March 30, 2017, 01:39:50 AM

Author Topic: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel  (Read 20832 times)

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
Re: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
Yeah...I am looking forward to seeing the next episodes. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 03:11:26 AM »
I missed the first episode because I'm at work when it comes on I'm going to try and record it this week but am looking forward to the show
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »
I saw it great show learned some stuff like you said not Survivorman but a good show :thumbup:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 12:49:03 AM »
I think they work really well together. They have very complimentry skills.  Kinda like a husband and wife combo, but its 2 guys and they are not gay.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
Ok, question for the more experiance people here.  Would his shelter have worked using a black peice of plastic instead of clear?  Reason I ask is I have some nice thick 4-5 mil plastic that I keep in my kit, and I'm wondering if it would work for that kind of shelter.

Thanks!
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
He was using the clear for radiant heat from the fire light. The black would work in full sunlight during the day but would loose its heat fast at night. His depended on the fire burning all night or at least most of the night. He used his emergency blanket to reflect the heat down on their beds. I guess it got to 70 in there when the fire was high.

His buddy changed his mind about the shelter when he crawled in. I liked the fact that each acknowledged to each other when they were proven wrong.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
So the black wouldn't absorb the fire heat?
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 12:18:36 AM »
The idea was radiant heat like sun shine through a window. The black will absorb sun shine but not retain heat because of its thin material. Cold air will transfer cold through it even though it will stop wind. The transparent material will also "convect" cold but it retains radiant heat if the fire keeps burning.

The black will be of more value if it can store heat while the sun is shining. If you could heat rocks all day from the heat from the sun then it would work. Either transparent or black will heat up in bright sun shine through the day but at night both will cool equally so the fire will produce the radiant heat like the sun would during the day. Both would act the same as a wind break so both would have equal value in that regard.

You could feel the heat from the fire with the black but it would not produce the same value as the transparent material.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 10:44:54 PM »
Another great show tonight in the mountains of New Zealand. Cody didnt have much if any training in mountaineering but managed it rather well. Both those guys arent small fellows. Cody found some good food as usual and managed to catch a big eel. Dave showed Cody how to repel.

Of all the survival shows to date this one is way above the rest.I still have a problem with Codys insistence to go barefooted. I find myself agreeing with all of the things Cody says.

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 03:20:14 AM »
Qwell I wached the show for the first time tonight. Good show but I wish it would go a little more into details of survival like less dose like might be the eppisode I watched
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline Bravo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Mountains are for the soul
    • http://www.wildsurvive.com
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 06:01:08 AM »
Really good show :) I love it
"The past is history, the future a mystery and the present a gift - thats why its called the present" Kung Fu Panda

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
BRAVO!!!  :woot:  We've missed you around here, buddy!! 
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
saw the second episode on youtube.It needed to be a 2 hour program. I felt like I was watching Bear Grylls again. Very rushed, fast moving pace. They needed to sit down relax and enjoy that eel properly.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 11:50:56 AM »
I concur Jemarque. Im afraid I see some phony situations rearing their heads. I suppose the producers are looking at Grylls ratings. I see no need for close ups of them eating grubs or watching them crashing down water falls.

I was impressed the way Cody handled the repelling and by him taking it a little slower he actually looked more capable. I thought the discussion for not cooking the eel was staged. I saw Cody carrying the eel on his back later as they were about to reach the end of their journey.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 07:52:23 PM »
I do not see either of them being better than the other. They both have complementry skills that makes them work even better together than they would alone. Cody will settle for what Nature gives him, Dave will take what he wants from nature. Sometimes nature will not give you much and you will have to take it. Sometimes nature will not let you take what you want and have to settle for what nature gives you.

well said
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
watched last night yea would have listened to dave and ate the eel and relaxed and reengerginzed and yea I wished they went into more detail like Les does but all and all good show  :thumbup:

smallgamehunter

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »
if u watch any of daves videos on youtube he goes into alot of detail  i think they dont go into detail because the way discovery setup the show

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
I finally got around to watching both episodes. I find it very interesting how the two different survival styles can complement each other so much, I guess it's like getting the best of both worlds. I tend to find myself drawn to codys style, the way he works with nature rather than seeing nature as the enemy like dave does. All in all not a bad show. A little less chit chat that's not survival related would be good but, that wouldn't get the ratings as swede said.
Now, as the ladder of life 'as been strung
You might think a sweep's on the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.

Everybody eats bacon, but nobody wants to stab the pig.

Offline KentuckyWoodsman

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
  • Keeping a low profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 08:49:32 AM »
I have still not got see this show, but sounds like for the most part everyone likes it.  Maybe they will show the reruns pretty soon during a time that I can watch.
It is not the strong, but the responsive that survive.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bravo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Mountains are for the soul
    • http://www.wildsurvive.com
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
BRAVO!!!  :woot:  We've missed you around here, buddy!!  

Thanks Kentucky Bob!!  happy070.gif

I agree with Jemarque1 and Swede, it does have a bit of Bear Grylls feel - and I hate that "feel"  wacky078.gif
Its also interesting that they wanted to lift each-others morale - and by trying to help your friend you forget about your own problems.
"The past is history, the future a mystery and the present a gift - thats why its called the present" Kung Fu Panda