January 23, 2017, 12:46:22 PM

Author Topic: what five would you bring?  (Read 11139 times)

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: what five would you bring?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
And just to throw this in there....take a first aid kit and just don't call it one of the five items.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »
Swede brought up a good point. Being simply told "only five items"...and knowing what I already know...my five items might very well look like this (I chose the heat sheet because my poncho is gone in Lisa's car) if there was cellular signal in the area.

1) Knife

2) Canteen

3) Light

4) Phone

5) E-Blanket

But because some of these things have things that "nest" within them...such as the pouch on my knife sheath.

And I end up with Shelter capability in more than one form with things like the e-blanket, plus 28 feet of braided cord (to go with the 4 meters of para cord that lives on my wrist) to use to tie up natural materials if needed, and Both a water storage vessel and a cooking pot. I'd have multiple cutting edges, a compass, a ferro rod (which also holds other things), a light, and communications. Oh...and not shown is the new signal mirror in the sheath pouch also. Mike (pres. TOPS knives) gave me a few while I was at blade. They are highly polished plastic but have a protective film cover on them to keep them from getting scratched until you need them, pretty awesome I think.

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »
How are we defining one item? If I put all my gear in an 80 litre pack is that considered one item?
Now, as the ladder of life 'as been strung
You might think a sweep's on the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.

Everybody eats bacon, but nobody wants to stab the pig.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
I was just being a little sarcastic...I spent a few years with the only constants being a knife, my clothes, a lighter, and my wits. The only way I'm going out for an extended period of time now with only five items from that list is post-catastrophe and no other choice  ;)

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 07:13:11 PM »
I'm with you on that one. While I understand the attraction to people wanting to 'get out there' with as little gear as possible to try and test their survival abilities, I myself would never do it. Why not just take your normal hiking gear and then try and use only your five designated items? At least then you have backup supplies to prevent it from turning into a real survival situation.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »
I'm with you on that one. While I understand the attraction to people wanting to 'get out there' with as little gear as possible to try and test their survival abilities, I myself would never do it. Why not just take your normal hiking gear and then try and use only your five designated items? At least then you have backup supplies to prevent it from turning into a real survival situation.

Words of wisdom my friend.

I get enough of the minimalist thing when I am teaching it here s.e.wilderness.com But I also teach against an intentional minimalist approach other than training for an incident. As you said it's easy to test yourself...but still better to be prepared for contingencies that have a nasty habit of occurring.

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
Words of wisdom my friend.

I get enough of the minimalist thing when I am teaching it here s.e.wilderness.com But I also teach against an intentional minimalist approach other than training for an incident. As you said it's easy to test yourself...but still better to be prepared for contingencies that have a nasty habit of occurring.

If you've ever seen how full my backpack is, you'd think I was the most unlikely person to preach minimalism, however, more often than not, the backpack ends up stowed in my closet, while I bring my less bulky haversack.  I'm a minimalist simply out of laziness, and ironically it's served me well. Like a person who's never seen a TV, I don't even miss all of the extra junk, (which is exactly what it is...junk). Beyond the 5 items mentioned above, what else do you really need? I've stomped around the boreal my whole life, disappearing for a month at a time with little more than a knife, a steel, a bedroll, the fly off of my tent in case it rains, and the first 24 hours worth of food.

If you don't have it, trust me, you won't miss it.
If you want to come out my neck of the woods, I can show you a lake in northern Ontario so full of rainbow trout, you can catch and dry enough, in one day to last you 2 weeks,  the shoreline is peppered with wild raspberry, blueberries, and the surrounding forest is loaded with apple trees. It's a secret tho, so you'd have to come blindfolded. lol
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »

If you want to come out my neck of the woods, I can show you a lake in northern Ontario so full of rainbow trout, you can catch and dry enough, in one day to last you 2 weeks,  the shoreline is peppered with wild raspberry, blueberries, and the surrounding forest is loaded with apple trees. It's a secret tho, so you'd have to come blindfolded. lol

Be careful, I may actually take you up on that offer.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
.....Beyond the 5 items mentioned above, what else do you really need?

Beyond the five items I posted last  :) ? My first aid kit and my fishing/trapping kit.

What's bad is I know how things can go...will be prepared for it, have everything in the truck, and then sometimes get out to snap a few photos and then just wander off a few miles distractedly taking pictures leaving everything but a knife and ferro rod, even my water bottle, in the truck.

Be careful, I may actually take you up on that offer.

I was thinking the same thing lol.

Offline erics

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
I was just being a little sarcastic...I spent a few years with the only constants being a knife, my clothes, a lighter, and my wits.

The beauty about using my wits is it only counts as half an item :)

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
I bought Les's hat that has a led light right in it so I can just wear my hat
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
I've brought a few people up there (won't name the lake, sorry) and they've all been dumbfounded by how human friendly this place is. The shock really sets in when they realize that nature put all that there and that they're one of a handful of humans that have set foot on it's shoreline in the last 50 years. There's a hundred acre chunk of land for sale that I've been trying to secure funds for, but even if I can't, the Crown land goes on for thousands of square miles so I'll never run out of places to avoid humanity.

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 06:01:35 AM »
Beyond the 5 items mentioned above, what else do you really need?

Safety equipment, cell phone or 2 way, signaling devices such as mirror and whistle and a first aid kit. In your particular neck of the woods survival sounds like a walk in the park, down here it aint that easy. I often have to carry up to 2 gallons of water on me as there is just none of it around, not to mention a lack of anything edible. The point i'm trying to make is people who don't have the knowledge or skills shouldn't be testing themselves in the 'real world' with only minimal gear.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »
Safety equipment, cell phone or 2 way, signaling devices such as mirror and whistle and a first aid kit. In your particular neck of the woods survival sounds like a walk in the park, down here it aint that easy. I often have to carry up to 2 gallons of water on me as there is just none of it around, not to mention a lack of anything edible. The point i'm trying to make is people who don't have the knowledge or skills shouldn't be testing themselves in the 'real world' with only minimal gear.

I live in a temperate rain forest much like those of the South East of Australia but with more rain from what I understand so eating, and water are for the most part easy to take care of, and it seldom gets what could be considered truly cold here. There is likely a better chance of ill effects from heat during the warm months than cold weather injuries in the winter though is does get down to -12C with wind chills of -23C at times. The terrain can be trecherous in places, and though we do not have as many venomous snakes as you...one that we do have is very aggressive at certain times of the year. Another that usually isn't so aggressive when found in the open likes to hide under/in rotten logs and will often take moving said log as a threat and react accordingly.

But I agree, untrained people really shouldn't try it.

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »

No, the untrained should definitely go prepared.  Reminds me of that guy that was a big Les Stroud, armchair type fan who decided to take an outing and never came back. You just knew sooner or later someone would try and emulate Les and end up dead.

"Walk in the park?" Ya I guess it is.  No poisonous snakes, or spiders...bears, moose, coyote and wolf all avoid you and don't like loud noises, food is seasonal, but there's lots of it, and no people for a thousand miles. hell ya! I love the Boreal Forest!

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »
No, the untrained should definitely go prepared.  Reminds me of that guy that was a big Les Stroud, armchair type fan who decided to take an outing and never came back. You just knew sooner or later someone would try and emulate Les and end up dead.

"Walk in the park?" Ya I guess it is.  No poisonous snakes, or spiders...bears, moose, coyote and wolf all avoid you and don't like loud noises, food is seasonal, but there's lots of it, and no people for a thousand miles. hell ya! I love the Boreal Forest!

There are always the ones who think because they've seen it over and over again on television that they can do it....not thinking how television always makes everything look easy. Look at the home improvement shows.

Sounds like heaven on earth Ant.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
my 5 are

A good strong carbon knife
A fire steel
bag of cotton wool
Stainless steel 1 litter bottle
the 5th item would be area specific, ie a machete for the jungle, axe for the boral forest, desalination pump for the ocean, sleeping bag for alpine and high mountains or a big tarp for the desert   
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
my 5 are

A good strong carbon knife
A fire steel
bag of cotton wool
Stainless steel 1 litter bottle
the 5th item would be area specific, ie a machete for the jungle, axe for the boral forest, desalination pump for the ocean, sleeping bag for alpine and high mountains or a big tarp for the desert   

How do you deal with insects in the jungle? Are there things you can burn/ eat/ smear on you to help keep them at bay?

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »
There are always the ones who think because they've seen it over and over again on television that they can do it....not thinking how television always makes everything look easy. Look at the home improvement shows.

Sounds like heaven on earth Ant.

Mist, the thing that got me the most about day tripping through the Arkansas woods was the chiggers.  Before that, I'd never even heard of a chigger until I went down there and ended up with one buried in my leg.

Now mind you, winters up here are harsh. They last longer than down south, so you'd need to be adaptable to that. I suppose that's where the 'danger' factor is.

With that maybe I should change my list to include thermal undies. lol

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »
Mist, the thing that got me the most about day tripping through the Arkansas woods was the chiggers.  Before that, I'd never even heard of a chigger until I went down there and ended up with one buried in my leg.

Now mind you, winters up here are harsh. They last longer than down south, so you'd need to be adaptable to that. I suppose that's where the 'danger' factor is.

With that maybe I should change my list to include thermal undies. lol

Oh yeah..chiggers, tics, black widows, brown recluses...we have al kinds of creepy-crawlies to look out for down here.

You can bet if I ever do get to head up there the only way it will be in the winter is if I am running from something  :hugegrin: