June 25, 2017, 08:59:28 PM

Author Topic: found a survial place  (Read 2965 times)

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
found a survial place
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
I think I found the perfect place to go to learn survival stuff but I don't know if I can do it because well I am not smart and my extreame shyness but I really want to try   :)

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/wilderness-survival-course.html

and it's not to far from me maybe I can make some friends but i would be to scared to do this  :help:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
Re: found a survial place
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »
I think I found the perfect place to go to learn survival stuff but I don't know if I can do it because well I am not smart and my extreame shyness but I really want to try   :)

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/wilderness-survival-course.html
and it's not to far from me maybe I can make some friends but i would be to scared to do this  :help:
i am scared to death of hights, but i embraced that fear and became a rock climber for about 20 years. it is ok to be afraid but i say go for it, as watcher likes to say carp deum (probly spelled that wrong) a statement i read somewhere has always stuck with me, its not word for word but it goes something like this...there is no bravery in not being afraid, bravery is being scared out of your pants but still getting it done. i think your brave and you would probably excell at that school.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
Carpe Diem, latin for seize the day.  Make your life extrodenary~

Henry David Thoreau said I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, To put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die Discover that I had not lived.

Mark Twain said "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

These were two of the greatest writers of the last 100 years.  They, like many others (Rocky for example) have "seized the day".  I have tried to begin living by that modo.  It is difficult, but rewarding!  With a course like that I am not sure how serious they make it.  I know some survival courses are very "military like" and a very roguh learning enviroment.  Others, like this one very well may be, can be a splended place with a teacher that is very willing to share. 

In a class like this where there are more people that just you and the teacher it can be difficult to learn.  It really helps, for me anyways, to have a one on one teacher (Usually Razor).  I'd say look around and see if there are others with similar interests in the area that you can get with to learn these skills one on one. 

Another idea may be purchasing a video like Ron Hood's Woodsmaster movie.  It is extremely instructional, and shows you step by step what to do.  I know if you post your progress and difficulties here that others will be willing to help you as long as your willing to hear constructive criticism (which always helps!)

Carpe Diem Kim! 
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »
Impressive post there young man. Youve come a long way my friend.   :arigato:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
Kim, that course would be a good stepping stone for you. And like Watcher said you can get the Woodsmaster series of DVD's and watch them also. As for being shy that's ok. Take a friend with you then you both can learn together.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:34:51 AM »
Kim, I think you would have so much fun, you would forget all about your shyness and fears right away!  :thumbsup: 
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:10:48 AM »
Impressive post there young man. Youve come a long way my friend.   :arigato:
thats awsome swede, thank you so much for making this sight. i always feel at home here. hope you and yours have a wonderfull christmass, Razor
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:20:37 AM »
Aw shucks, thanks Swede... 

Kim, right now I'm pretty sure Ron is having a sale on his videos. They are only around fifteen bucks a pop. I would recomend numbers one through four if you can afford it. These will give you many step by step guides to skills that can save your life
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »
Kim, survival training is about teaching confidence, by doing this course you will be building your self confidence in every aspect of your life and will help develop your personal skills to deal with you shyness.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »
That looks like fun, you should definitely go!
Well were gathered together, at the sunrise of never,
To bring witness to the good big sky

Yah jokers, ya con men, ya real estate salesmen  
To bring witness to the day we all die

Wahhhhh, wah, wah-wahh wah-wahh- waaaaaaaaaah

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »
I think I will save my $ and go for it  :) and Watcher I will look into the videos :thumbup: and thanks for the encouragment  :arigato:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »
I had a chance to look through the site and the information they post looks good. Marty Simon at the Wilderness Learning Center has a DVD on plant identification.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »
oh really see I don't know what to look for in a survival caurse so thanks

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
They had some neat articles on tracking, which is a lot of fun. Also some information on building debris huts which was useful becuase I may be doing a weekend campout this February and I've never done that before. I liked the presentation on the site.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
good there only a few miles from me  :thumbsup:

Offline Tatonka

• Survivorman
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »
Kim, I think you'll have a great time in that course and will walk away from it with a lot more confidence and your skills will be a lot better.

Offline Freebirde

• Master Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »
Go Kim!   I can see you in class and the teacher ask you a question and you answer "Tatonka says ........" and the teacher says "You're right, who's Tatonka?".  :hugegrin:
You will never achieve true personal greatness unless you hold yourself to a higher standard than you hold others.

With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the old ones?

There is not enough time to make all the mistakes yourself, so learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »
Go Kim!   I can see you in class and the teacher ask you a question and you answer "Tatonka says ........" and the teacher says "You're right, who's Tatonka?".  :hugegrin:

:rofl: happy097.gifyes I am going to go for it I am so excited and scared and terrified but hey I can do it

Offline Muddy Pete

• Survivorman
  • SPAMMMMMMMM!
    • Muddy Pete's day off
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »
:rofl: happy097.gifyes I am going to go for it I am so excited and scared and terrified but hey I can do it

Yayyy!! You'll have fun. Any idea yet as to what classes you want to take?

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
no not yet the basics first