March 29, 2017, 04:19:34 AM

Author Topic: Battle Royal... Grand Melee... Mortal Kombat! O, Raffs!!  (Read 5298 times)

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
  • www.BatAndBalloonWar.com
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~waltsned
Battle Royal... Grand Melee... Mortal Kombat! O, Raffs!!
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »
 This is goin' on as I type...

My fambly of peafowl came outa the woods to get some corn for breakfast.  Three peacocks, two peahens.

Yabbut...

The fambly of squirrels showed up at the same time.  Five of them, too.   :rofl:

So the peacocks fluffed all up with their baby feathers, chasing the squirrels while mama and sis got the corn.  But the squirrels are FAST.  And incredibly persistent.  They were runnin' simply everywhere to get by the giant birdies to get at the corn. 

Gawd!  It is SO funny. I tooken a dozen pics, but I'll just pick a couple.  One squirrel is in my macadamia bush. One just went boundy boundy to the pine tree (about a foot up on the right).  One is running a quarterback sneak. Lookit:

Note there are squirrels zipping around; there's three in this pic... two are facing squirrels off camera to the right.

Finally, even MAMA Peahen got pissed, and SHE spread her tail (lady peafowl really ain't got the right equipment, but she gave it a damn' good shot!) She is the one on the left  :P:box:

Note that one of the squirrels made an end run, and got up on the feeder...  The other four are still running/bounding everywhere tryna get through the birdie-defensive line...  scared011.gif

Hilarious to watch.  happy097.gif

Gawd.  I love Floriduh.

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
Re: Battle Royal... Grand Melee... Mortal Kombat! O, Raffs!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
There's a lot of good entertainment around if you just know where to look!  Thanks for sharing this, Unca!   :thumbup:
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »
~ Those are beautiful Birds! You're so lucky to have all that wildlife to watch. I'd never leave home if I had all that going on.  :thumbsup:

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
Ya gotta go look closely at the pics above to see a further explanation of the fun going on.

When peacocks puff up their hineys, they "shiver" them.  This makes a loud, ominous, rustling noise.  And they sorta bend over at the same time*** all the while walking backwards... until they RUSH forward at the squirrels.

***Lookit the knees of the boys in the top two pics.  See how they are bent?  Note the straight legs of the ladies nibbling the corn.  Then lookit the mama fluffing up HER hiney -- knees bent backwards just like her boys.

They roost in a tree in the woods next door.  No way can I get a pic of them doing that, 'cuz they only get up there just at dark.

BUT WAIT!! BUT WAIT!!

SOOPER fun thing last night.  The Fabled PC (my long-sufferin' bride) was going out to get the mail late yestiddy afternoon.  She came runnin' in to tell me the whole dang fambly has decided to spend the night on our roof!!!

So I ran out and tooken another pic to share:

I really love their little hats...  :love:

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
Dunno if this will work... I set up my game camera (works on the same principle as auto-sensing door openers) and caught a buncha pictures of the "second shift" <-- that's when the raccoons, possums, wildcats, otters, foxies come out.  Strung them together and made a creaky movie.  There were TWO racketycoons in that "movie".  You will see the camera jump, and the secondary feeder rod swing:

Offline Rockhounder

• Survivorman
  • Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
LOL! That's a great composite shot Walt! Got my thumbs up!
SARCHASM: (n.) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Offline Unca Walt

• Master Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
thanks, rocky...

We had some more fun today.  The three males (peacocks, that is) were having a dominance filtering out to see who's da Boss.

What was a scream was at one point, they were carefully walking around and around a pine tree... equally spaced.  It looked like some sort of surreal merry-go-round.