March 24, 2017, 04:50:46 PM

Author Topic: Handgun thoughts  (Read 39988 times)

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
Re: Handgun thoughts
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »
Not a problem mate I was not having a go at you, i am just trying to highlight the issue for other readers that may not have done a course or any of the anti gun lobby that may read this thread.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
If you guys think a jury is going to convict me of purposefully looking for an excuse to kill somebody, then you haven't seen me in "full Southern charm" mode.  :P  I don't think they will convict me for killing someone when all I was doing was trying to protect my virtue.  :whistle:  Well, unless someone on the jury knows me, then it's a mistrial anyway.  :rofl: 
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline fastmover

• Tenderfoot
Re: Re: Handgun thoughts
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
What's that old saying??? I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
Yup at least Im still breathing.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
  • www.BatAndBalloonWar.com
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~waltsned
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
Shoot to kill.  Shoot until your gun is empty.

If someone wants info at a later point in time, point to your mouthpiece.

That covers both Adi and OFG's concerns.

finito

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »
Adi, OFG,

ALL the law enforcement I work with has hinted to the fact to NEVER express YOUR intent WITH the weapon...shoot, kill, harm, maim, whatnot....

Simply say (and ONLY if asked) what YOU felt "I feared for my life" "I thought he was trying to kill me" "I thought my life was in danger". In this situation, less is definitely more.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »
Adi, OFG,

ALL the law enforcement I work with has hinted to the fact to NEVER express YOUR intent WITH the weapon...shoot, kill, harm, maim, whatnot....

Simply say (and ONLY if asked) what YOU felt "I feared for my life" "I thought he was trying to kill me" "I thought my life was in danger". In this situation, less is definitely more.
I think that is great advice, Rocky.  Very similar to what my Tae Kwon Do instructor suggested if you ever had to defend yourself with the skills I have learned there.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2010, 10:01:06 PM »
no matter how cool it is to be the bad ass shoot to kill warrior minset im right your wrong guy, the reality is, in this liberal pansy "the guy robbing and raping your wife doesn't deserve to be killed" political society we live in means we have no choice but to justify our defence in the eye of the court system. so it only makes sense to be realistic about the "after incident" that we will have to go threw that might very well put us in jail for doing what should be a natural instinct(protecting ourselves). So what you say to the responding officer, the court and the jury is as important as the kick ass gorilla combat school you might have taken to be a super bad ass. hate to say it but it is the truth of the society we live in.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
Thanks, Razor.  I appreciate useful information.

Any suggestions on ear and eye protection for use while practicing and/or at the range?
Are there any standards set for what should be used?

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »
I take exception to "liberal pansy" my friend.  :nop:  The "natural instinct" is to not HAVE to kill another human . The rest is revenge. They tried eye for an eye and it didnt work well. Protecting ourselves is different then taking a human life because of what he did to your wife even though the bastard deserves it.

Are you saying as opposed to a liberal pansy society it would be better to have a conservative bad ass society? Would that work better for you?

Its the law that we all have to live by like it or not. Lets just say "Thou shalt not kill" Its based more on religious beliefs then courts.

Other then that I understand what you are saying.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »
Thanks, Razor.  I appreciate useful information.

Any suggestions on ear and eye protection for use while practicing and/or at the range?
Are there any standards set for what should be used?
i use whatever ear plugs i can snatch from work. i personally dont like ear muffs, they bug my jaw and arnt very comfortable to me. and if your shooting a rifle you can get used to an unatural hold that you might not use while hunting and it can mess up your shot.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »
I take exception to "liberal pansy" my friend.  :nop:  The "natural instinct" is to not HAVE to kill another human . The rest is revenge. They tried eye for an eye and it didnt work well. Protecting ourselves is different then taking a human life because of what he did to your wife even though the bastard deserves it.

Are you saying as opposed to a liberal pansy society it would be better to have a conservative bad ass society? Would that work better for you?

Its the law that we all have to live by like it or not. Lets just say "Thou shalt not kill" Its based more on religious beliefs then courts.

Other then that I understand what you are saying.
sorry for that swede, i didnt think before i posted. you are right i should not have put liberal there, its no different than putting democrat and that would be against the religious and political rules for a forum. my bad. wont happen again and shooting someone to stop them from raping your wife is never revenge, its justified in my eyes.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
I have used the ear plugs when practicing with my shotgun, but those are pretty much use a couple of times and throw away.  I plan to practice more with a handgun, so was thinking the "ear muff" type would work better for that.

Anyone tried the electronic ones?

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
I have used the ear plugs when practicing with my shotgun, but those are pretty much use a couple of times and throw away.  I plan to practice more with a handgun, so was thinking the "ear muff" type would work better for that.

i havnt but ive hear good things about them. i have litterally dozens of the plugs. i never use the same ones twice.(im always worried ill get an ear infection) but if the muffs work for you id say get some. especially with all the ones they have now that you can hear people talk but kill the high decible shots. some even amplify the sounds you want to hear.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:14 PM »
I have used the ear plugs when practicing with my shotgun, but those are pretty much use a couple of times and throw away.  I plan to practice more with a handgun, so was thinking the "ear muff" type would work better for that.

OFG, get the "plug in your ear" type, but the expensive ones. You can hear people talk but it blocks the gunfire frequency. I am TOTALLY sold on those. I'll send you the brand name ones that I have to buy a pair. I say expensive but they're like 20 bucks. I don't wear ear protection with shotguns anymore, but with a pistol, hearing protection is paramount. I don't like the "ear muff" types with hand guns because I've knocked them off with my shoulders when doing "combat" shooting.
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »
I think that is great advice, Rocky.  Very similar to what my Tae Kwon Do instructor suggested if you ever had to defend yourself with the skills I have learned there.
Your instructor undoubtebly has had peers encounter (or maybe himself) the civil side of the law after being cleared of the criminal side of innocence. If you have been trained to even use a toothpick as a lethal weapon, your defense is the feeling that you lacked personal safety. At that point, you used any and every resource as an instinctual "self preservation" response. No jury will condemn you on that premise.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2010, 10:51:47 PM »
OFG, get the "plug in your ear" type, but the expensive ones. You can hear people talk but it blocks the gunfire frequency. I am TOTALLY sold on those. I'll send you the brand name ones that I have to buy a pair. I say expensive but they're like 20 bucks. I don't wear ear protection with shotguns anymore, but with a pistol, hearing protection is paramount. I don't like the "ear muff" types with hand guns because I've knocked them off with my shoulders when doing "combat" shooting.
your not supposed to do tripple dismount trampoline jump double combat rolls for practice...unless your training for the new batman movie!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2010, 10:56:38 PM »
sorry for that swede, i didnt think before i posted. you are right i should not have put liberal there, its no different than putting democrat and that would be against the religious and political rules for a forum. my bad. wont happen again and shooting someone to stop them from raping your wife is never revenge, its justified in my eyes.

No problem my friend. I think liberals get blamed enough for every thing. Dont worry Id shoot the bastard and eat a sandwich at the same time.The same holds true for any of my kids. That there is basic.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »
Thanks, Rocky.  I appreciate the information. Send it over.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2010, 11:02:52 PM »
No problem my friend. I think liberals get blamed enough for every thing. Dont worry Id shoot the bastard and eat a sandwich at the same time.The same holds true for any of my kids. That there is basic.
good, im glad i didnt offend you. sometimes it is easy to judge or pass blame. i didnt mean it the way i wrote it, thats just the way it rolled off my fingers. and thank you for calling me friend, that is much appreciated my Friend