February 27, 2017, 09:06:44 PM

Author Topic: 2009 Cooking Contest Entries  (Read 25773 times)

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: 2009 Cooking Contest Entries
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 02:57:30 AM »
Sounds like you had a great weekend!!

Lol, sure you didn't burn it and are just making excuses  :rofl:

Not all who wander are lost

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »
Legendary sniper Gunnery Sgt. Carlos N. Hathcock II was the first person to ever use a .50 caliber weapon in a sniping role. Utilizing a .50 caliber Browning HMG with an 8-power telescope sight, he set the record for the farthest confirmed kill by a sniper during the Vietnam War, at 2,250 meters.

This feat of field craft by Sgt. Hathcock established the viability of using .50-caliber ammunition as usable and effective for sniper special operations. Sgt. Hathcock?s record was broken only recently in Afghanistan by a Canadian sniper team. The Canadian snipers scored a chest shot at 2,430 meters using a .50 caliber McMillian bolt-action rifle, with a 16 power Leupold telescope sight.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
Legendary sniper Gunnery Sgt. Carlos N. Hathcock II was the first person to ever use a .50 caliber weapon in a sniping role. Utilizing a .50 caliber Browning HMG with an 8-power telescope sight, he set the record for the farthest confirmed kill by a sniper during the Vietnam War, at 2,250 meters.

This feat of field craft by Sgt. Hathcock established the viability of using .50-caliber ammunition as usable and effective for sniper special operations. Sgt. Hathcock?s record was broken only recently in Afghanistan by a Canadian sniper team. The Canadian snipers scored a chest shot at 2,430 meters using a .50 caliber McMillian bolt-action rifle, with a 16 power Leupold telescope sight.

Hi Tatonka-
Wasn't he also known as "White Feather"?

Oh, and Misty, if I would have burned it, I would have definitely scrounged some batteries to get THAT pic! I'm no wussy and always up for exposing self humility! Besides, I brought a fryer chicken just in case THAT happened. You know men and bbq's!
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
Yes he was. That was his trademark. He was the best. His shot came off a ma deuce.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »
Uh cooking contest guys?   :unsure:  :nono: 

That wabbit looked a little old and maybe a buck so that didnt add much to the gamy flavor. The lack of pictures was a disappointment but the effort was appreciated. Ill give extra credit for the learning experience for the kids. You didnt accidentally kill any of those cows did ya? That would have been much better eatin by far.  :P   

I cut wabbits and squirrels into six pieces 4 legs back and ribs. Flour, brown, cover. Cook slow for a few hours. That would be out of the question over an open fire especially that late in the day. A bunny that size cooked with a stick stuck thru it would have been so tuff the dog wouldnt eat it. ( I did that with a squirrel once)  :D  The dog carried it out of the camp dropped it and came back.  :woot:

Thanks for the effort Rocky.   :thumbup:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »
Yep! I had to seriously watch my background since that land is "free grazed" by a big cattle company. That's why that grass looks like it was just mowed! But they were all down field from the shot I had to take, but luckily, there was a slightly raised area that served as a nice background in case I missed (but I never miss!)

Yes, lack of the finished product/s WAS dissappointing, albeit, it was very aesthetically pleasing, but still, it would have been nice to have the shots. Oh well, live an learn. As Trump would say..."You're Fired!"

I had a ball though with the effort though! My older one had to walk away when he saw the guts coming out but my younger one grabbed the camera and went to town, although I could hear "gurgling" sounds occasionally.

I gave them the camera with fresh batteries and 1 gig of memory and gave them carte blanche with picture taking, I should have made sure I had an extra set!

Like I said though, we had a lot of fun in the process.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »
thats great. I am glad you had fun with you kids. I too had fun with my roman noodles. when I was little my Mom used to make rabbit stew she said we liked it.. 
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2009, 12:33:39 AM »
thats great. I am glad you had fun with you kids. I too had fun with my roman noodles. when I was little my Mom used to make rabbit stew she said we liked it.. 

Thanks Kim. Tell us about you're "roman noodles"!

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
alright got the pictures of my Roman Noodles this is for the Novice section here we go :)
this is what I used to cook it with my pocket cooker

heres the noodles all boiled

added seasoning

here it is all done

to light the fire I used fire sticks about 2.00
roman noodles about .50
total 2.50
had a great time keeping my fingers crossed judges. :peace:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

blacksmith

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »
good job looks like dinner is good

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »
The fire and pocket cooker made this a great effort. Ive got an idea this will score pretty high with the judges.  ;)
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »
alright got the pictures of my Roman Noodles this is for the Novice section here we go :)
this is what I used to cook it with my pocket cooker

heres the noodles all boiled

added seasoning

here it is all done

to light the fire I used fire sticks about 2.00
roman noodles about .50
total 2.50
had a great time keeping my fingers crossed judges. :peace:

That's awesome Kim! My kids are drooling! Those are thier favorite noodles! That and cup-o-noodles! You can almost smell it! :)

Big thumbsup!

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2009, 07:26:13 AM »
Great job Kim!  Way to get out there and do it!

~SK
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2009, 07:45:29 AM »
Rocky, Kim, great jobs!!   :thumbsup:
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2009, 09:13:38 AM »
Nice job Kim. Those are great little pocket stoves. I have one....I love it.  I really gotta get my entry finished.  UGH!!!!
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »
thanks guys. :) it was fun and all was was new to me never done it before but it was great. :hugegrin:

Offline Bravo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Mountains are for the soul
    • http://www.wildsurvive.com
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »
What a great Sunday! 20 degrees Celsius - not a cloud on the sky, the spring has really settled in.

Let us begin with our famous family garlic secret recipe  :yes:
Take the garlic (the quantity varies greatly depending on how much you can take before your head explodes 8| how hot the garlic is, how much you like garlic etc) and smash it in tiny pieces, add salt, then begin to add a little bit of sunflower-oil and start mixing. Repeat until you add about 5 ounces of oil...   moose0024.gif

Add tomato juice (even better if you add the whole tomato, smashed - without the skin), dried basil (Ocimum basilicum), coconut and mix again.

Potatoes cut in half and wrapped in tin foil. Put them on the grill or under it - your choice :)

Added some turkey legs

Assault of the mushrooms :) - with wine inside them ;) while you're at it throw some wine on that turkey too

Three generations  :yes:

The end product - throw the garlic sauce on the mushrooms and enjoy!
Don't forget about the salad!

Thanks mistwalker for reminding me about this contest, we had a great time!

"The past is history, the future a mystery and the present a gift - thats why its called the present" Kung Fu Panda

Offline shrek

• Master Scout
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »
That looks mighty tastey, Bravo.  :thumbup:
You breath in when you are born,
you breath out when you die,
In between, is your life.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
Hey I recognize that car.   :thumbup:   Man that looked good. Ill be tasting garlic for days.  :P  Is that traditional Romanian food?    :D  Thats going to be tough to beat you guys better get busy.   :nop:

Great shirts.  :thumbsup:

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
That looks good. I think Mist will kick himself now for telling him  :hugegrin:

Good going Bravo.