March 29, 2017, 09:46:19 PM

Author Topic: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel  (Read 20831 times)

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
Re: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2010, 02:59:20 AM »
I don't know if anyone else saw codys post on facebook, he said discovery have issued a press release for season 2.
Now, as the ladder of life 'as been strung
You might think a sweep's on the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.

Everybody eats bacon, but nobody wants to stab the pig.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
yes there will be a season 2
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
****WARNING:  SPOILER ALERT if you have not watched it yet!!!****

I watched the two part "new" version of Dual Survival with Grady and Bill.

Grady (the ex-military guy) seems to be very level headed, down to earth and straight forward.  He gets things done without all of the bravado and theatrics that some of his predecessors seemed to need.

Not so sure about Bill (the primitive skills guy).  He seems like a whack. He cries when I can't make a fire, then cries when he does make a fire.  To me, his mannerisms and delivery (primarily when he is looking into the camera talking about something) just seems overblown.

A couple of glaring flaws I noticed with the production.  In the first part, after Bill fails making a fire with a bow drill, they decide to try using the battery from the cell phone. The whole time, they do not have a knife. But low and behold, when they are working over the battery to get it to start a fire, they appear to be stabbing it with....a knife!

In the second part, when Bill is trying again to start a fire with the fire bow, the audio is way off, obviously a sound effect. They show him making long strokes back and forth with the bow, but the audio is of short, fast strokes.  Not even close.

The entire pig hunt is a farce.  Hard for me to believe that they would be able to herd a "feral pig" like they did with maybe 20 feet of rope fence and then it would stand there as Bill moves around and finally throws the spear. I think they did everything but shackle the thing. In reality, a feral pig would have been long gone.  They didn't show how they prepared it to cook, just cut to a piece of it over the fire.  I guess Bill did this with the piece of obsidian he went nuts over finding (even though he mostly broke this up making the spear point) since they didn't have a knife...

Overall, it was disappointing.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:58:27 AM by oldfatguy »
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »
Grady does seem to be grounded and professional. Bill may have been a victim of the editing room. I'll give it a few more episodes. 
Well we’re gathered together, at the sunrise of never,
To bring witness to the good big sky

Yah jokers, ya con men, ya real estate salesmen  
To bring witness to the day we all die

Wahhhhh, wah, wah-wahh wah-wahh- waaaaaaaaaah

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »
I am with you guys I will give some more time I do like them
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau