December 15, 2017, 03:55:50 AM

Author Topic: Outdoors "survival books"  (Read 22984 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: Outdoors "survival books"
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »
I knew what it was. What was I supposed to do pin a red rose on your ass?
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Horus

• Lookout
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
I knew what it was. What was I supposed to do pin a red rose on your ass?
I love it when your romantic.
"Let food be your medicine" Hippocrates
"Master's of War" Bob Dylan
"Farming is Survival" DBS

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 10:49:17 AM »
I have the following books on hand,
Bushcraft- by Mors Kochanski
Bushcraft- by Richard Graves
SAS Survival Guide- by Wiseman (Pocket book)
Emergency Survival- by Christopher Van Tilburg, MD (pocket book)
Survival in the Outdoors-by Byron Dalrymple (outdoor life books)
Complete Book of Outdoor Lore-by Clyde Ormond ( outdoor life books)
ST31-91B US Army Special Forces Medical Handbook
Foxfire 3
US Army Survival Manual
Tom Brown's Field Guide's-  Wilderness Survival, Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants, Living With the Earth
Survive by Les Stroud
Back to Basics
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:02:28 AM by Tatonka »

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »
Good selection, Tatonka! :yes:
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline Horus

• Lookout
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2008, 06:21:49 PM »
I have the following books on hand,
Bushcraft- by Mors Kochanski
Bushcraft- by Richard Graves
SAS Survival Guide- by Collins Gem (Pocket book)
Emergency Survival- by Christopher Van Tilburg, MD (pocket book)
Complete Book of Outdoor Lore-by Clyde Ormond ( outdoor life books)
ST31-91B US Army Special Forces Medical Handbook
Foxfire 3
US Army Survival Manual
It sounds like you have the makings of a fine library.
 I have foxfire 1 thru 3
 Outdoor Lore
 A book telling you how to survive an atomic bomb from the sixties.
 It's called Hard Rain by Bob Dylan. LOL Horus

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »
I just added Tom Brown's books to my library. The 2 outdoor life books I brought when I was a kid. I had worked the summer so I joined the book club and picked them as my free ones.

Offline Horus

• Lookout
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2008, 04:58:42 AM »
I just added Tom Brown's books to my library. The 2 outdoor life books I brought when I was a kid. I had worked the summer so I joined the book club and picked them as my free ones.
Yeah,
 I probably have a doz. books from the Outdoor Life book club. Books were exspensive then and still are today but it is hard to beat a good read. I recently read Omnivore's Delimea and Fast Food Nation. I also read Acres, Countryside, and Mother Earth News magizines.. My favorite magizine is Acres with out a doubt. I'll have to look thru my collection and see what other survival books I have.
 I seem to have 2 copies of finding your way in the outdoors by robert l. mooers, jr. It's paperback, maybe I'll donate it to Swede. I'll be keeping the hardbound. Horus

Offline Horus

• Lookout
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2008, 05:06:45 AM »
I forgot to mention The Mystic Warriors Of the Plains by Thomas E. Mails. Not really a survival book unless you want to go Native or are Native. This book I like but have never really got any reviews about it. Tatonka, have you heard of this one? Horus

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
Horus,
     Haven't read that one. I haven't ever seen Acres around here either. I read Mother Earth News, Countryside, Backwoods Home, Backwoodsman, Backhome and Wilderness Way magazines. Countryside and Backwoods Home being my favorites. Wilderness Way would but you have to wait 3 months before another issue. It's bad enough waiting bi monthly for my others. I think they all should be published monthly.
Yes you could never pass up the deal buy a book get 4 free. Then I would buy a book and be done with it. Wait awhile and rejoin and get more free books.

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
I just checked out booksamillion's online site, they have that book for twelve something, let me know how you like it, I am going to go pick up a copy of basic wilderness survival skills for Sarah next week......, I may pick up a copy of that one as well.

I've been reading it this week and it's well worth the money

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »
Horus,
     I just read about a book that even predates Jaeger. The author is W Hamilton Gibson. The book is called Camp Life and the Tricks of Trapping. It was copyrighted in 1881. The book can be found in a republished copy now. It has lots of useful info on traps and camp life. Could be adapted for survival. It comes in hardcover or paperback.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 08:58:21 PM »
Just picked up Tom Brown's Field Guide -  City and Suburban Survival. Looks like a good book for the library. Quite abit of information in it.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2008, 11:56:06 PM »
Another book you may be interested in is Surviving A Disaster by Tony Nester. Not a long book but has some useful information in it.

The author Tony Nester has been teaching survival since 1989. And runs Ancient Pathways. He was the survival consultant for the movie Into The Wild by Sean Penn.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 02:36:18 AM »
Also added to the library Practical Outdoor Survival by Len McDougall.

Offline Woodsman

• Master Scout
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »
Horus,
     I just read about a book that even predates Jaeger. The author is W Hamilton Gibson. The book is called Camp Life and the Tricks of Trapping. It was copyrighted in 1881. The book can be found in a republished copy now. It has lots of useful info on traps and camp life. Could be adapted for survival. It comes in hardcover or paperback.

This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE........I think I have the whole thing memorized at this point.....
I really prefer the older versions of bushcraft and survival manuals though....If you really go through books such as the SAS Surival guide and a lot of the others you will actually see that in some instances the author not only had never actually used the skill, but you will also find that the skill in question is actually not practicall or feasable...One example of this would be the winter shelter that is made from the "Natural hollow" that is formed when the show drifts around a tree.........just doesnt happen the way they portray in the books........
I was goin through Bears new survival book with Les last week and it was the A typical version of something slapped together........as with many new "Guides" including those on the internet (Especially as it pertains to trapping) many "Methods" and the sketches depicting them are actual coppies of methods shown within Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping......and not just another rendition or version....but an actual copy. The book is so old that all rights to the sketches are null and void so therefore anyone is free to publish them in any maner they see fit. So in esence what you are seeing in these new guides is just old material re-printed with a new name.... this also goes for some of the traps within the SAS survival guide....exact copies of those in the Tricks of Trapping....

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »
I am looking for a copy of this book Woodsman. Just haven't found it yet. Probably have to order it. And you are correct about other books using material from older books or things that just aren't feasable in a survival situation.
I seen Bears new book in the store. Guess anyone can write one these days. I am waiting for Les's book to come out. And still am waiting for Bow to release his. As these will definately go into my library.
But I am a fan of bushcraft books. I have the book Bushcraft by Richard Graves And Bushcraft from Mors Kochanski

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 10:00:33 AM »
One of the best books Ive seen is the old boy scout manual. There is a lot of stuff I learned I still use today.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Woodsman

• Master Scout
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »
I will have to say that Les's looks to be one of the best that Ive seen.....should be done soon....but it will DEFF be worth the money....

The sad thing with Bear's is that Les and I went through and could name ALL the books that his pics came from.....it was so sad that it was funny...we deff had a good laugh....will deff be a big embarassment to him within the comunity

Offline Woodsman

• Master Scout
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »
Oh...and just google it and you should be able to print it right out.......I actually had my copy thrown away by immigration (BASTERDS, and Im not goin into that) so I just printed a new one off the net

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
The sad thing about Bear is hes laughing all the way to the bank.