January 21, 2017, 03:34:03 PM

Author Topic: natural tinder for spark and friction based fire starting  (Read 9792 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: natural tinder for spark and friction based fire starting
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »
Welcome back MtnMan   :wave:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline MtnMan

• Scout
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 08:27:57 AM »
Hello Swede!  Heading out to the forest in a few minutes to coax in a gobbler, maybe, or more likely to put razor's tinder-tenderizing ideas to good practice.  Good to be back.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation...but it is a characteristic of wisdom to not do desperate things"
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
great job taken your my insperation yeah you go girl  :pray:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
great job taken your my insperation yeah you go girl  :pray:

~ Awwww.... you're so sweet, Kim.  :hug:  I guess razor sharp set off a chain reaction kinda spark that caught fire, and spread to others.  :yes:

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »
Great post RS, Cedar bark is a favorite of mine and we have lots of it here.

Good job Taken. Ya know a small stainless cup is a good idea anyway in case you need to boil water or something, but you'll eventually learn to use your body or clothing in conjunction with another object like a tree or big rock to block the wind,  or even build a small wind break of some sort.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »

I think that is what you guys call Red hot Fire Poker but the photo aint great.
Getting out there and doing it. Aptare et superare ;)

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
I think that is what you guys call Red hot Fire Poker but the photo aint great.

Sorry I think i got the wrong plant, I think you call it fire weed. We call it Rosebay willowherb

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mistwalker

• Raconteur
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Sorry I think i got the wrong plant, I think you call it fire weed. We call it Rosebay willowherb

I've never had a name for it...but the tops make great tinder. It was the first thing my brother tried when I gave him and LMF firesteel a couple of years ago.

Not all who wander are lost

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
i found out how good nettles worked when i was trying to make natural cordage when i was about 16-17. i was having a lot of trouble making string that i just wadded up the stalk i was working on and threw it down. later i was getting ready to make a fire and couldnt find anything i thought would make good tinder. i saw the little bundle laying there and picked it back up. i started to rub it in my hands and the woody stuff started sepperating. thats when i got the whole birds nest thing. i dropped a coal in it from my drill and got fire in seconds. i never used a fire steel or spark till i was about 30. love my strikeforce.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
it's been raining for the last 2 or 3 monthes now so not really in a survival mood because everything is wet 8|
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

• Survivorman
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »
it's been raining for the last 2 or 3 monthes now so not really in a survival mood because everything is wet 8|

~ Kim, you live in a dismal place for somebody who may have seasonal mood disorder...   I wish you could be in the sun more.  :console:

This Thread is all about Power over the elements. I have been a student for a long time, Kim,  and I know my teachers when I meet them. Only, in real life, it is not always as dramatic as the movies make it out to be. I would never expect to stare at a pile of tinder and have it burst into flame. but the magic is ever present. Teachers never come in the form that you would imagine... nor do their lessons,  :arigato:   but Nature brings them to those who seek balance.  :thumbup:

I'm sure that "Parting the Mists" is not going to be the dramatic event that this movie portrays either, but will involve a lot of patience, skill, and work.... like all of the other teachings have been. One thing I know for certain, though, is that I AM going to be able to do it. In every way, I am "of" the lady of the Lake lineage, and the mists of Avalon.  ;)  I've known it from my first memories.

Offline Adi

• Bushmaster
    • Pure Survival
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »
, I am "of" the lady of the Lake lineage, and the mists of Avalon.  ;)  I've known it from my first memories.

So you speak Somersetshire like me then. This winter I will head home and take some photos of the mists of Avalon just for you Taken!

• Survivorman
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
So you speak Somersetshire like me then. This winter I will head home and take some photos of the mists of Avalon just for you Taken!

~ Really?     :bounce:  That would be Great!  :cheers:

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
I thought Avolon was a myth

I only had a few good teachers in my life I count Les stroud as one of them and the people here  :thumbup:

• Survivorman
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »
~ if you work your tinder right, you don't need Magnesium flakes at all, just a spark and it ignites. (That's what I've learned since then.) Fluffy stuff works best. Where I live (In the South) that's tall grass/weed plumes they bloom like crazy all over the place here in the fall.

I've been playing with fire today. I walked up the road and snapped off the tops of feathery plumage. The more you play the more you learn.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
~ if you work your tinder right, you don't need Magnesium flakes at all, just a spark and it ignites. (That's what I've learned since then.) Fluffy stuff works best. Where I live (In the South) that's tall grass/weed plumes they bloom like crazy all over the place here in the fall.

I've been playing with fire today. I walked up the road and snapped off the tops of feathery plumage. The more you play the more you learn.
:arigato: the student becomes the teacher.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

Offline simpleman

• Lookout
natural tinder for spark and friction based fire starting
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
Cat tails are awesome. Even before they bloom you can pull them apart to get the fluff out. You're right, there is a lot of god fluffy stuff in the south. Lol

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »
i like breaking off the stem, sticking them in the ground and lighting the tops. they burn slowly and smell kind of like incense but they do a great job of keeping the skeeters away for a bit. depending on there size they can last 10-20 minuts.

Offline simpleman

• Lookout
natural tinder for spark and friction based fire starting
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »
I'll have to try that.