April 29, 2017, 04:14:43 PM

Author Topic: 2009 Cooking Contest Entries  (Read 26467 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: 2009 Cooking Contest Entries
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
Hey where did it go?    :unsure:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »
ROCKY'S COOKING CONTEST ENTRY - PRIMITIVE CATEGORY
Post 1 of 3

Ok, me and the anklebiters took the weekend to do our cooking contest. We brought along a whole fryer chicken just in case, but our intent was to hunt something successfully in the field. Where we went has wild pigs that are allowed to be hunted year long, and it was spring turkey season, so we had quite a few options.

We got up to the campsite a little late on Saturday so we had to hurry and get our firewood secured.

Here we found a nice sized downed oak tree. Good  thing I had just sharpeded the blade.

I thought I'd put in a nice little "WildSurvive" plug...

Putting the workers to work!

Ok, so as we were gathering the wood and putting it in the back of the rhino, my older son saw a jack rabbit come out from under a thicket near by and run to an outcropping of rocks. So we went back to camp to get the .22 and dial in the new scope.

Sighting in the scope at 75 yards.....not quite dialed in yet.

ZEROED!!!!

So we went back to the place that we saw the rabbit, and quietly crept in......Then my son says "Dad 3 o'clock!" I could see ears but not the head so I aimed just a bit low....

Hey Swede! Recognize that knife on my hip?

DINNER!!!!!!!!

One Shot. One Kill.

Getting Mr. Wabbit ready for the cooking pot!

Ok, I have more pics coming.......I'll be back
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
Hey I aint never seed a jack wabbit. Look at them ears.   scared011.gif
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
Wow great stuff so far love it. :thumbsup:

I'll get mine up soon. :whistle:

yeah I am surprised he didn't hear you guys. gen165.gif
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:04 PM »
Good Hunting! So..is the fire going yet?

Not all who wander are lost

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
Hey where did it go?    :unsure:

I never saw it  :hmm: ...sure you're not just slipping a bit  wacky115.gif

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »
Rocky's Contest Entry = Part 2 of 3

I'm having WAY too much fun for this. I'm hearing gurgling sounds from the camera man!  :rofl:

Almost finished up! Hey Swede, that knife works like a charm! You did a good job sharpening it up.

All done!

Ok, we're going to wash up dinner and the plan is to stuff the inside with fresh rosemary, rub the outside with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, then I'm wrapping the entire thing with bacon. I'm going to put it into a thick foil and puncture the bottom. I'm going to put some water soacked applewood underneath and the smoke will penetrate the pan for a nice smoky flavor.

Final washing before prep.

Now, to start the fire I'm using a mag stick with some tinder...

Scrape, scrape, scrape......

And we have FIRE!!!!

Ok, It's getting late.......add 2 parts gasoline!  :woot:

And a little music while dinner is cooking....how about Malaguena...

Now to turn the pan a couple times for even cooking.....ALMOST DONE!

SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 09:57:43 PM »
Next rabbit grab the fur on the back with both hands and pull opposite directions pulling the fur from both ends at the same time. The trick here is to keep MOST of the fur off the skin. Its a trick that takes some practice.

It looks like a great effort Ted. Thank you very much.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
Swedo, I tried all which way....and I'm no stranger to skinnin little furry creatures, but this time o' the year, it was unavoidable. Spring warmed up so fast here the "down" was coming off like crazy! I had to change positions several times to opposite the wind as it was coming in my face, kinda like trying to avoid smoke in the fire! I might be coughing up a furball in the next couple days!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2009, 10:45:40 PM »
Oh yah I forgot about shedding this time of year.   :D  Not the first time for hair balls for you the way I hear it.   :hugegrin:

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »
 happy070.gif
 well im not going to be makeing a post ths time aroun  but i would like to say ever dish thus far looks great and im looking forward to seeing the end result  of bugs bunny. by the way good shot rh  :bandit: :evillook: :bandit:
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »
Rocky's Cooking Contest: Post 3 of 3:

Ok, I have to admit that I was so focused on bringing "primitive" stuff that I forgot to bring extra batteries for the camera! The next morning I actually drove to town to get more and clay pigeons to shoot with my boys, which I'll post up here in a bit. Plus, it had gotten really dark on us and I don't think pics would have come out very well anyhow.

Here's my summary:

The rabbit came out ok. Jackrabbit is not one of the best tasting rabbits as rabbit goes. Even with the bacon it was still a bit gamey, but not tough! It had a good smokey flavor, but I should have sliced the membrane in the thicker cuts (i.e. the thighs and breast) to let the bacon fat penetrate. The rosemary trick I've done with fresh trout. Just gut the trout and rub the inside with sea salt and tootpick it together with fresh rosemary cut right from the field. I had cut rosemary stems fresh from my yard before we went up and the gamey"ness" of the meat overpowered the rosemary (or vice versa). But the bacon really made the difference as it just drizzled over the meat, and sort of "fried" the meat as it was encased in tin foil. So more than the rabbit, the bacon was better cause it had the smoky flavor of the applewood. With the meal I had asparagus, which I snapped the bottoms off and fold into tin foil with the tops just hovering out of the vent of the tin foil. (think of it looking like a "geen onion" with a bulb at the bottom and the asparagus tips just about an inch out of the tin foil) In the tin foil along with the asparagus was 3 slices of bacon cut up into ribbons, and 2 garlic cloves. The starchy part of the meal was 6 medium red potatoes, diced up, and was wrapped in tin foil the same as the asparagus, but the potatoes were coated with olive oil, and 5 cloves of smashed and diced garlic, and the last 2 strips of bacon that were thinly cut.

Here's the cost:

2 bulbs of garlic: 1 buck
Spices: not sure, I have them in my RV
Rabbit: 500 rounds of .22 LR ammo for 12 bucks. You break down the price for 30 rounds to sight in the rifle and 1 round for the kill.
5 medium red potatoes: a dollar twenty seven.
1 bunch of asparagus: Free, it grows in my neighbors yard like crazy!
Bunch of rosemary: Free, I have lots of it.
1lb of thick cut pork bacon: free, the local fire marshal is one of my good friends, and is a butcher on the side.
Wood for fire: I'll break down and say 1 dollar for fuel.
Oh, and 1 can of campbells beef gravy....1 dollar and twenty seven cents.

This was really fun guys and gals. This was a good motivation to spend the weekend with my boys doing "survival" stuff.

So the critique on the rabbit:

It was a bit gamey, but it was so damn tender. I was SO proud of my boys for eating it ALL! Plus, they are big vegetable eaters. So far, the only ones they don't like are brussel sprouts and okra. (don't blame them) But, my rule is that they HAVE to have a "green" vegetable every night if they want dessert. No green vegetable, no dessert. (I say that cause they always want corn, but corn is a grain) They get to take turns picking vegetables.

Ok, so there's my entry. And I'm sorry I don't have pics of presentation. But I can paint a pic...(it wasn't very posh)

I quarted up the rabbit, thighs and front quarters, and breasted it. I picked the meat off the bone and served with the bacon and it was just potatoes and asparagus on the side. I heated up a can of beef gravy (campbells) in a pot of boiling water and served it over the rabbit and potatoes.

The point of my weekend had two agendas: 1: to have fun with this cooking contest. 2: experience the first "hunt" with my boys...AND eat it. I'm not a trophy hunter kind of guy, something my father taught me, if you kill it, you will eat it. And they (my boys) did. I was a very very very proud papa this weekend!!!!

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2009, 11:11:30 PM »
Oh yah I forgot about shedding this time of year.   :D  Not the first time for hair balls for you the way I hear it.   :hugegrin:

those were feathers, not fur :)

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »
wes that a ruger 10/22
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2009, 11:42:28 PM »
wes that a ruger 10/22

Yep, one of my favorite guns! And they (ruger) finally found a way to keep the action open!

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
awsome  heard there pritty nice and can find them at a good price brand new....big 5 sporting goods sells them for 150 on sale

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 12:09:13 AM »
awsome  heard there pritty nice and can find them at a good price brand new....big 5 sporting goods sells them for 150 on sale

Well, when you're in town HB, look me up, I have from 22's to the Barrett 94 fiddy cal. My favorite is skeet shooting.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »
the 50 makes a interesting rabbit gun from 2500 yards

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2009, 12:21:06 AM »
  hah ha ha  boom no more rabit

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2009, 01:48:29 AM »

I think the record for a shot with a fifty is held by the Canadians....a shot in Afghanistan with a McMillan .50 at at about 2657 yards I think...that's just over a mile and a half.