December 15, 2017, 04:04:51 AM

Author Topic: Outdoors "survival books"  (Read 22986 times)

Offline bobimbob

• Master Scout
Outdoors "survival books"
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:09:11 PM »
One book that stands out in my mind as an excellent book is:
Camping & Wilderness Survival- The Ultimate Outdoors Book  by Paul Tawrell
It is a large book just full of allkinds of knowledge of the outdoors, subject are well covered with many examples, pictures, lists and methods with explanation that are easy to understand for most people even me. It is a book that you would want to read before going out on the trail..several times as the enclosed information is voluminous. Not a "pocket memory" but an excellent source book, was recomended to me by a friend and gratefully so.
Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru

Offline bobimbob

• Master Scout
Re: Outdoors "survival books"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »
The next book that I highly recomend is:
Safe and Sound-(How not to get lostin the Woods and How to Survive if you Do)
The author is Gordon Snow a retired RCMP officer (ground search and rescue coordinator)
This indeed is a pocket memory with room for personal notes amd extra lists and hints, it covers a proactive position before you go into the Wilds, and afterwards also. When I have students they each get one as part of their course, easy read, good info, if you follow you'll definately expand your chances and not expensive to boot. :thumbup: 
Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru

adrenjunky

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 06:07:27 PM »
My top three:

Boy Scout Handbook
Deep Survival
How To Stay Alive In The Woods

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:20:31 PM »
Bobimbob, I also enjoyed Paul Tawrell's book.  A very fine choice with nice illustrations.
Also:
The Outdoor Survival Handbook by Ray Mears
Tom Brown's Field Guide on Wilderness Survival
Karen Berger's Hiking and Backpacking
Harvey Manning's Backpacking - One Step at a Time
and of course the SAS Survival Handbook

Still waiting on "Bow's" book to be released.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:52:04 PM »
hey let me know when it comes out i want to buy bows book
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

• Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 01:44:31 PM »
ok here are the books i own
-The Worst Case Survival Handbook (Travel) By Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht (read the book and liked it)
-The pocket Survivla Guide By J. Wayne Fears (havnt read it but looks good)
-The Worst Case Survival Handbook (holidays) By. Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht  (good read with lots of info talks about how to unwrap and re wrap gifts and other cool stuff)
-The Worst Case Survival Handbook (student edition) By Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht   (read it and its a good read)
-Mountain,jungle,sea, and desert survivor's guide By Rory Storm ( Read them all they were my first survival books and i love them)
-The Art of Survival by. Cord Christian Troebst (Havn't read yet and is an older book but looks ok)
-The Book of Survival by Anthony Greenbank (Read and was a good book is another somewhat older book, lots of good info)
-US Army Survival Guide (Read parts, lots of good stuff)
-How to Survive Anything, anywhere By. Chris McNab (I got a misprint and i didnt nptice it o well, but what i do have in it is VERY good info)
-United States Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training (HUGE book like 650 pages FULL of info havn't read yet but lokks VERY good)
-The encyclopedia of Outdoor Survival By. Barry Davies (Havn't Read but looks GREAT lots of pics and lots of good info from what ive seen)
Also i have two more book that i keep in my pack that are good info filled

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 02:02:29 PM »
Lot's to read there Survivor Kid.  Thanks for sharing that impressive list.

• Survivorman
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
Yeah there is my summer reading material for whilke im camping out lol

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »
Its not a survival book but is very good one you get past his writing style is....

Primitive Living, Self-Sufficiency and Survival Skills by Thomas j Elpel

I do think his stuff is a little location specific but most of the skills are transferable. I would like to see how he would get on in English woodland which is quite different to his location.

Has anyone got any first hand experience of Thomas?
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 03:24:37 PM »
Another that has not been mentioned is...

Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger, an excellent book and almost a bible to some.

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

HazeyWolf

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »
Adi, I've not had any first hand learning experience with Mr. Thomas J. Elpel, but I've been interested in learning more about his program as well.  I'm impressed with the wide range of education and experience he presents; wilderness and primative skills, sustainable living and ecology - I'm impressed with their program's for young people.  Mr. Elpel has a number of wilderness survival videos (The Art of Nothing Wilderness Survival Video Series) which document his short excursions into wilderness living with his kids... Anyone had an opportunity to watch them?  http://www.hollowtop.com/pls.htm

His books 'Botany in a Day' and 'Shanlaya's Quest' have received many great reviews (I'm planning to gift my neice with 'Shanlaya's Quest' this holiday season...)

Offline Bigblue

• Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
Here are two that are also not necessarily "wilderness survival" or "bushcraft skills" books, but as Adi mentioned, the skills are directly transferrable.

1) The Forgotten Arts and Crafts - Skills from Bygone Days by John Seymour  ($25.00 US - a steal!!!)
This extrordinary 380 pg, hardcover book, written by "the father of self-sufficiency" covers EVERY traditional craft from blacksmith to bee-keeping, to wainwright to housewifery. There are over 1700 illustrations and photos which lend understanding to the many tools and techniques covered in this volume.

Extensive chapters on Woodland Skills, Crafts of the Field, and Woodshop Crafts cover topics that are directly applicable to wilderness living - Coppicing, Charcoal burning, Basketry, Peat Cutting, Coracle Making, Rope Making, Tanning and Curing, Net Making, Knife Making, Soap and Lye Making, and on and on and on......

No power tools are used... there were none during this time period (other than water and horse power). This book covers it all and I do mean ALL!

2) Ernest Thompson Seton's Big Book of Country Living by Ernest Thompson Seton ($19.95 US - also a steal)
E.T.S. is a renound naturalist writer, artist, and founding leader of the Boy Scouts of America. The 580 pages of this softcover volume cover many of the same topics as The Forgotten Arts and Crafts but, then goes wayyyyy beyond with games, plant and track identification, communication and sign language, essential knots, cooking wild edibles, and much, much more. A full 160 pages are devoted to plant id alone!!! Not only is this a helpful book, it is, at times, a very funny book filled with ancedotes and first-hand accounts of the author's life. I LOVE THIS BOOK! And, as authored by E.T.S., you can be assured that it covers topics usefull in the outdoors.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:21:16 AM by Bigblue »
I take people way out into the woods and then do things with them.

SHUT UP AND POST  :P

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 05:48:12 PM »
Now we're rolling!  Yeah man!

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 05:13:43 PM »
3 more books worth adding to your library

Dave469 kindly sent me a copy of The Pocket Outdoor Survival Guide by J.Wayne Fears this in my opinion is by far the best short term pocket survival manual out there. It covers everything you need to know and nothing else. Its is full of the right information and written in a way that is easy to understand and is a must for the bottom of your rucksack. Sorry Dave i won't be giving this up.

98.6 degrees The art of keeping your ass alive by Cody Lundin is well worth a read, again with a view of short term survival.

Survival Advantage, Survival Foods and Techniques for the North-West European Environment by Andrew Lane a very rear book that sometime sales for over 100 over here but should be a lot cheaper over there. It follows the same style a The SAS Survival Handbook by Lofty Wiseman but better.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:13:23 AM by Adi »

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 08:00:30 AM »
I am going to add a DVD to this section.

Prepared To Survive by Gretchen Cordy, it also has Doug Ritter, Buck Tilton and Rich Johnstone in it. It describes very basic skills but this is key because when the chips are down you only need the very basics. There is a lot of very good information on this 2 disk dvd.

It covers
Survival concepts - The will to survive, Survival stresses, Improvisation, Preparing for the outdoor and Survival Priorities.

In-depth topics - Shelter, Fire, Water and Signaling

Bonus Materials - Basic First Aid, Creating a survival Kit, Knots and Lashings, Choosing a Knife, Stores from Park rangers and some other bits not survival related.

Although this is very basic survival information a lot of good sound advice is given.

I have a couple of dvd from US survival schools, mostly presented by ex forces or hippy types and although there is useful information in the dvds they are normally environment pacific or even worse location pacific, (I am in no way knocking there skill or knowledge). Prepared To Survive is different that it only touches on the basic which are the key subjects one should know in any environment and ideal for someone starting out in learning the skills. This does not mean there is not a place for it in the more experienced dvd collection even if it is just as a reminder of the key skills.

You can get a copy direct from www.lifeviewoutdoors.com. I have no connections with the company other than receiving very helpful service re shipping the dvd to the UK. I purchased it when it first came out and at that time they didn't have clear facility's for foreign orders. When i ordered i received the DVD in two days, which was a great surprise.

Whilst i am on the subject of dvds/videos I would also highly recommend Lofty Wisemans SAS survival videos. They are very hard to get hold of now but if you can get your hands on them you will not be disappointed. There are two videos that make up the collection.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 08:11:19 AM »
I just bought these books from Amazon.

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
   1     The Pocket Outdoor Surviva...    $7.95      1    $7.95
   1     SAS Survival Handbook: How...   $12.57      1   $12.57
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 08:18:21 AM »
A good selection Swede, the SAS survival handbook is a little dated now and often copied. It was probably one of the best books when first published and is still a great reference, i am sure you will enjoy it.

I too have just ordered a couple of new books the first is Safe and Sound: How Not to Get Lost in the Woods and How to Survive If You Do

And the second The Field & Stream Wilderness Survival Handbook. I was not sure about this book and i could not find any information on it so i dont know what its like but it was being sold cheep so i thought what the hell. Does anyone have a copy? Whats it like?

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 06:24:30 AM »
I got a couple of free books at a local wildlife and fisheries office, both are full of great info it might be worthwild to check out w & f dept. the 2 books were,

harmfull plants and animals,

survival in the marsh

both had plenty of info on plants and animals,and very good info on survival

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
Recently at a booksale, I bought a book titled "Trees". It has amazing illustrations of every kind of leafed tree around. (When I say leafed, I mean no conniferruos, deciduous, or ornameental plants, just trees.)

I recommend it. (For me LOL)
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 07:37:18 AM »
I'd like to find a book like that about trees and plants,i did find a book last week called the ultimate knot book it has 200 knots and how to make pads and bracelets etc. and it was on clearance for 5 bucks!!!!!