Tenderfoot
You made a great job my friend. This is my first time to know this idea. It is the best alternative when the electricity is going down. 

Offline Bushguy

• Tenderfoot
  • The bush keeps me young...
    • The Life and Times of LarryBourgeois, the outdoorsy Canadian...
Had to bump this cool old revelation for any noobs that may have missed it way back then. :) I think this is a great thing to know. Thanks to the OP for sharing another slick way to get a fire going. Cheers dude!

bg
Just another bushguy...

Offline offtrail

• Tenderfoot
Pert near any oil will burn that includes nuts and seeds, the higher the oil content the better it will burn. I always carry a candle stub for hard to light wet and  frozen wood.
It's better to burn out then fade away

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
good to know
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau