October 22, 2017, 07:05:56 AM

Author Topic: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel  (Read 21651 times)

Offline Gandar

• Bushmaster
    • Full Spectrum Survival
Re: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »
Lol - I agree Ant.
Run when you have to, fight when you must and rest when you can.

I hope I'm never in a survival situation; I may just like it's simplicity and decide to stay there.

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
I think the jungle episode was better. Got to see a lot more skills used. They took things slower. Took couple of days to do it, when it seemed they could have finished it on the same day as they hit the beach as fast as they found civilization the next day. Maybe they are noticing that people do not want to see another Bear Grylls. Also i saw that cody is built like a damn horse. Not bad for a diet of creepy crawlies and foraging.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »
 :D  The guy looks like he could pinch your head off with his fingers.   :P
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

smallgamehunter

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »
cody is the hoodlum.

Watch any of daves selfshot videos on his youtube channel u will see him totally diffrent.

Cody is to much of a bush hippie

Offline Gandar

• Bushmaster
    • Full Spectrum Survival
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
Also i saw that cody is built like a damn horse. Not bad for a diet of creepy crawlies and foraging.

Lol - Fun to think of but not likely. That kind of muscle mass just does not grow without extreme artificial protien diets (even Lou Ferrigno - AKA the hulk TV, who openly admits to steriods - barely got that large). It just can't happen. He would have to eat 16 lbs of coconut larvae every morning  :box: :bicycle:

Me thinks that when the cameras turn off, he's guzzling muscle milk and creotene shakes.
Run when you have to, fight when you must and rest when you can.

I hope I'm never in a survival situation; I may just like it's simplicity and decide to stay there.

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2010, 08:28:59 AM »
I like watching how people with certain personal preferances side with one or the other. It's always fun observing people forme though.

And about the show, this episode I felt was much better, I reallyenjoyed the cooperation.
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
I am with you watcher I like them both and learn from both.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Well I watched the eppisode from this week and it seames to be getting better each weeka. I favor dave more as I have seen more of his skills in action but I try and learn from cody
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
I love how the first time Cody puts on shoes is in his home turf of the desert. The realism is becoming more convincing as it progresses. I don't think Cody planned to throw up. I'm still skeptical wether they spent the night in the jungle or not in the Belize episode. I would have fought harder for fire in that situation if i was going to spend the night out there.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »
I noticed Codys vomit was yellow green and looks a lot like gator aid. Im thinking he chugged down a bottle of gator aid to get hydrated.

The shoe thing is causing a problem and although Cody has elevated himself to my top ten list I still find the lack of shoes thing stupid. Finding the stream wasnt an accident Ill bet. Other then that its still the best show on TV.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Lara Croft

• Scout
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Yea I think it is a pretty good show too.
Very interesting to see how the 2 work things out together.  happy070.gif

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:32 PM »
yep in my top 5
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2010, 06:12:59 AM »
I noticed Codys vomit was yellow green and looks a lot like gator aid. Im thinking he chugged down a bottle of gator aid to get hydrated.

The shoe thing is causing a problem and although Cody has elevated himself to my top ten list I still find the lack of shoes thing stupid. Finding the stream wasnt an accident Ill bet. Other then that its still the best show on TV.

I had thought the same thing about that looking like Gatorade.  I'm not going to say I'm disappointed if he had some, after all that camera crew doesn't make the show the same thing as Survivorman.  But yeah, the whole "no shoes" thing has been a liability in every episode so far.  Still, in most other respects I like Cody's survival philosophy.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
You guys are tough.

Letís not forget the old adventurerís motto Ďyou got yourself in so you have to get yourself out. No one else is going to help youí. This was in the days before technology and search and rescue but it is a motto many adventurers stand by to this day. This is survival. If you are fit and healthy, you have the knowledge and you can make the judgment to carry on then there is nothing to stop you pushing on to attempt a self rescue.

It is only in this day and age where people are taking survival advice literally. They sit down and think it is someone elseís responsibility to come and get them. Recently there was a story that someone rang S&R demanding a helicopter to pick them up because they were tired!  

Survival is about having the knowledge to get yourself out of a situation using improvisation as well as knowing when to stop and dig in to wait for rescue. Unfortunately some of the comments I read on forums about TV programs really highlight the difference between the survival trained and the survival read.

All the survival shows that have been on TV have been excellent and can not really be knocked. But to watch two guys stay put and build a shelter, start fire, collect and clean water and try catching food would not make very good TV at all. You would be watching the same thing over and over again. It is easy to build a survival camp in any environment within 12 hours then survival starts to get very boring indeed. You would not see and skills being shown just normal camp routine.

In each of these programs it has been clear why they have kept moving. They are fit and healthy, they have the knowledge and judgment to make an educated decision to move and they are moving to the next important need in the survival process. Whether that is to water, away from harsh weather extremes or to more travelled area by the local population where there is a higher chance of being discovered; all very viable survival options.    

From interviews from Dave it is not clear that they were both friends before this program but he has said that their styles are so different, that it took the first couple of programs for them to really get a good working relationship going. He also said the first 3 programs he took more of a lead because Cody had not had a great deal of experience in those environments but in later programs Dave takes the lead from Cody a lot more.  This highlights how survival is about prior experience. Although the survival principles are the same, environment changes the approach to achieve each individual goal.

Both Cody and Dave have said they took local knowledge before each program and that they really wanted to show local skills and knowledge in each environment and not just follow the same old same old skills. This meant that they were both learning new skills for each location. This is how survival training should be; a collection of skills picked up from as wide an area as possible.

Dave has said he regrets his comment that he fights Mother Nature because he left himself open for the comment to be taken out of context. The fact is when the dodo is smeared on the rock; survival is a fight against Mother Nature. She is constantly trying to return you to the earth to break you down into nurturance for all of her other creatures and plants. She will try to rob you of your core body temperature, put terrain in your path to sap you of your energy and find ways to make you make mistakes. That is the fight we must have with her when we are in a situation. His comment did not mean he runs around just bludgeoning his way.

I am not sure why people are questioning whether they spent the night in the jungle. I am assuming they mean the night in the jungle shelter? What gave the impression they did not? Their shelter was a little complicated but it would have worked fine for keeping them dry. I would have happily used it.

I noticed Codyís green vomit too. Sometimes despite what ever situation you are in it is a good idea to force yourself to be sick to clear any poisons out before they have a chance to get into your system properly and cause more problems. I put the green vomit down to the cactus he was eating. Some cactus can be eaten fine in small quantities but can cause vomiting when eaten on a dehydrated stressed stomach. Knowing Cody he probably ate a form of cactus to help inducing vomit to clean his stomach out.              

On the whole a great program, very entertaining. I canít criticize it for anything, as with all the survival programs there is a positive message to be taken from it. Although if I see Dave start another fire with a light reflector I will go over there snatch it off him and proceed to jump up and down all over it.

My only real disappointment is only being able to watch it on YouTube.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:53 AM »
I agree completely with ya Adi.  I can't dis those two guys at all, I can't dis anything any of these experts do (including Les), because lets face it, if you were out there too you would be making mistakes as well.  Its really easy for us to sit back here and watch the show from our safe houses and critique them for every little "mistake".  If you were out there, it would be far different than just watching.

My .02...
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2010, 07:40:33 AM »
You might have a point about the green in the vomit but the amount of fluid on top of it was my suspicion. It looked like nearly a quart of fluid.

Dont get me wrong I had the same conversation with Les Stroud over the phone once. I told him to skip the" put the camera on a tri pod and walk over the horizon" on film and then have to walk all the way back to get the camera.  He insisted that he considered it better filming and better entertainment. I then talked about just make it easier on yourself and dont burn your self out and risk death for my sake.

The same holds true here. Please dont kill your self trying to be entertaining.

If the decision to keep moving to walk out rather then waiting for rescue was made then they should point out the difference. Things have changed in recent years with better SAR groups and technology to find and rescue folks so I would like to see that as part of the decision being made. Like you mentioned "The old adventures motto" may not be the best decision today.

I think what were trying to say is its starting to look suspiciously like Grylls running head long out of the wilderness just for the entertainment value.

Offline Machine

• Survivalist
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2010, 08:38:50 AM »
I think we all need to keep in mind.  It's a TV show....that although is a "survival" show...it is still TV.  The average person wants to be entertained.  They want the hippie vs the military guy.  They want the drama.  As Adi pointed out, if the show was two guys who got along....worked together and set up camp the show would fail with the general audience.  We as "survivalists" want to see the skills aspect, most people don't.  I can't tell you how many people have said to me they like Bear better than Les because, Les is boring....he does all that work stuff but Bear is crazy.  That is what un-understanding (not sure if that's a word) people want to see.....they want the excitement.  I would rather watch Les build 100 fires with a bow drill than watch Bear drink pee any day.....but most of the general public want the crazy stuff.

If you want to see what these guys are really like, check out THEIR videos.....and just enjoy Dual Survivor for what it is.  A TV show that has some "survival" stuff. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2010, 08:23:20 PM »
I think we all need to keep in mind.  It's a TV show....that although is a "survival" show...it is still TV.  The average person wants to be entertained.  They want the hippie vs the military guy.  They want the drama.  As Adi pointed out, if the show was two guys who got along....worked together and set up camp the show would fail with the general audience.  We as "survivalists" want to see the skills aspect, most people don't.  I can't tell you how many people have said to me they like Bear better than Les because, Les is boring....he does all that work stuff but Bear is crazy.  That is what un-understanding (not sure if that's a word) people want to see.....they want the excitement.  I would rather watch Les build 100 fires with a bow drill than watch Bear drink pee any day.....but most of the general public want the crazy stuff.

If you want to see what these guys are really like, check out THEIR videos.....and just enjoy Dual Survivor for what it is.  A TV show that has some "survival" stuff. 

yea I would rather see the skills thats why I watch I too would like to see les make 100 fires with a bow drill then see bear drink his own pee or squeeze water out of elephant dung :O

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2010, 08:50:41 PM »

I am not sure why people are questioning whether they spent the night in the jungle. I am assuming they mean the night in the jungle shelter? What gave the impression they did not? Their shelter was a little complicated but it would have worked fine for keeping them dry. I would have happily used it.

I question it because i notice the social/psychology of their manerisms in preparing for nightfall.  Second because they don't have too, after the camera work is done they can go sleep with the rest of the crew in nice shelters or hotels, like Bear Grylls. To be honest most people are trying to see how authentic it is. Not that being unauthentic is bad, just that if your really sleeping in a hotel, own up to it. Youll get more respect than you would trying to hide it and pretend that your doing something that your not. If they are staying all night in their shelters great, if not thats fine too. Just don't say that you are doing something when your not.With les stroud you knew he was really out there with no support or special treatment, so you really knew what he was all about. With bear grylls everyone knows he sipping a pinacolada between takes, even though he says hes not. Cody and Dave can sip pinacoladas between takes, just don't deny it when you do. If either of them made a utube video saying,"yea we really do not go hungry or thirsty while filming and we sleep in production tents at night, i would be totally fine with the show. If they really do go through it all with minimal support thats great too.  People just don't like being lied to, or having the world as they percieve it manipulated.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »
Jemarque I donít think you can come to those conclusions. We donít know where they filmed the jungle program too. I am sure it was not miles from civilisation but I am sure that the guys would not allow themselves to be criticized by making the same mistakes as Bear by staying in hotels and the like.

I do know one thing, in the heat and humidity of the jungle the production team would not have stayed in nice comfortable tents. The fact is a tent is not a comfortable option in the tropics. They would have more likely used hammocks with mosquito nets which again is not overly comfortable, they are still extremely hot. Jungle shelters are often the coolest and most comfortable options available to you.

The comments about fire are unfounded too to a certain degree. What do you need fire for? Boil water, they already had water. Scare off large animals, what large animals, most wild animals out there are scared stiff of humans. To keep insects away, clothing and plants repellents are just as effective as is a slight breeze. Morale, they were making a survival program, they knew they would be out in a couple of days and I am sure their big fat pay checks were morale enough.

As for they did not need to do it well I am sure their attitude is the same as mine, no you donít have to do it but it is good fun doing it so why in hell not do it.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche