March 26, 2017, 01:54:26 PM

Author Topic: Handgun thoughts  (Read 40005 times)

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
Re: Handgun thoughts
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »

Rockhounder:  I am so old, you qualified expert if you could reload your weapon in less than two minutes.  My first issue pistol had a rock on the side to make sparks.  :hugegrin: happy061.gif

That right there made me spill about an ounce and a half of irish whiskey through my nose.....You owe me Unca. I figure a fat Churchill cigar and a friendly game of "chip" at the trap range would settle things. I'll get over the "sting" in my nose...... :P
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
  • www.BatAndBalloonWar.com
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~waltsned
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2010, 05:29:43 AM »
That right there made me spill about an ounce and a half of irish whiskey through my nose.....You owe me Unca. I figure a fat Churchill cigar and a friendly game of "chip" at the trap range would settle things. I'll get over the "sting" in my nose...... :P

This IS an actual photo of me in uniform:

I wasn't bein' quite honest about the flint...  Actually it was pyrites, and you wound up the spring-wheel... The flint came with my later guns.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »
Could we please try to keep this thread a bit more on topic? 
Thanks - ofg
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »
Now that you've sort of narrowed down your focus OFG, have you given thought to the way you're going to carry?  In the waistband (IWB), outside  the waistband (OWB), etc?
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
Could we please try to keep this thread a bit more on topic? 
Thanks - ofg

~   SURE!     ON topic   ON topic   ON topic    yeah yeah yeah!
                   ON topic   ON topic   ON topic   yeah yeah yeah!   :punk:

Got to keep it
                   Got to keep it
                   Got to keep it

ON 

TAH
                     PIC!

::pbjt::       got to keep it going ON.... got to keep it on that
toppity topic
toppity topic
toppity topic
NOW yeah baby..... yeah yeah yeah! 

oh, what was the topic again?  :unsure:

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
~   SURE!     ON topic   ON topic   ON topic    yeah yeah yeah!
                   ON topic   ON topic   ON topic   yeah yeah yeah!   :punk:

Got to keep it
                   Got to keep it
                   Got to keep it

ON 

TAH
                     PIC!

::pbjt::       got to keep it going ON.... got to keep it on that
toppity topic
toppity topic
toppity topic
NOW yeah baby..... yeah yeah yeah! 

oh, what was the topic again?  :unsure:
'
It's the thought that counts, Taken.  LOL

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
Now that you've sort of narrowed down your focus OFG, have you given thought to the way you're going to carry?  In the waistband (IWB), outside  the waistband (OWB), etc?
K-Bob  Definitely something to think about.  I will not carry everyday, just when it might be needed.  I like the feel of the Crossbreed Supertuck, which is an IWB.
I am open to suggestions as well.
Thanks - OFG

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try one, but I have yet to hear the first negative comment on the Crossbreed SuperTuck.  I'm working on getting one myself, plus I'm interested in Dragon Leatherworks' Fugly holster:

http://www.dragonleatherworks.com/fugly.htm

I've had my share of IWB holsters, and the vast majority have been uncomfortable junk that wanted to move around.  The SuperTuck and Fugly are a pair that I've been wanting to try.  I just recently bought a Bianchi Model 100 IWB holster for my Kimber and Colt .45's, so far it isn't too bad, but I think that either of the other two would better distribute the weight of a full or medium sized handgun.  The main thing I've found is that a full body shield between all the little edges of a gun (hammer, grip safety, etc) is a must.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
It doesn't make sense to me to get a quality handgun, spend the time learning to use it,  then have a cheap ass holster that you aren't comfortable wearing.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
Yeah, a good holster is an investment.  I've always carried the full or medium sized autos in a OWB holster, and I haven't skimped on those.  But I've learned that skimping on the IWB holster is just a bad idea. 

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
i use galco iwb and i have a blackhawk serpa for owb. k bob is absolutly right. make sure there is leather, plastic or a forcefield between the exposed part of the gun and your body. i carried in crappy cheap holsters for the first year i had my ccw. i actually had my gun fall out in the walmart bathroom, nobody was there but that convinced me to buy a good holster. i love my galco but i am looking at the supertuck myself. primarily for my smith.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
  • www.BatAndBalloonWar.com
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~waltsned
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2010, 05:26:08 AM »
I like a Pro-Packer holster... but they ain't cheap.  The one I use is very compact and has an extra magazine holder for extra rocks.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2010, 11:02:39 AM »
From my CCW course....
"You don't 'Shoot to kill', you "Shoot to stop the threat'".

I have to disagree with that thought, If you are using a weapon to to defend yourself you shoot to kill, never to wound which that statement implies.   I think they told you that for political reasons to counter the anti gun lobby. We had the same problems in Northern Ireland where we shot to kill but the press took this as to mean we use nothing but deadly force.   
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »
I have to disagree with that thought, If you are using a weapon to to defend yourself you shoot to kill, never to wound which that statement implies.   I think they told you that for political reasons to counter the anti gun lobby. We had the same problems in Northern Ireland where we shot to kill but the press took this as to mean we use nothing but deadly force.   
I think you are missing the point, Adi. 
If you would get into a situation where you did have to use your handgun to defend yourself, the instructor made no bones about it - shoot to kill the attacker.  There was no mention whatsoever of "shooting to wound" the attacker. 

What he was saying was that when the police arrived, you should say " I shot to stop the threat.".  If you said "I shot to kill", then some piss head prosecutor could (meaning some have) twist that around and make it sound you were out looking to kill someone and call in to question that what you did was in self defense.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
No i did not miss the point. When you draw your weapon you use deadly force or shoot to kill but to stay with in the nicety's of law, the press and the public you have to sale it as neutralising the treat.

The law is not a threat to you as long as you can justify your actions to judge and jury. If you can not justify your actions you deserve a judgement against you.   

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »
Adi - I am simply passing along what was presented in class, based on what has happened in the courts and according to the law in the United States.  Yes, I agree, it is stupid that you have to present it that way, but in such a situation here in the US, doing so could do a lot to protect you under the law.

If you were in that situation and wished to say "I shot to kill", that is completely your choice.  Personally, I would use the phrasing as it was presented in class, after consulting with my attourney.

Offline fastmover

• Tenderfoot
Re: Re: Handgun thoughts
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
Never been in a situation where I had to use a firearm to protect myself and if I ever do I will go with the premise I used a firearm because I was scared and felt my and my family's life was in danger.  If the predator who attacked me survives or doesn't.....doesn't matter as long as my family and myself survived the scenario

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »
It has always been my intention that if I was faced with having to defend myself from some one trying to kill me That I would end it right there and not let him have another chance. The same holds true from some one vowing to kill me. I would try to judge him right there just how serious he is about that threat. "Lets not wait" would be my response.

Survivors will do what it takes and let the law sort it out.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
I understand what you are saying and I agree but others with no gun knowledge get confused by the different terms and start to question your actions. Courts will start to ask why didn't you shoot to wound.   This has already happened with cases after the FBI Sniper shoot the pistol out of the guys hands who was sat in the middle of the road threatening take his head off with a lump of hi velocity lead.

The FBI and other law enforcement in the states admitted that the footage of the sniper taking that shot was very damaging and will lead to every shooting case in court being asked why didn't you shoot the gun out of his hand. The FBI and many SWAT teams have banned their operatives from taking such shots again.

If the course you were on defined the difference between you taking a killing shot and how you respond to questions then that is fine but it is a very fine line. If you shot someone and was in court and the defence team knew that you were told to shoot to stop the threat, if they were worth their salt they would be asking you why you did not shoot him in the leg or shoot the weapon out of his hand.

All i am trying to highlight is that comments like that you  were told makes you feel safe and secure in the eyes of the law but once tested in court and having to face the lawyers questions those words you were told will be twisted and used against you and you could be left out in the cold to face a charge against you.

If in that situation I would make it very clear that i was taught that if fronted by a threat to meet that threat with an appropriate level of response and if that meant drawing my weapon and firing I was taught to shoot to kill aiming at centre of mass and not to but mine and other lives at risk by shooting for any other reason, meaning if I fire my weapon i am using it to make a clean kill and not waving my weapon around trying to connecting a round to any other part of the body other than centre of mass.  

Remember lawyers are paid to mix up your words and make you the guilty party and make their client the victim.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »
Sorry if this was out of context a bit, Adi, but your thoughts are pretty much the intent of the instructor. If you have to shoot, shoot center mass and continue to shoot until the threat is neutralized.

When asked what happened, your resonse would be that you feared for your life and you defended yourself.  If asked if you "shot to kill" your repsonse should be "I shot to stop the threat".

There was a considerable amount of time spent in the class going over the legal ramifcations of carrying a handgun (you are not a cop, you do not get involved in something that is none of your business) as well as if you had to use it to defent yourself.