February 21, 2017, 05:22:40 PM

Author Topic: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel  (Read 20558 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »
Sure when Les Stroud started the Survivorman series he started a forum. Thats where a lot of our members came from when he shut his forum down we came here. Even though were just a small web site with a handful of members to date we have had over five million viewers.

Survivorman started millions of people thinking about survival and started forums and web sites all over the net.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2010, 10:24:23 AM »
taken i have found  things interesting around here from time to time

i also know from being married to a nurse for 8 years that nurses are a strange breed of people always thinking outside the box.

u do liven things up alot around here and i have found myself sayin huh? or Wtf several times to questions u raise     thanks for making it more fun

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »
Recently there was a story that someone rang S&R demanding a helicopter to pick them up because they were tired!   

I did NOT!  I only called the ranger station, not S&R, and I asked VERY politely if they could give me a ride back to my car!  :hugegrin:
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
Sir Sir Taken is picking on me again Sir! LOL

LOL I don't do wife Taken, if Ant don't play wife I leave him behind to fight for himself lol.

In SE Asian jungles there are two routes of travel, rivers and ridge lines. I am pleased they showed the guys making for the high ground to obstacle dodge and navigate. Fire was never going to be an issue and I was actually surprised they did not have a larger fire and boiled more water in bamboo.

Cody should have had the machete for the shelter building whilst Dave had the knife whist setting snares.

In both jungle programs the shelters have been a little lacking although i would have used them, i would have built something a little more substantial to withstand a tropical rainstorm. Although in both jungle locations it was the dry season so although there may have been a shower of rain they did not have to contend to full on deluges.

In both location cordage for shelter was not necessary as free standing shelters are easy to make out of both wood and bamboo. This would have saved both time and energy. 
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »
I did NOT!  I only called the ranger station, not S&R, and I asked VERY politely if they could give me a ride back to my car!  :hugegrin:

LOL really Holly. I was not thinking of you Holly but a case here in the UK
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

smallgamehunter

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
thats why im glad the S&R team im with doesnt do water rescue   

the local water rescue team gets alot of im out of gas can u tow me in calls

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2010, 12:14:50 PM »
I don't know the original source, but I remember reading about the two hikers called for a ride home in Bill Bryson's book A walk in the woods.
Well we’re gathered together, at the sunrise of never,
To bring witness to the good big sky

Yah jokers, ya con men, ya real estate salesmen  
To bring witness to the day we all die

Wahhhhh, wah, wah-wahh wah-wahh- waaaaaaaaaah

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
Swamps. I have no idea why they drug that dead motor around just for the fire starting. Lots of humor in this one. We had quite a few laughs. I think Cody getting pissed about the gator was a little much even though he had a point. I liked the way they changed from walking out to staying put waiting for a boat. Pretty funny when Cody said they werrent going to make a family and have some kids. LOL I cracked up watching Dave crawling in the mud and Cody says "were getting dirty"

Good demonstration of the fire bow. I noticed the Spanish moss in some of the trees and I would have thought they would say something about good fire starting material. Was that milk weed or thistle he used for the fire bow ember?

I missed the first man and woman show.  :mad:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
If i was barefoot surrounded by water moccasins I would be pissing myself. This is the first episode Cody didn't find a foragable, its good to see something different though. In this episode Dave shows and gives a lot more respect to Codi's abilities and lifestyle. I like the humility that Cody has. If he is not familiar with an environment, he has no problem admitting it. I believe it was thistle for the ember. None of the huntables could have been faked in this episode, it was all straight camera work, so that was nice to see. Im not saying that all the huntables before were fake, but if Les Stroud got as many kills as Dave per show, i think he would have had a few more seasons of Survivorman.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
For Les the seven days of near starvation plus him doing all the filming plus all the work of building shelters by him self was taking a toll on him and then it took a toll on his family. The last part was the last straw. Of all the survival shows he was the pioneer that brought on the rest.

Even though we had our differences especially the way I compromised his reputation unwittingly helping to manage his forum we finally had a conclusion and buried the hatchet. I still hold a lot of respect for his efforts and that was one thing we disagreed on. He insisted on setting up a camera and hiking over the horizon only to have to come back for the camera.  I told him to skip that as he was working hard enough but he told me he thought that made a better show.

Truthfully when he unexpectedly closed his first forum it took a chunk out of my life, a loss I cant explain, so any way thats why Im here.

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »
For Les the seven days of near starvation plus him doing all the filming plus all the work of building shelters by him self was taking a toll on him and then it took a toll on his family. The last part was the last straw. Of all the survival shows he was the pioneer that brought on the rest.

Even though we had our differences especially the way I compromised his reputation unwittingly helping to manage his forum we finally had a conclusion and buried the hatchet. I still hold a lot of respect for his efforts and that was one thing we disagreed on. He insisted on setting up a camera and hiking over the horizon only to have to come back for the camera.  I told him to skip that as he was working hard enough but he told me he thought that made a better show.

Truthfully when he unexpectedly closed his first forum it took a chunk out of my life, a loss I cant explain, so any way thats why Im here.

When I saw the last episode at Papa New Guinea, I really did get the sense that he was glad that it was over with. It seemed like he was coming to the end of a long journey that he was happy to finish.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
He was in the middle of a divorce. I knew that from inside info and when you knew that you could feel the pain. When he took those drugs on that beach I had a feeling he didnt care what happened. If you knew Les drugs of any kind were not his thing.

It was in the first Stroud forum most of us here met. We came here after he shut the forum down. It was there I came up with the "Campfire thread" and at the closing we had nearly 200,000 posts and many friends all over the world. Now you can find the campfire thread all over the net.

To date on this forum we have had 436,526 page views in the campfire thread and a total of visits 5,127,066 forum wide.

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2010, 04:01:32 AM »
Wow swede those are some amazing stats I would like to personaly thank you for making this sight possable. I have gone to some other forums but they are nothing in comparison to us the people on this sight are like a second family to me. I just watchen man woman wild the show was bowth helarious and educational at the same time I give his wife a lot of respect she did better than I expected. Tomarrow I plan to watch dual survivow. Thank you again swede 
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
man woman wild actually shows the skinning and gutting of a snake

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2010, 01:50:35 PM »
I said that those constrictors on Dual Survival seemed way too docile.Watching them handle a single constrictor in Man Woman Wild showed that. I guess discovery wanted Dave and Cody to get their snakes in like they wanted Bear Grylls to get those perfectly groomed wild horses in his show.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »
Man and woman. The snake was just laying there and all they could think of was watching her scream every time the thing moved. Why didnt they just chop off his head with the machete?

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2010, 08:33:40 AM »
As long as they do not lie about the things we are noticing and try to deny it and pretend they are doing something when they are not, I'm not gonna have a problem with what they do. I'll still enjoy both shows. I understand they have to make a show that the average person want to watch and can't just play to the survival gurus.

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
Have you noticed that all of these shows, except Survivorman, their biggest claim to expertise is the fact that they were in the military?  Personally, that's always been a red flag, for me, when I've led bush training. They always seem to have this over confidence that gets them into trouble, and every response is, "in the military they taught us how to...".

Personally, of the dozen or so that I've led in, only half have stayed the duration, and half again looked so disheveled that I thought I'd have to drag them out.

Now I'm not trying to disrespect the military, quite the opposite. Only, I don't think being in the military automatically qualifies a person for wilderness survival.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:36:41 PM by antagonizer »
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Have you noticed that all of these shows, except Survivorman, their biggest claim to expertise is the fact that they were in the military?  Personally, that's always been a red flag, for me, when I've led bush training. They always seem to have this over confidence that gets them into trouble, and every response is, "in the military they taught us how to...".

Personally, of the dozen or so that I've led in, only half have stayed the duration, and half again looked so disheveled that I thought I'd have to drag them out.

Now I'm not trying to disrespect the military, quite the opposite. Only, I don't think being in the military automatically qualifies a person for wilderness survival.

~ I whole heartedly agree...    I Live in a military town, and I get SO Tired of the "know-it-all" philosophy that a few of them have. I'm good friends with some men who grew up hunting these woods around here, and I'd trust their expertise a thousand times over somebody who had a crash course in survival (Usually in the dessert). That's my take on it. I am surrounded by G.I. average Joe's.  They have a lot of skills,  and a BIG Attitude that (From the way they talk) seems to come from shooting big weapons on a daily basis. There are a lot of people who have skills. The Hunters I know, seem to know the land WAY better than many of the soldiers around here. The soldiers are out there at 4:00am because they HAVE To be.  The  Hunters are out there at 4:00am because they want to be... 

and therein lies the difference.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »
both myke hawke and dave canterbury are army special forces trained 

I think the point of the military trained me to thing is that they have more knowledge in survival then the average person
Just my .02