October 24, 2017, 02:28:24 AM

Author Topic: Creating toxic waste  (Read 3763 times)

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Creating toxic waste
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
My garden has been doing well this year and the hot peppers have been doing exceptionally well.  I grow jalapenos, habaneroes, Cayenne and Thai Dragons.  

As these are hot, there is no way I can enjoy these all while they are fresh, so here is how I perserve them.

Here is a nice selection of the various peppers.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: Creating toxic waste
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:06:28 PM »
After washing them, I remove the stems and then split the habaneroes in half to allow them to fit in the dehydrator.

I usually don't dry the jalapenos as they have a tougher skin when dried.  I will slice and freeze these.

On the cutting board from top (thanks again for the knife, Swede):
Jalapenos on the right, Thai Dragons on the left.
Habaneros
Cayenne's

I have two different varieties of jalapenos this year - some shorter and fatter and another longer and thinner. Both have pretty much the same flavor.
(And yes, the rubber gloves are a great benefit if you like to keep the skin on your hand.  Flies dumb enough to land on these suffered greatly before dieing.)

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
Next, place them in the dehydrator, spreading them evenly to allow them to dry.  Piling too many on will slow the drying considerabily.  I use the highest heat seating of 185F on my dehydrator.

Check them every couple of hours, stirring them a little now and then.  Last picture shows them after about 8 hours. These look to be about half done.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
They drying time will vary due to the number of peppers, the humidity and pretty much any other factor, so keep checking them. Over drying the peppers is not really a problem.
First picture is what they look like when they are done. They are crispy and break apart.  Note the darker color.  Peppers like this will pretty much last forever.

If you decide to leave the stems on some, just put them in a closed container. The Thai Dragons are used in many hot Oriental dishes.  These are hot enough that they can be used over and over again.  Toss them in with stir fry and let them season the dish.  Remove then when done cooking, rinse them off and let they dry out again before storing for the next use.

After drying these, I put them in the food processor (note that this is OUTSIDE).  The first time I did this in the kitchen, we had to evacuate the kitchen for the next 3-4 hours until the dust settled.  

I prefer a bit courser grind, so I use the pulse switch on the food processor until they are broken down to what I like.  Be careful  when opening the lid, as the dust alone can kick your butt (does a wonderful job of loosening any clogged sinuses.)

Offline KentuckyWoodsman

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Keeping a low profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
Cool! I like the way you process them. That is some of the best seasoning around.
It is not the strong, but the responsive that survive.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »
And the finished product in a tightly sealed container.  I will use these for seasoning just about anything and everything, but be careful as this mixture, although it looks like the good ole "crushed red pepper" is much more potent.  More than once, an unsuspecting visitor as been a bit surprised.

I have kept peppers prepared like this for years at a time, using them as needed.   Being a fan of spicey food, I tend to enjoy them frequently.

This started out as about two gallons of freshly picked peppers.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »
Great tutorial Fat Guy. That would be four life times worth for me.   :scared:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
OFG you need to get some chocolate habs.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Great tutorial Fat Guy. That would be four life times worth for me.   :scared:

I still have more in the garden, Swede.  I'll be happy to hook ya up!

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:36:51 AM »
OFG you need to get some chocolate habs.

Great idea, Tatonka.  I'll have to check around for some seeds.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »
The end product also works well for self defense. 

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
My wife made the mistake of not wearing gloves while processing habaneroes a few years ago.  She suffered all night.... :nono:  It's a lesson she's remembered ever since.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Freebirde

• Master Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
When I am working with hot peppers, I coat my hands in cooking oil.   When I get through I wash them with dish soap and cold water so that the pores in the skin do not open up and the capsatin dose not get in.

OFG, have you ever tried bouquet peppers? They are considered a ornamental pepper, but they are very hot.
You will never achieve true personal greatness unless you hold yourself to a higher standard than you hold others.

With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the old ones?

There is not enough time to make all the mistakes yourself, so learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
That's a great tutorial OFG! My oldest and me would go through that in about two weeks!
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Freebirde

• Master Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »
The last time I bought a blender I made sure it would fit a standard size fruit jar.   If you have a blender like that you can chop it in a jar then take the blades and base off and put a lid on it.
You will never achieve true personal greatness unless you hold yourself to a higher standard than you hold others.

With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the old ones?

There is not enough time to make all the mistakes yourself, so learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 07:24:54 PM »
This year's crop of peppers are in the dehydrator.  Only two trays this year.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 07:35:31 AM »
My peppers didn't do well and I think the jalapenos and the banana peppers crossbred as my jalapenos were no more hot than regular bell peppers, (Even the seeds).  I even let one plant go to full maturity and still didnt get any good hot peppers out of it. 

I am down to my last 2 tablespoons of toxic waste,  I'm going to cry when it's gone  :cry:  That stuff is DA BOMB, Can't thank you enough for it OFG.

I don't know anyone who had a good crop of peppers this year, of the 4 people around me that farm, all of them had bad pepper and tomato crops.   :( 
Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Good thing I have stockpile...  No concerns about that stuff spoiling either (Maybe eating through the container though.).

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »
Hot peppers, specifically jalapenos, will product hotter peppers the more the plant is stressed while producing the fruit.  My jalapenos were all late, six plants only made 8-10 peppers and they didn't start producing until late in the season after it had cooled off.

The Thai Dragons came through as always.  I had more of those than anything.

I am going to save seeds from the "Trinidad Scorpion" I got. There were 6-8 peppers on that one. Looks to be a habanero, but supposed to be way hot.  Have not tried those yet.

"The Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend (Capsicum chinense), endemic to the district of Moruga in Trinidad and Tobago, is currently the world's hottest Chili pepper cultivated. The New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute has identified the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend as the newest hottest chili pepper as of February 2012. According to the Institute, the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend ranks as high as 2,009,231 SHU on the Scoville scale, making it the hottest chili pepper in the world to date."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Moruga_Scorpion

Any volunteers?

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Mine were late as well, In fact I just pulled the last jalapeno off on Thursday last week.    I had 4 plants and only got about 2 peppers off each plant.   :( .   I didn't even water one 

I am going to do some Thai Dragons next year, They are my absolute favorite.  Almost a perfect blend of heat and flavor.   Best peppers for chili EVER LOL.

As for volunteers, I'm always up for a good "Sweatin".  LOL

Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/