May 24, 2017, 08:40:52 AM

Author Topic: what five would you bring?  (Read 11463 times)

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
Re: what five would you bring?
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »
When ever i have been in the jungle its been a case of bathing everyday, keeping clean, drowning yourself in Deet.

Other than that its a case of having a smoky fire and smudging your cloths daily over the fire. There are plants that can produce a reliable insecticide when rubbed on the skin but they are normally local to a region and require local knowledge to know which ones are effective.

One problem with plants that i have come across is that one tribe know of a use for it but if you go to an other tribe they may not have a use for that plant or may have a completely different use for it. So local knowledge is not always reliable. One example of this is the Bastard palm in Guyana which has no use at all other than making blow pipes. Where as in Belize I recall it being the Give and Take Palm and was used as a antihistamine and the inner bark is rubbed on bites and scratches.  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:06:56 PM by Adi »
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 06:22:04 AM »
I live in central queensland which is in the north east of australia, it rarely drops below 10C (50F) here, right now it's 9pm in the middle of winter and it's 19.4C (67F). The lands here vary greatly, just a little bit north we have dense rainforest with flowing freshwater lakes, to the west it's what I would describe as typical australian bush, dry grasses and scattered shrubs and trees, kangaroos here and there but not much else. Plenty of snakes and spiders around the place, i think 6 of the 10 most poisonous snakes are found here. No large dangerous animals though which is good, unless you get in the water.

I've never encountered chiggers, from what i hear they're not alot of fun. Anything like sand flies?
Now, as the ladder of life 'as been strung
You might think a sweep's on the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.

Everybody eats bacon, but nobody wants to stab the pig.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 07:10:14 AM »
Hi Mat

I lived in Rockhampton, Emu Park, Yeppoon and out near Wallaroo when I was a kid, that was my first experience of both rainforest and the bush, I fell in love with both but the rainforest left a lasting impression on me which has lead me to many of the rainforests around the world.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 07:45:54 AM »
Water
Knife
Tarp
paracord
mag/flint stick

Water is the most precious commodity, especially here in the South with temps over 95*F day after day.

I would bring my mini-machete because I could use it for multi-purposes, like chopping small branches for kindling and for shelter building, for food preparation, and for self-protection if needed.

I have a large tarp that can serve as an instant shelter, it can be used to drag firewood, and it can capture rainwater.

The paracord can be used to tie down my tarp, used as a snare, I can separate the strands for dental floss, :grin: and I can use it for fishing line.

The mag/flint stick can be used in any conditions, whether wet or windy, and it will work every time.  :yes:  
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
I live in central queensland which is in the north east of australia, it rarely drops below 10C (50F) here, right now it's 9pm in the middle of winter and it's 19.4C (67F)....

I've never encountered chiggers, from what i hear they're not alot of fun. Anything like sand flies?

If summer just started here a week ago...how are you already into the middle of your winter? What is your "official" first day of winter there? Our first day of summer is June 21st, I thought our summer and your winter coincided.

No chiggers are a different kind of pain in the @$$, they don't bite so much as they bury up in the skin and suck blood. They reeeeeaally itch and hurt!

Not all who wander are lost

Offline Freebirde

• Master Scout
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »
If summer just started here a week ago...how are you already into the middle of your winter? What is your "official" first day of winter there? Our first day of summer is June 21st, I thought our summer and your winter coincided.

When Matt wakes up and checks in he could tell you not only is he about half a day ahead of us time wise, being south of the equator his seasons are opposite of ours in the northern hemisphere. His summer solstice is our winter solstice and our spring equinox is his fall equinox.
You will never achieve true personal greatness unless you hold yourself to a higher standard than you hold others.

With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the old ones?

There is not enough time to make all the mistakes yourself, so learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »
I live in Washington State
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »
When Matt wakes up and checks in he could tell you not only is he about half a day ahead of us time wise, being south of the equator his seasons are opposite of ours in the northern hemisphere. His summer solstice is our winter solstice and our spring equinox is his fall equinox.

I know this, that's why I thought his winter and our summer coincided.

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 04:47:48 AM »
Hi Mat

I lived in Rockhampton, Emu Park, Yeppoon and out near Wallaroo when I was a kid, that was my first experience of both rainforest and the bush, I fell in love with both but the rainforest left a lasting impression on me which has lead me to many of the rainforests around the world.

Small world, I currently live in Rockhampton. I love the scenery around here, no place i'd rather be.

No chiggers are a different kind of pain in the @$$, they don't bite so much as they bury up in the skin and suck blood. They reeeeeaally itch and hurt!

June 1st is the start of winter here. I'm not sure how that works because I was thinking the same thing as you.

Offline Captain Casual

• Scout
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 06:08:28 AM »
You start your summer on the day of your summer solstice, but we don't start our winter on our winter solstice, instead we start it at the beginning of the month.

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »
You start your summer on the day of your summer solstice, but we don't start our winter on our winter solstice, instead we start it at the beginning of the month.

Interesting, thanks!

Offline MtnMan

• Scout
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »
survivorgirl said "me my mora knife - flint and mag - cordage - tarp - metal pot"
holly then said "Water - Knife - Tarp - paracord - mag/flint stick"

I agree with both and it echoes the "7-day" list mentioned elsewhere in that there are certain items I always have even for a simple day hike: 

SL3 knife (cheating a bit as it holds a firesteel and whistle, but that's why I bought the thing!)
Water bottle in its can/pouch, sort of like a GI canteen with cup/holder
Poncho for shelter, water collection, carrying stuff
30 ft of cordage (my favorite is still the 75 lb test braided catfish line - available in 100 foot rolls for about 7 dollars at whatever-mart)
Oversize bandanna (scarf, hat, skeeter-beater, dust mask, sediment filter, bandage, towel, sling, many other uses

I realize someone may cry "foul!" here on the multi-part items, but I could just as easily say that I am wearing the poncho and bandanna as part of my clothing.  A knife with a firesteel and whistle built into it isn't 3 items any more than a leatherman is 17 items, just has the ability to perform three functions.  My water bottle came with a pouch to carry it, I just added a can to its base so I could boil water if need be, or offer my puppy a drink on a hot day. 

Quite frankly, I think buying the SL3 was one of the few truly lucid moments in my life (in deference to klinsley I have to still say my Mora is my favorite cutting tool though)

Adding the can under the water bottle came straight out of Backwoods magazine and was someone else's idea that I recognized as brilliant.

If the bandanna doesn't count because I'm wearing it then I would prefer to pack these items in a neat little over the shoulder swiss military pouch I picked up  - total weight of the whole bundle is around 2.5 lbs with full water bottle and it's good enough for the basics.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation...but it is a characteristic of wisdom to not do desperate things"
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 01:55:55 AM »
oh thats sounds great
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline bushcraftmyway

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
my five and why: (yeah, i know... zombies?!? :D).

Offline simpleman

• Lookout
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »
I like the tea pot! I've never seen one that low profiled.

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
I like the tea pot! I've never seen one that low profiled.

Primus makes a nice little camp tea pot.

Well we’re gathered together, at the sunrise of never,
To bring witness to the good big sky

Yah jokers, ya con men, ya real estate salesmen  
To bring witness to the day we all die

Wahhhhh, wah, wah-wahh wah-wahh- waaaaaaaaaah

Offline simpleman

• Lookout
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks Muddy.

Offline bushcraftmyway

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
@ simpleman: i use a "primus" teapot (good eye, muddy pete! ;) ).

Offline sh4d0wm4573ri7

• Lookout
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2011, 12:26:38 AM »
SRK, WOOL BLANKET, TRAIL TARP, CANTEEN KIT, COMPASS

Offline Oni

• Lookout
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 12:15:44 AM »
Well, I live in NW Oregon... so rain is the biggest obstacle.
My five usually are:

Magnesium Flint Striker (Fire Starting)
Metal Coffee Can w/lid (Cooking, Boiling, Storing, Water Carrying, Trapping, Etc)
Belt Knife (General Use, Wood Splitting, Protection, Tool making, etc)
Emergency Blanket (Rain Proof Shelter, Rain Catch, Signal, etc)
Axe (Firewood, Shelter Building, Protection, etc)

And my sixth is my puppy, Raiden (Comfort, and Entertainment)
"The journey is what brings us happiness, not the destination."