March 29, 2017, 09:42:02 PM

Author Topic: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel  (Read 20830 times)

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
Re: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
I'm undecided as to whether or not I like this show. Codi and Dave are an interesting team up.
Well we’re gathered together, at the sunrise of never,
To bring witness to the good big sky

Yah jokers, ya con men, ya real estate salesmen  
To bring witness to the day we all die

Wahhhhh, wah, wah-wahh wah-wahh- waaaaaaaaaah

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »
Well i watched the second episode today and I'm sorta liking it but it seems kinda like man vs wild . They seem to be on the move constantly . I would rather them stay put and show some survival skills verses being on the move . I'm not against them moving but i would like it to be more informative than it being a edge of your seat type show . I'm sure these 2 guys could really throw out some very valuable info just given the chance . That's just my opinion !

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »
I agree I would like them to stay put for a couple of days  or so I like how dave and cody work and trust each other thats great
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
Well its the old ratings thing I guess. You have to get an audience in order to stay on TV and eating grubs is one way I suppose. To be in such a hurry you dont have time to stop and eat a good meal is nuts in a survival situation.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 11:09:03 PM »
Well you do have to give Cody the weather excuse in New Zealand, for wanting to keep on the move. New Zealand is is at at zone were warm and cold air meet and weather can turn nasty in hours and out of no where. Weather Channel will not do you any good there. Day could be warm and sunny and couple of hours later, complete white out.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Machine

• Moderator Admin
  • Survivalist
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:47 AM »
WAY TO RUSHED!  They didn't take time to show you any of their survival stuff.  It was too much hiking and rapeling.  I understand it's about the ratings....people want the action.....I want the skills more.  I will still watch.  But I wish they would slow down.
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline tsegura

• Master Tracker
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
Well you do have to give Cody the weather excuse in New Zealand, for wanting to keep on the move. New Zealand is is at at zone were warm and cold air meet and weather can turn nasty in hours and out of no where. Weather Channel will not do you any good there. Day could be warm and sunny and couple of hours later, complete white out.

All the more reason to stay put and build a shelter for that situation . I still like the show but i agree with Machine , i want to see the skills and learn from them !

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
I want to see the skills too
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

smallgamehunter

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »
watch any of daves vids on youtube u will see his selfshot vids are way more skill based then dual survival will ever be

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 08:21:38 PM »
yea thats true I guess its the network

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 08:05:43 AM »
I may keep watching it, but I don't know what more they can offer that Les hasn't covered if they keep going at it as they have so far.  By the way, that Cody looks like he could bend horseshoes in his bare hands!  That fella is built like a gorilla!
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 08:30:12 AM »
I sure noticed that myself Bob and he gets around pretty well for a big guy. His legs are like a draft horse. I get frustrated with some of the things the producers push them into but right now its the best thing on TV except for the midget wrestlers. Those little guys crack me up if you havent seen it.  happy097.gif
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

smallgamehunter

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:57 AM »
the half pint brawlers episode at the prison was an extreme laugh swede

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »
I'll watch tonight duel Survival that is I learn things

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
K I finally got a chance to see this show and here are my opinions;

1. I admire Cody for his no shoes, no pants imperative but let me say that no paleo human would EVER go without leg or foot protection come winter time. They're primitive not stupid. Yes, the science says their feet were better than ours but that's because they wore loose skins not hard soles, tight laces and sweaty socks.

2. I admire  Dave Canterbury's skill, but his attitude makes him a risk. He seems to wage war against nature instead of working with it, which he often makes reference to as "battling nature". For short term survival, ya he has a chance, but leave him in the wild for more than a month, and you'd be dragging out a carcass. He's only slowing his deterioration, not stopping it.  If you go to war with nature, you may win a few battles but she's going to win the war. Guys like Ray Mears have figured that out, and although I admire Les Stroud, (even own his book) I don't think he understands this. Way to Bear Grylls for my taste.
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline Gandar

• Bushmaster
    • Full Spectrum Survival
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2010, 08:48:59 PM »
2. I admire  Dave Canterbury's skill, but his attitude makes him a risk. He seems to wage war against nature instead of working with it, which he often makes reference to as "battling nature".

Ant, that's just part of the "show".  I watched the guy on youtube for a year before Discovery ever thought of him and he has some serious skill and care for the environment around him in a survival situation.

It sucks that they (TV) twist who either of these guys are to fit what they think, and I repeat "think", that the viewers want to see but they are both good at what they do.
Run when you have to, fight when you must and rest when you can.

I hope I'm never in a survival situation; I may just like it's simplicity and decide to stay there.

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
I see what you're saying Gandar. Like I said, I see some real creativity in the way he handles things. The problem for me was how he kept referring to it as "battling nature". Not just once either, but multiple times over the two episodes I saw.

I think, for my part, I understand it best because that's how I used to see my role in the wild.  I always treated it like a war and that Ma nature was trying to kill me, but then I had a bit of an epiphany. It was one day that I was on one of my month long walkabouts, and I was camped near a bunch of lilly looking plants that were on dry land. I pulled one out and saw the root was blood red and, as my wife and I discussed what it's name could be, I jokingly called it a bloodroot plant. So, I kept a sample and stored it in my pack. to look up when I got back. As we walked back I started to get a bad burn looking sore on my hand, so we stopped at the ranger shack for a patch up. We puzzled over where it came from and explained that the 'lilly' we'd found, with the blood colored root, was the only plant I'd come into direct contact with. The ranger asked me to describe it, and so I pulled out my sample.  With a bit of a chuckle he said, "yup, that's a bloodroot  burn alright." We all laughed at the fact I guessed it's name, but then I realized something deeper. This plant was more than a nuissance. That somehow I had found this amazing plant along the way, and added it to my repertoire of bushcraft. You see, we went back, gathered a few more roots and brought them home. For two weeks after, my wife applied it to a wart she had on her hand that 2 freezings, and one burning couldn't remove, and after the two weeks were done, it was gone.

What I'm getting at is that nature provides everything we need...literally. You just have to know where to look. The problem is when we go tromping through it, Bear Grylls style and miss out on the simple truth that every animal instinctively knows...that you can't war against nature. It's not out to get you. It doesn't care if you live or die, it only supplies the tools for you to make your own way, and if you choose to ignore them, then do it at your own peril.  Go in hating nature and she'll eventually squash you.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »
lets keep in mind that dave was a scout sniper so his training is all military so eveything to him is a battle and from watchin his videos when he says battling nature he ia correct he is fightin nature to stay alive

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »
lets keep in mind that dave was a scout sniper so his training is all military so eveything to him is a battle and from watchin his videos when he says battling nature he ia correct he is fightin nature to stay alive

Point is, nature doesn't care if he's alive or not. He's only fighting himself. Great for the short haul I suppose, if you don't plan on staying out there for a long time.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
The jungle episode emphasized what Bob and I noticed. There is NO way Im going to attempt to kick Codys ass. That guy is solid muscle.  :scared:

I noticed some thing tonight, Cody Lundin has been reading my mail. The stuff that comes out of his mouth is exactly how I see things. I cant help but smile but Im still not going out in the wilds with out pants and shoes.  :nono:

Another observation is Dave is a Hoodlum and Cody is a Wildsurvivor.   :D  I love this show.  :love:

See the Mora around Codys neck.  :thumbup: