August 21, 2017, 10:46:25 AM

Author Topic: Handgun thoughts  (Read 41284 times)

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Handgun thoughts
« on: December 10, 2010, 03:19:22 PM »
I completed my CCW course last weekend and am considering a handgun. 
I love the durability and reliabilty of the Glock handguns, right now considering either a Glock 19 (9mm) or Glock 20 (10mm).
I do plan to shoot both and a few others before making any decision. 
I welcome any thoughts and comments.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
Re: Handgun thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 03:42:17 PM »
If you're going to go Glock OFG, go .40 S&W, ask any cop!

Don't you have to register the gun you use on your CCW? In my county, you can only have 2 guns on your CCW and you have to own them and take the training course WITH them before you are issued the CCW. The most dissappointing aspect of the CCW is that you can't use reloads.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:53:05 PM »
OFG you may want to check out springfield arms http://www.springfield-armory.com/. Their XDM series. They have gotten some good reviews. They have a 9mm, 40 cal and 45 cal and now have a compact XD also.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:59:14 PM »

Don't you have to register the gun you use on your CCW? In my county, you can only have 2 guns on your CCW and you have to own them and take the training course WITH them before you are issued the CCW. The most dissappointing aspect of the CCW is that you can't use reloads.
Law in Iowa lets you take the course without even shooting (yeah, crazy).  After Jan 1, 2011, Iowa becomes a "shall issue" state, so if you pass the background check, take the course, they have to issue your permit.  The course I took also covers CCW.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
OFG, I really loved my Glock .40, but it was just too big to carry as a CCW.  I gave it to my uncle Hank.  I'm going to get something lighter and smaller next time.   

Think about where you want to carry your CCW.  Some like to carry theirs on their hip, others in a shoulder holster, others prefer it at their waistband in back, etc.  You may want something a little bit smaller and lighter if you plan on carrying it in your pocket.

"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »
Can you give me some ideas why, Rocky?  Thanks.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »
OFG, I really loved my Glock .40, but it was just too big to carry as a CCW.  I gave it to my uncle Hank.  I'm going to get something lighter and smaller next time.   

Think about where you want to carry your CCW.  Some like to carry theirs on their hip, others in a shoulder holster, others prefer it at their waistband in back, etc.  You may want something a little bit smaller and lighter if you plan on carrying it in your pocket.
Great info, Holly.  I would not carry all the time, just certain times and I want to be legal.

The class I took was very good. The instructor was very down to Earth and stressed a lot of common sense. 
One thing he said that was great:  "If you go out drinking and carry - you are a DUMBASS!".

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
In police training by the time they get through telling you all the problems with carrying a fire arm you think you would be better off leaving it at home. The scenario they discuss is what happens if you pull your gun and the guy still wont stop? If you pull it be prepared to use it or dont pull it at all.

A cop goes into a laundro mat and theres a woman screaming. A man has a knife at her throat. The cop pulls his revolver and yells "drop your weapon". Instead the guy pushes the woman away and throws his knife at the cop. The cop fires killing the attacker. He just killed an unarmed man.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »
Yeah, lots of scenarios like that were discussed in the class, Swede. Lots to think about too. 

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
Can you give me some ideas why, Rocky?  Thanks.

Two main reasons: 1) Way more stopping power than the 9mm. 2)Tighter grouping than the .45 because less recoil.

Disclaimer: I have NOT shot a .40S&W but I work with ALOT of the deputies at the sheriff's dept and that has been their recommendation from the get go.

I mainly carry the Ruger .357 five shot snub nose. Every one of the deputies I talk to keep telling me to get a .40 S&W because of the 2 listed reasons. However, (and I tell them this too) In my line of work, I'm more concerned with wildlife than I am people. I'd rather blow a hole in a cat or bear with a .357 AND they (bears or cats) won't be able to try and slap me with a civil wrongful death suit because the ammo I carried in my gun was intended to kill. That's why it is unlawful HERE to use reloaded ammo, because a lawyer will JUMP on that opportunity to demostrate to the members of the jury that the shooter had the intent to kill, no to protect. Our CCW class has a LOT of emphathis on the LEGAL rammifications of carrying too. Keep that in the back of  your mind.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
Rocky, why is reloaded ammo considered bad? 

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
A Glock, Springfield XD or XDm, or Smith & Wesson M&P are all top notch guns.  My personal preference--and that's all it is--is for the M&P just because it feels best in my hand.  The main thing to remember is that if you get a gun that is so big and heavy that it's too uncomfortable to carry all day it will be left behind at home or in the car.  If the day were to come when you need it you want to be sure to have it.  The mid-size Glocks--model 19 9mm or 23 in .40 S&W--are my favorites.  If I were going to get another Glock, I would choose one of those two.  The M&P and Spingfield's XDm in 3.8" barrel version are close to the same size and weight, but a hair bigger than the Glocks.  Both the M&P and the XD/XDm series are available in compact versions though.  Today I picked up something I hadn't tried before, a SigSauer P250.  It had a good feeling grip and a decent double action trigger.  S&W's new SD9 or SD40 is another one to consider.  Another thing to consider is this:  Springfield and Smith & Wesson are offering "kits" with their pistols right now.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/home.html

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_764151_-1_757781_757781_image

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757962_-1_757752_757751_image

I've owned 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, and .45 caliber versions of a lot of semi autos.  9mm is by far the cheapest to feed, you can find some great deals out there on ammo.  The .40 S&W has more umph than the 9, but less recoil and higher capacity than the .45.  The .357 Sig is a .40 case necked down to .357 cal, with ballistics comparable to the .357 mag.  The ammo is probably the most expensive, though.  I went with a M&P40 because during the height of the ammo craze of the last couple of years there was ALWAYS .40S&W ammo at the local WallyWorld, and because it does have a bit more umph than the 9mm.  I wouldn't feel handicapped with a 9mm though.

Now, if you look at revolvers there are a lot of good choices out there.  My favorites are still the Smith & Wesson 638 and 642, but both are available in .357 magnum (649 and 640) versions that are heavier than the lightweight snubbies, but no worse to shoot than the Airweights with .38+P ammo.  Ruger's new LCR is a neat revolver, light but not punishing to shoot with standard loads and not too bad with +P's.  
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »
Which one are ya gonna get Ursula for Christmas, K-Bob?  :woot:

Offline Bushwacker

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 07:19:02 PM »
My dad and I took the CCW course a few weeks ago. We got the the certificate in the mail and sent in for more paper this week. (Background checks, etc.) We have to wait til the proper paper work comes back now to go and get our license. Anyway, I was thinking about a handgun to buy myself.

Now this next part may seem scary or inappropriate to some, but I was thinking about getting one my kids could shoot if they choose to. My 2 oldest ones are teenagers and my youngest one 10. The youngest may be the only one interested. My reason for getting one they can shoot is so that I can be the one to teach them gun safety. I prefer my kids didnt learn it from someone else. I have some rifles and can teach them that way. Its never been an issue until I took the course and decided to buy a hand gun.

Many a kid near and around us have been hurt bad or worse. Most of the time it was because they were curious and never knew how to respect a handgun or rifle. But back to my point, I may have to consider a .22 at first then maybe later buy a more powerful gun latr.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »
The ONLY problem I have with allowing a teenager or younger person to have a gun is that the temptation to "show off" their gun is irresistible at that age.  Heck, it's irresistible at MY age!  You may trust your child to be responsible, but if he or she shows it to a friend, that friend may grab for it and it can go off, or the friend may steal it or tell his parents about it and you'd be held responsible. 

Just my 2 cents worth as a mom.  :yes:

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
Which one are ya gonna get Ursula for Christmas, K-Bob?  :woot:

If I could afford to, I'd get her a Smith & Wesson M&P40.  She shoots mine so well and enjoys shooting it so much that it just seems a perfect fit for her.  She absolutely tore the "A" out of the center of an IPSC target with mine, she really likes it with the TLR-2 light and laser on it.  She said "...another thing is that I can really see the sights on this!"  She had been shooting her LCP and my LCR before the M&P.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline Bushwacker

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
My wife doesn't like the idea either. Safety is our #1 concern. It will at all times be put up and out of site with lock and key.

That's good 2 cents. Better to see that people care than to see people not care. Thanks Holly.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
If I could afford to, I'd get her a Smith & Wesson M&P40.  She shoots mine so well and enjoys shooting it so much that it just seems a perfect fit for her.  She absolutely tore the "A" out of the center of an IPSC target with mine, she really likes it with the TLR-2 light and laser on it.  She said "...another thing is that I can really see the sights on this!"  She had been shooting her LCP and my LCR before the M&P.

K-Bob, I am so pleased that Ursula has taken to this like she has.  What a wonderful woman you have!  And what a wonderful man she married too!  :hug:

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »
K-Bob, I am so pleased that Ursula has taken to this like she has.  What a wonderful woman you have!  And what a wonderful man she married too!  :hug:

Really?  I hadn't met him yet... :huh:

But really, I'm happy too.  She has a lot more confidence about being home alone now.  I told her that next she gets to learn the art of the AR...

www.1039thebulldog.com