November 21, 2017, 02:16:36 AM

Author Topic: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel  (Read 21808 times)

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
Re: Dual Survival on The Discovery Channel
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »
If the decision to keep moving to walk out rather then waiting for rescue was made then they should point out the difference. Things have changed in recent years with better SAR groups and technology to find and rescue folks so I would like to see that as part of the decision being made. Like you mentioned "The old adventures motto" may not be the best decision today.

Sorry Swede but I feel you have fallen into a way of thinking that seems to grip most people with little experience of the world outside our own country. The US, UK, New Zealand and Europe have some of the best, well trained, equipped and motivated S&R personnel. Whether professionals or volunteers. The fact is in many countries this is not the case.

There are many countries around the world were if you are in need for rescue it will come down to people giving up their time from the kindness of their hearts. The response can be really sporadic, Maybe from the military, ex pats, local farmers or even tribal people from the local tribal village. These people often have no S&R training and donít have the first clue how to perform a S&R mission. They may look for a couple of days then as time goes on the will start to drift off back home.

There are many parts of the world where if you set off a PLB you will get no response what so ever because the country does not have the resources to launch a S&R operation. The Army in Guyana have one helicopter and when we were out there it was mechanically grounded and had been for a couple of years because they could not afford the parts and the engineers expenses for travelling there and doing the repair.

Rescues on the ground is often the task of the host village of whos land you are on. If you did not make yourself know and used the village for some sort of business before your trip then they would not know where you may be and may not show that much inclination to drop everything to go out and look for you.

In some remote places on the planet, self help may be the only option open to you. If you are fit and healthy, have experience, have some basic knowledge and understand what is happening to you, movement maybe the only option open to you.     
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
Well then it would have been nice if they would have included that in their decision to stay put or walk out. In survival that decision would be utmost in the minds of the victims so I would have liked them to have at least a little discussion about that on film. In other words they might have had a conversation stating the unlikely possibility of rescue because of inadequacy of the government.

Recently the Discovery channel had an advertisement on TV about how some of the things they had on their shows has led to helping viewers out of situations so I would like to see more emphasis on information in their programing. Is all Im saying.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
Parts of northern Ontario and Quebec are vastly remote, and S&R efforts often don't hit that crucial survivability mark. More often than not, they simply get there to late and it's not for the lack of equipment, but rather it's the terrain that stops them short. You'd have more luck waiting for the apocalypse than a rescue party so getting out on your own is, more often than not, your only recourse. 

I have noticed some 'discrepancies' in the show that have made me question their honesty, but I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt rather than call them on it, simply because I respect their overall skill. However, skill should never replace credibility and if the general public ever catches on, then that'd be the end of them.                                                         
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »
I was just watching "Desert Breakdown" on Fancast, and you saw the same camera work with the rabbit as with the eel. Fast, jerky and can't see whats really going on. The rabbit looked like it was already dead in Cody's hands before Dave wacked it. That would be cleaver directing, as the camera is supposed be on dave for the rabbit grab ,but the action switches to Cody as the rabbit does something unexpected.

I like the MO this show has so far. They find one foragable and one huntable, Cody tries to convince Dave that a foragable is furry critter meat, and they ask eachother " how much you pay for...?" Also with two people on a survival show you can accomplish something that is difficult to pull off on one man survival shows...."Humor".

BTW you can watch previous episodes on discovery.com, or without commericals on Fancast.com
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »
Ive heard and noticed that wilderness survival is slowly starving to death. Finding enough food to survive is the problem even though there are claims that you can live for a month with out food. However you are going to be losing muscle mass quickly and you will be getting weaker daily.

So there is going to be some questions around their ability to get food but the attempt is good to demonstrate that it is possible. Les finally agreed to carry a small caliber rifle in one of his shows and it didn't help him but you will almost need a firearm to have a descent chance of survival.

I carry four firearms in my truck along with ammunition every where I go. It will be interesting to see what happens if I ever get stopped by police. All of the firearms are legal and in cases. 22 auto pistol, .22 automatic survival rifle, .22 magnum lever action with scope and a .243 pump with scope.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »
Ive heard and noticed that wilderness survival is slowly starving to death. Finding enough food to survive is the problem even though there are claims that you can live for a month with out food. However you are going to be losing muscle mass quickly and you will be getting weaker daily.

To be honest when was the last time anyone has watched real wilderness survival. In the series "Alone in the Wild" he saw plenty of moose deer and buffaloe on his expedition. But because of the laws he was not allowed to kill any of them and was limited to small game, which included rabbits squirrels, fish and porcupine. If he could have gotten big game he could have survived the entire season. Real wilderness survival comes when the rules are thrown out the window. Also we see wilderness survival as a solo art, when it shouldn't be. Dual Survival is great because you see how more efficient wilderness living is with more than just you. I personally think that three people is the magic number for wilderness survival. As for going a month without food, I went on a month drinking nothing but juice with a very active lifestyle. I got to under 160LB when i quit it. You can go without food for a month but you need to be doing next to nothing and drinking lots of water.
Let me tell you a story.I once knew person,a dashing, handsome young man,with a promising career,but one day,through no fault of his own,he found himself exiled and alone with nowhere to turn.But did he give up?No.He struck upon a brilliant plan.Instead of fleeing for the rest of his life,he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in the stronghold of one of his peoples most hated enemies.There,against the merciless logic of the universe itself,he thrived.And the moral of the story is,never underestimate my gift for survival.

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »
1000 years ago, it was possible to, not only survive, but thrive in the wild. Why? Because game and fish were 1000x more plentiful then than they are now. Many of the early european explorers often commented on how rivers seemed to writhe with the number of fish and wildfowl, and that you couldn't take a dozen steps without walking into an animal of some kind. Exaggeration aside, it's clearly nowhere near that now. Human encroachment into habitats, culling, and over hunting has made it so that existing like our ancestors did is nearly impossible.  When SHTF you'd best make sure you've got plenty of human made provisions available because counting on the wild will get you killed.

It's a dying world, boys and girls. Shows like these won't keep you alive. Rather they'll only stave off death for a very short time.
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
Me Im heading for the cow pasture.   :yes:

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2010, 12:24:21 AM »
~ I try to gain info. from all survival shows... This is the first night I've watched these two guys. They're entertaining, but after a while you come to appreciate how hard Les must have had it.... filming his OWN show, while acting in it as well. Nobody can touch that. (From what I've seen.)

On the upswing, I did learn a very valuable thing tonight from their show...   When you don't have a CLUE which way to go, just go Downhill...  because all water flows downhill.   :thumbup:

You have a much higher chance of surviving around water than wandering around, randomly in the woods/jungle. (True)

It's no accident that the biggest cities in our world sprung up around water....   When you find water, and follow it, you're more likely to find people, or a town, or a house, and eventually ... rescue. (That's a tip I'll always remember if I'm ever lost with NO clue of which way to go)...
I thought that was good info.  :yes:

(Cody's bare feet are really grating on my nerves though, If I have to see him step on another splintering piece of anything... I might have to complain.)  :glare:

I agree with the opinion that they are SO "on-the-move" that they don't have the opportunity to show-case the skills that they seem to honestly have between them. All in all, I like the guys....   (WAY better than Bear)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
Good show last night. I liked the cigarette water filters even though Cody said they didnt work but I guess Dave got by with drinking water all the way through it. I thought Cody got a bit anal about the float trip. Good demonstration with the bamboo fire starting. That sure looked like a domestic pig Dave caught but I dont know what they have for wild pigs in Laos. I think the natives have pigs in their villages.

I laughed when Cody complained about being the house maid. Again if I was running around in the jungle with no shoes and minimal clothes I would be eaten alive.

Now theres going to be a man/woman survival show. I know our traffic to our web site is up over 200% now and were in the top 10 in Google search.

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
Cig filter is ify, but if you have cold fast moving water, you have a high success rate of it being safe to drink. I liked the Hippy Homemaker remark also.

I like seeing the M.O. again, banna tree foragable that cody tries to convince dave that its slow moving elk and dave hates it as usual, and the huntable pig, and some humor.

As for Cody going barefoot, I give him props for doing  what he believes in, at the same time, at this point Codies barefeet is one of the big draws to the show from non-survival expert viewers. It doesn't show it in the episode but he does make some jungle "Jerusalem Cruisers"(Dave) for this jungle episode, as show in the clips on Discovery.com. 2x he made flip flops when necessary.

Offline Jemarque1

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
LOL, i was just looking at the clips for the man woman survival show, im waiting for Hawke to say "I'm Batman!"

smallgamehunter

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »
myke hawke has a tops knife he designed and alot of military experience.

he also trained andrew zimmerman for the bizzare foods survival special  so man woman wild should be an interesting show

cody wears his hair like a woman so why shouldnt he be the wife

• Survivorman
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2010, 06:59:40 PM »
myke hawke has a tops knife he designed and alot of military experience.

he also trained andrew zimmerman for the bizzare foods survival special  so man woman wild should be an interesting show

cody wears his hair like a woman so why shouldnt he be the wife

~ yeah, no doubt Cody's the wife in the duo.  :smoke:

I can't help but wonder... If say, Antagonizer, and (I dunno) maybe Adi had a survival show...  which one would be the wife?  8|  

Now THAT Would be a hard call. I wonder if the producers think about these things when they pick two guys to be a survival show duo?

:P :whistle:

smallgamehunter

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »
only u could think of something like that TAKEN

I think they put cody and dave together for the drama factor 

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
yea cody is the wife and the bamboo stuff someone on here showed us boiling and firestarting with it
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

• Survivorman
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2010, 10:18:53 PM »
only u could think of something like that TAKEN

I think they put cody and dave together for the drama factor 

~  LOL!  Yeah...   but be honest,SMG, you really had to THINK about it didn't ya? And nobody could come up with an answer.  I like asking questions that make people go  Huh??????    :scared:  WHAT did she just say?   :blink:

I mean, it's not like I asked "who would be the wife, Swede, or Rocky?"   :smoke:

or........ "Who would be the Husband, Holly or taken?"

cool14.gif

We're all one big family here....... I see nothing wrong in posing these questions to each other from time to time.....   :whistle: :hugegrin:

Plus... sometimes, when things are REALLY boring around here (like today)  ::)  I kinda/sorta just start a little fire to make you guys jump up and take notice.... 

It's how I roll.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2010, 11:38:41 PM »
If you want me to sit up and take notice send me another thong.    :hugegrin:

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Survivorman
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
.....Recently there was a story that someone rang S&R demanding a helicopter to pick them up because they were tired!  

I wonder how long it took for the laughter to subside....

Not all who wander are lost

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »

Now theres going to be a man/woman survival show. I know our traffic to our web site is up over 200% now and were in the top 10 in Google search.

:thumbsup: Interesting. Was there a change in traffic when man vs wild and survivorman started? and if so which created more traffic?
Now, as the ladder of life 'as been strung
You might think a sweep's on the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.

Everybody eats bacon, but nobody wants to stab the pig.