January 23, 2017, 12:47:43 PM

Author Topic: Outdoors "survival books"  (Read 21873 times)

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
Re: Outdoors "survival books"
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 08:08:45 PM »
My youngest daughter gave me a book for christmas that i have been reading and thought i would pass it on, the title is Basic wilderness survival skills, Bradford Angier  wrote alot of the info in this book and it is edited by Lamar Underwood in 2001 , Bradford Angier pass away in the 90's.  This book has plenty of info from clothing to survival skills, hunting ,fishing,how to navigate a canoe,first aid, it also has wild game recepies, plant identification,and even how to build a log cabin. There is alot more info in this book than what's listed , it is well written and i'm enjoying it , just thought i'd pass it on.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
Thank you, tsegura!  The best books I've ever read were recommended to me from other people.  There are so many books out there and some are filled with erroneous information.  It can actually be dangerous relying on the information you get out of some of them! :scared:  So, I prefer reading "survival books" that have been recommended to me by someone I trust!
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
ONG!!!!!!!!!!! I love Basic Wilderness Survival Skills!! I JUST bought it two days ago LOVE IT!!!! Brad is dead, though.

I also love Camping and Wilderness Survival, like Adi said
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »
I got a couple of free books at a local wildlife and fisheries office, both are full of great info it might be worthwild to check out w & f dept. the 2 books were,

harmfull plants and animals,

survival in the marsh

both had plenty of info on plants and animals,and very good info on survival
Is the W. & F. a Canadian agency?

Not all who wander are lost

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »
Thank you, tsegura!  The best books I've ever read were recommended to me from other people.  There are so many books out there and some are filled with erroneous information.  It can actually be dangerous relying on the information you get out of some of them! :scared:  So, I prefer reading "survival books" that have been recommended to me by someone I trust!
Hey Holley check out this preview on basic wilderness survival skills they they are talking about. It has a good overview of the book......, I'm still reading it.

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »
Is the W. & F. a Canadian agency?

No i live in Louisiana, i don't know if any other states have books like that though

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 06:42:36 AM »
No i live in Louisiana, i don't know if any other states have books like that though

What part of Louisiana, tsegura?  I've tubed down the Bogue Falaya a time or two. :hugegrin:

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »
  I don't think Tn. has them available but will look on line to see. Louisiana has some awesome wilderness territory to explore, I love the southern part of the state but I don't know much about the northern part because I've always worked, or stayed along the gulf coast. What part of the state or which parish do you live in?

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
I was born and raised in new iberia , in iberia parish, but for the last 7 years i've lived in denham springs which is a few miles east of baton rouge

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
My parents gave me the following books for Christmas:

"The Complete Book of Outdoor Survival - Everything you need to know if your outdoor adventure takes an unexpected turn!" by J. Wayne Fears (How funny is THAT name? :rofl:)

"How to Stay Alive in the Woods - A complete guide to food, shelter, and self-preservation that makes starvation in the wilderness next to impossible" by Bradford Angier

Both of these are really excellent books. 

Oh, and because my dad knows I'm a total girl, in addition to the Gerber knife and survival books, he gave me a pair of beautiful hand-carved cameo earrings!  My dad is the greatest! :thumbsup:

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 12:37:59 AM »
My parents gave me the following books for Christmas:

"The Complete Book of Outdoor Survival - Everything you need to know if your outdoor adventure takes an unexpected turn!" by J. Wayne Fears (How funny is THAT name? :rofl:)

"How to Stay Alive in the Woods - A complete guide to food, shelter, and self-preservation that makes starvation in the wilderness next to impossible" by Bradford Angier

Both of these are really excellent books. 

Oh, and because my dad knows I'm a total girl, in addition to the Gerber knife and survival books, he gave me a pair of beautiful hand-carved cameo earrings!  My dad is the greatest! :thumbsup:
Cool Dad!

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »
You do know that Brad is dead, right. His wife Vena,though, is still active. Its very sad. Just reading his book, you could tell he was a great man.
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 10:04:15 PM »
I got a new book today called " bushcraft skills and how to survive in the wild" by Anthonio Akkermans, it's a how to book with step by step instructions and pictures on dozens of survival skills,making tools, traps ,etc. I haven't read it yet but it looked like alot of good info and the pictures will help alot because i don't know anyone who could teach or show me these skills in person so alot has been trial and error and reading as much as i can here !

P S we just had a books a million open near here thy have a whole section of books on survival, it'l be my favorite book store now !

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
I got a new book today called " bushcraft skills and how to survive in the wild" by Anthonio Akkermans, it's a how to book with step by step instructions and pictures on dozens of survival skills,making tools, traps ,etc. I haven't read it yet but it looked like alot of good info and the pictures will help alot because i don't know anyone who could teach or show me these skills in person so alot has been trial and error and reading as much as i can here !

P S we just had a books a million open near here thy have a whole section of books on survival, it'l be my favorite book store now !
I just checked out booksamillion's online site, they have that book for twelve something, let me know how you like it, I am going to go pick up a copy of basic wilderness survival skills for Sarah next week......, I may pick up a copy of that one as well.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 11:07:37 PM »
tsegura, I need to read more about traps and snares.  I tried really hard to learn how to make them by watching Les Stroud when he did his canyon episode but he went so fast, I couldn't quite get it.  Maybe if I get that book, I'll be able to figure it out.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 11:19:17 PM »
I picked up this one on wilderness first aid>

I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 01:16:05 AM »
So has anyone read Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski or Bush Craft by Richard Graves. Both books are filled with lots of useful info. Or you can get the SAS survival guide by Collins Gem. Which is pocket book size so it will fit in your kit.

Offline Horus

• Lookout
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 01:23:39 AM »
Another that has not been mentioned is...

Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger, an excellent book and almost a bible to some.
This title sounds familiar. I just showed Swede a 1946 edition. Horus
"Let food be your medicine" Hippocrates
"Master's of War" Bob Dylan
"Farming is Survival" DBS

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
Horus,
      That is the bible to some. It is one of the first books published on this subject. He is one of the founding grandfathers of this subject.

Offline Horus

• Lookout
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »
Horus,
      That is the bible to some. It is one of the first books published on this subject. He is one of the founding grandfathers of this subject.
I have had the book since I was a kid. Read it, I don't know how many times. Still like to look at it. Swede didn't seem to know what it was. Buy em books, buy em books, and all he wants to do is eat the teacher. :hugegrin: Horus
"Let food be your medicine" Hippocrates
"Master's of War" Bob Dylan
"Farming is Survival" DBS