March 30, 2017, 01:42:18 AM

Author Topic: Paracord bracelet?  (Read 23735 times)

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Re: Paracord bracelet?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 09:53:11 AM »
Those are fun to make and pretty easy after you get the pattern down.  I've made version to use as a lanyard on my carry knife too.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
I'll agree! They're pretty easy, just half hitches in alternating sequence. Good luck! PM me if you get into a bind!
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
I can do the bracelet part, but I have a hard time finishing them off neatly.  I tried tucking the ends inside the hitches but that didn't work well.  I tried tying them off in a knot but that makes a bulky mess, and I tried burning the ends and sticking them together but that didn't work either.   :(
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 06:14:09 PM »
I will pm you if I get all worked in knots about it :rofl: and thanks for the encouragments :arigato:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
Have KNOTS and KNOTS of fun! Even though this is KNOT funny.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
I'm a frayed knot, Rocky.  :grin:

Offline KentuckyWoodsman

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
  • Keeping a low profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 12:17:02 PM »
I have seen some paracord bracelets lately that have a small actual d-ring shackle as a buckle.  I have been searching e-bay for these shackle, but have only found a few that would work. most are just too big. I can see where these would be really handy in a survival situation.
It is not the strong, but the responsive that survive.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
On the lanyards I have made, I tied the last 3-4 crosses just a little more loosely, then used a small screwdrive and needle nosed pliers to work the ends back up under the crosses, one end on each side. This will tighten the knots as you work your way up. After working the ends up as far as you can (usually 3-4 strands), I clipped any extra off and melted it to keep if from fraying. This seems to hold up very well.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »
I'm a frayed knot, Rocky.  :grin:

LOL! Only sometimes baby. :)

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
On the lanyards I have made, I tied the last 3-4 crosses just a little more loosely, then used a small screwdrive and needle nosed pliers to work the ends back up under the crosses, one end on each side. This will tighten the knots as you work your way up. After working the ends up as far as you can (usually 3-4 strands), I clipped any extra off and melted it to keep if from fraying. This seems to hold up very well.

Those look wonderful!  I'm totally laughing at mine right now.  :grin:

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »
we guys are so funny happy061.gif
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:47 PM »
Here is the latest paracord bracelet I made last weekend.  The first was just a little small, but my oldest son liked it so I gave that one to him.  I used about 12 feet of cord in this one (I doubled up the middle strands, putting 4 in there to get more cord).  I use a small screwdriver to work the ends back up under the strands to secure it.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
thats great found a good website and it seems pretty easy to do

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »
Here are two different watch bands I've now made out of paracord, along with a paracord bracelet I made a while back.  Both watchbands contain 10-12 feet of paracord.

The one on the right, I did twice this weekend, since no sooner than I finished it, I managed to break the buckle, so I got to redo it.  This one is one continuous piece of cord and is woven from one side to the other. This pattern is a little more complex and takes longer to work the cord into the correct position as you work through it.

The center one is two pieces, on for each side of the band and uses a simple crossover and tie from each side.

The biggest challenge for both of these was getting them to the correct length.  I finally took my watch and old band, measured the total length and the length from the top to the watch.  I then used those measurements, along with a little extra for thickness to set the initial lenght.  Both were a little stiff when first completed, but softend up after wearing them a couple of days.

These are fun to make and I'm looking for different patterns to use and also for a pattern to make a belt.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
OFG, Nice work. You can use those patterns to make a belt if you want. Either one of those will work. Just get yourself a heavier buckle for the belt.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »
Thanks, Tatonka.  I was thinking either of those patterns would work, but was trying to figure out a way to make the belt adjustable.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
a belt a great idea.excellent work I still trying just scared that I can't do it I have to get over that

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:59 PM »
Kim...can I share something I learned about making these?  If you mess them up.....undo them and start over.  No need to worry.  If you saw me last night....you would get over your fear to make one.....I must have re-done this one for my daughter about 6 times.  Give it a try....the worst thing that will happen is you get more practice.
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »
oh thank you Machine. :grin: I'll get busy then

Offline outofdoors

• no roof no walls no problems
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »
ofg if you use the standard square knot one you can make it adjustable, i used to make belts out of industrial hemp and used the same knots i was using techniques out of a old macrame book my mom had, it requires alot of cord tho. i believe when i made my hemp ones i was made a belt that fit me and it was a 34 in belt and it took around 50 to 60 feet. and i just went to my local leather working store and bought brass belt buckles. they worked great and as i got older and drank more barley pop i could adjust it to fit.