Bigblue has suggested a two tiered contest with two winners. Basically we have discussed a primitive and a novice contest so we can include those who do not have access to places or gear or the ability to do out door cooking.
Smallgamehunter has volunteered to be one of the judges but I hope any judge will enter a demonstration as well.
For the primitive contest here Is Bigblues suggestion. Please feel free to add suggestions>
I'm still refining the details but, how 'bout something like this:
- Theme ingredient: Trout (just an idea... pick any ingredient that might commonly be carried into, found, or harvested in the wilderness). As well, every ingredient in this dish must also conform to the above guideline.
- Cooking method: If it is a hot dish you must use open fire or camping stove and this must be prepared outdoors. Cold dishes (salads, soups, etc.) are certainly welcome. All utensil es and cooking equipment must be of the type that can be carried into, found, or manufactured in the wilderness.
- Each dish can have a retail purchase cost of no more than US$20.00(spices not
included). Each recipe must feed 3-4 people.
- A limit of one hour is allowed for the preparation and cooking of the dish.
- Each dish can be awarded up to 20 points by each judge; consisting of:
*up to 5 points for taste,
*up to 5 points for ease of preparation,
*up to 5 points for plating (the appearance of their presentation),
*and up to 5 points for the applicability of the dish in a wilderness situation.
A detailed recipe must be included so judges can duplicate the dish and cooking
- All submissions must be posted by 5:00pm est, May 30th 2009.
- The dish that best exemplifies the theme ingredient, and receives the highest score will be judged the winner.
As we work out details those who wish to contribute prizes please PM me so I can compile the list of prizes.
The novice contestants will be able to present their dish with a recipe that can be placed in a container or zip lock bag for cooking on the trail. The entry will not have to be cooked over an open fire or in the woods. Maybe an out door grill if available.
This is for those who do not have the gear, place to prepare the dish, or the ability so every one has a chance to win.