May 24, 2017, 08:44:18 AM

Author Topic: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel  (Read 21024 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
This looks like its going to be a pretty good show. Two guys try to survive in different scenarios.Looks like June 12.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/dual-survival/

Look on the page the link takes you to down near the bottom. Survival tools.Interesting.
http://dsc.discovery.com/survival/survival-tools/survival-knife.html

I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Re: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
This looks like its going to be a pretty good show. Two guys try to survive in different scenarios.Looks like June 12.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/dual-survival/

Look on the page the link takes you to down near the bottom. Survival tools.Interesting.
http://dsc.discovery.com/survival/survival-tools/survival-knife.html
Heil was telling me about this one.  Looks like a great show.  Thanks for the info, Swede.

"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

smallgamehunter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:39:29 AM »
i have watched most of dave canterburys vids on youtube and he knows his stuff

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
I see one guy runs around with no shoes. Whats up with that?
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

smallgamehunter

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
cody lundin is the hippie type hes the no shoes guy

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »
Cody Lundin has written some pretty good books.  He's different, that's for sure!  But I like his books.  They are easy to read and very down-to-earth.
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »
I've seen the ads on Discovery, looks interesting. 
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »
yea looks like a good show  :)
holly I should see about cody's books thanks :cool:
I thought it was on June 11th :whistle:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:24 AM »
This show starts tonight at 10:00 ET.  I have watched a few of the clips online.  I am a little worried they are gonna try to drama it up too much.  They have two different styles for sure.  Both know their stuff.....but they are friends and have known each other before the show.  The clips I saw make it seem like two strangers from different worlds were thrown together and have to survive.  The hippie vs the military man.  If they start too much of playing it for the camera or Discovery edits too much to look like that......it could really ruin the "survival" part of the show.  They both have 2 different survival ideas and ways......but you can learn from each.  I hope they show some of these guys skills and not just the drama.  We will see tonight!
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:30 AM »
Dual Survival
Shipwrecked

Cody and Dave must use items they salvage from their life raft to find shelter, build a fire and find food and water when they arrive on a deserted island off the coast of Nova Scotia in the dead of winter - showing what it takes to survive.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/dual-survival/bios/

I missed the first 15 minutes of the first show. I was disappointed it ended. This show will be my favorite while it lasts. No phony situations or political correctness just good survival advice and demonstrations.

I am kind of sorry Cody wants to go around bare foot and in shorts but he makes it work. I would have liked to hear their opinions on their fixed blade knives unless I missed it. You can see the tension between the two when they have different opinions on their individual techniques but compliment each other when it works.    

I have Cody Lundins book "When All Hell Breaks Loose".

Great show. I cant wait for the next one.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
this should be a rather interesting series

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
I thought it was pretty good learned some stuff like the cattail to keep fire going. good show Les is still my favorite though :)
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »
Not a bad show over all.  Not Survivorman.....but it was decent.  Anyone else watch it?
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
daves methods make alot more sense then that bush hippie  but everyone has a way they do things

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »
Not a bad show over all.  Not Survivorman.....but it was decent.  Anyone else watch it?

I recorded it and finally watched it late last night , not a bad show . I really like the shelter Cody Lundin built it seemed to work great for holding heat in . In all it wasn't bad I'll watch the other episodes !

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 05:11:03 AM »
One of the crappy things about living in aus is that we get shows way after the rest of the world, sometimes even years after it's already been shown in the states.
Now, as the ladder of life 'as been strung
You might think a sweep's on the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.

Everybody eats bacon, but nobody wants to stab the pig.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:43 AM »
I finally managed to watch the first episode I had on DVR, and I kinda like it.  I think I'd trust the hippie-dude's experience and techniques a little more than the other guy's, with the exception of going barefoot in the snow...
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 05:04:37 PM »
I have been waiting to see this. Ian from Bushmasters was invited to do the show but turned it down as it interfered with his course schedule.

I have just found it on youtube   
So just about to sit down and watch it now.

Cody makes a valued point, he is not comfortable in boots so he would feel unsafe. Socks also give good grip on snow and ice, it has been known for a very long time that putting socks over your boots in an emergency will get you off of ice where boots alone will not give you grip. I still would not choose to go mountaineering with feet only shod with socks but then my feet are so soft i cant walk on a pavement without being a fanny.   
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »
I do not see either of them being better than the other. They both have complementry skills that makes them work even better together than they would alone. Cody will settle for what Nature gives him, Dave will take what he wants from nature. Sometimes nature will not give you much and you will have to take it. Sometimes nature will not let you take what you want and have to settle for what nature gives you.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 06:02:26 PM »
A good program, i enjoyed it. They could have used the life raft as their shelter for the first night. On the whole a good program.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche