April 25, 2017, 11:04:13 PM

Author Topic: Outdoors "survival books"  (Read 22266 times)

Offline Woodsman

• Master Scout
Re: Outdoors "survival books"
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 10:05:52 AM »
Id rather have my integrity thank you very much........

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
Yeah I don't blame you for not wanting to go into that again. I just wish I had let you know that before you got up there as I could have stored all those for you and brought them across later.

Yeah you have a guy who stays in hotels during his shows and goes and writes a book on survival. It should be titled  "How to survive at the Holiday Inn"

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »
Swede And Woods thanks for those links :thumbup:

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2008, 10:26:10 AM »
Thanks for the link, Woodsman.

Hey swede...I got a 1939 edition of the boy scout manual that I got from my grandfather on my mom's side.  I rebound it with a cover and it sits in my library.  I oughta scan some of the more interesting stuff and put up a few.
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

No matter where you go....there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2008, 10:30:28 AM »
One of the best books Ive seen is the old boy scout manual. There is a lot of stuff I learned I still use today.

I have quite a few old Boy Scout manuals. I have some that have been signed by Green Bar Bill also.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
Id rather have my integrity thank you very much........
Glad to hear that...., it's getting to be a rare thing in this world.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline nurkerool

• Survivalist
  • Tess' Husband
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2008, 11:09:51 AM »
I thought it was Bear Grylls who didn't know anything about survival...and then he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?
"The obsidian flake and the silicon chip are struck by the light of the same campfire that has passed from hand to hand since the human mind began." - George Dyson

No matter where you go....there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »
I thought it was Bear Grylls who didn't know anything about survival...and then he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?
happy097.gif that's a good one!

Not all who wander are lost

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »
I gonna order the SAS survival guide. excellent links guys, I love the cover of the camp life book,  looks like an old trapper. oh how do you download the book for free. :help: can't wait for Les's book to come out definly going into my survival library that I am starting. happy070.gif
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2008, 08:08:43 PM »
Since I'm a self pronounced "back to the basics" kind a guy, this was my first survival book. I figured it was probably the most essential since survival is mostly about trying to get things "in" and no one has addressed how to properly get them "out". Fun and intersting read!

http://www.kathleeninthewoods.com/sitwsynopsis.htm

Surprisingly so, the author is a "her"! I say "surprisingly" because it's usually "shop talk" at the man cave.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Woodsman

• Master Scout
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2008, 06:10:01 AM »
I gonna order the SAS survival guide. excellent links guys, I love the cover of the camp life book,  looks like an old trapper. oh how do you download the book for free. :help: can't wait for Les's book to come out definly going into my survival library that I am starting. happy070.gif

Just right click on the text and click print.......and the book was originally published in the 1800's

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »
ok thanks. I thought the man cave was just for men to hang out. 8| oh I saw that book rockhounder. it is good then.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2008, 02:56:09 AM »
Well the 2 newest books for my library are Cedar by Hilary Stewart and Indian Fishing by the same author.
Both books go into the history of the Northwest coast and the native americans who have lived there for centuries. Both books are informative on the crafts they used to make things out of cedar. Good books for the info that can be applied to mondern day bushcraft. If one wants to learn how to use cedar to make things or the info could be used to fashionthings out of other woods also.

blacksmith

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2008, 03:37:16 AM »
yes these are grate books I have them and the one on fishing has traps nets spears and racks in it oh and hooks  how to make fishing line for bark and kelp   

Offline RovingArcher

• Master Scout
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »
For desert environment, or any for that matter as it can be applied, I highly recommend 98.6F *The art of keeping your Azz alive* by, Cody Lundin.  The book touches on a lot of area, but is primarily concerned with regulating the bodies core temperature to avoid hypo/hyperthermia.

The old Boy Scouts manuals are excellent and packable.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »
ordered the SAS handbook, and how to stay alive in the woods. should get it this week. happy070.gif

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »
Sometimes you can find used ones at Amazon really cheap. I just bought two.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2008, 08:22:21 PM »
yea thats were Found them.they got a whole bunch of books on survival. used I always get used. :)