June 25, 2017, 12:14:54 AM

Author Topic: Discussion Thread About SHTF  (Read 11001 times)

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
Re: Discussion Thread About SHTF
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »
Never been good at remembering morse code and I'll wager there's a lot more people like me than you brainiacs that committed it to memory. lol

I did happen to memorize the ground to air symbols tho. It was a bit easier since there are fewer of them and I figured they'd be somewhat more identifiable to more people.

And some of you may remember the scarf I picked up in Arkansas. It also has the symbols to help me remember;

"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.

Offline MtnMan

• Scout
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2010, 06:57:10 AM »
Ant, I remember the scarf, was wondering where I might find one, looks like a neat little piece of pocket gear for emergencies.  I carry a small survival guide in my wallet, and while I do know how to perform all the tasks listed on it, I carry it more for the calming effect it would have if I needed to use it.  Not really a crutch, more like a reminder that "hey, you can handle this" reminder.  The scarf would fulfill those same functions, then I could use the pocket guide for tinder if needed :)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation...but it is a characteristic of wisdom to not do desperate things"
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2010, 07:43:18 AM »
There is nothing a wildsurvivor carries that qualifies as a crutch. I think the "I need a doctor" signal would be much larger then one line. Thats what I think.   :hmm:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »
~ but if you needed a doctor, the more simple the signal...  the easier it would be for an injured person to create. I'd hate to be shot, and then have to build some large intricate design in the sand with some heavy sticks and logs.  :unsure:

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2010, 09:13:39 AM »
Ant, I remember the scarf, was wondering where I might find one, looks like a neat little piece of pocket gear for emergencies.  I carry a small survival guide in my wallet, and while I do know how to perform all the tasks listed on it, I carry it more for the calming effect it would have if I needed to use it.  Not really a crutch, more like a reminder that "hey, you can handle this" reminder.  The scarf would fulfill those same functions, then I could use the pocket guide for tinder if needed :)

True, by itself it may get overlooked. I think tho you'd use it in conjunction with the X "I cannot proceed". It's suppose to be the international distress symbol that most people recognize. I suppose if you have a big enough canvas, you can have a whole conversation with the pilot. lol

That one came from Lake Poinsett in NE Arkansas, near Jonesboro. I'd assume many of the national parks carry their own version.
"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.