September 19, 2017, 12:06:16 PM

Author Topic: Digital Field Guides?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
Digital Field Guides?
« on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:34 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had a source for digital field guides?   Books can be a bit bulky, and I want to do a "Booklet" print (4 pages to 1, double sided so 8 pages to 1 printed page 8 1/2 x 11) to put in my notebook in the field.   
Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline Hiker

• Tracker
Digital Field Guides?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »
You can buy an "app" from iTunes for the iPods or iPhones, I'm not sure where else you could get them. There basically a digital version of a petersons field guide.
A country boy can survive....

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
    • Average Guy Reviews
Re: Digital Field Guides?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
I have every form of electronic known to man (Droid, Windows 7 phone, windows Tablets Droid Tablets,  etc) but I do not have an I-phone (Or I anything for that matter).  Apple and I had a falling out a number of years ago when I was doing Software QA, and I just can't bring myself to buy any of their products.  Not that they are bad products, but some business practices and a couple run in's I've had with them over the years.

I'll have to see if they have them in other formats.  I like digital on my tablet and phone, I have nook and kindle apps so I can read them and have quite a bit of stuff downloaded.  But I tend to pack my phone up in a waterproof case when I'm in the field and would prefer to print some note sheets when I'm out and about.

Thanks.  I'll check Peterson's and probably get a couple on nook.

Doc
Doc

Offline Hiker

• Tracker
Digital Field Guides?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
I have every form of electronic known to man (Droid, Windows 7 phone, windows Tablets Droid Tablets,  etc) but I do not have an I-phone (Or I anything for that matter).  Apple and I had a falling out a number of years ago when I was doing Software QA, and I just can't bring myself to buy any of their products.  Not that they are bad products, but some business practices and a couple run in's I've had with them over the years.

I'll have to see if they have them in other formats.  I like digital on my tablet and phone, I have nook and kindle apps so I can read them and have quite a bit of stuff downloaded.  But I tend to pack my phone up in a waterproof case when I'm in the field and would prefer to print some note sheets when I'm out and about.

Thanks.  I'll check Peterson's and probably get a couple on nook.

Doc

Sory doc, I missed your post. You can get most of them in a "PDF" form, your windows 7 should read that. I love my iPhone, I have allmost  all the guides in my pocket at all times, nice on a hike and want to look something up.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »
i wish we had this technology when i was learning this stuff 25 years ago. i had to haul field guides to the woods for research. i have a huge library of books i used to take a few at a time and find and identify plants and learn different skills from reading and doing. i wish i would have been able to sit down, watch a youtube video or pull a 600 page field guide out of my front pocket to get the info i needed at the time.  we are definitely a spoiled society now.  but i wont complain. even i have a smartphone now. and you would probably have to take it from me by force  :P
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
i wish we had this technology when i was learning this stuff 25 years ago. i had to haul field guides to the woods for research. i have a huge library of books i used to take a few at a time and find and identify plants and learn different skills from reading and doing. i wish i would have been able to sit down, watch a youtube video or pull a 600 page field guide out of my front pocket to get the info i needed at the time.  we are definitely a spoiled society now.  but i wont complain. even i have a smartphone now. and you would probably have to take it from me by force  :P

~ me too. Nobody gets my phone from me! LOL....   Honestly though, my intuition tells me to buy the field guide books. I like the laminated brochure-type ones too, that you can carry in your pocket. I have yet to find a cell phone signal in the mountains. Even in the Appalchian foothills north of me.... the signals are few and far between. I like tangible resources that I can pick up, and read by some fire light if I have to. God knows my phone has failed me a thousand times.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »
~ me too. Nobody gets my phone from me! LOL....   Honestly though, my intuition tells me to buy the field guide books. I like the laminated brochure-type ones too, that you can carry in your pocket. I have yet to find a cell phone signal in the mountains. Even in the Appalchian foothills north of me.... the signals are few and far between. I like tangible resources that I can pick up, and read by some fire light if I have to. God knows my phone has failed me a thousand times.
true, but you can put a lot of info nowadays on sd cards, memory sticks and ipods(i think) but they all still have one failing. they need power to run. if your battery, or your battery backup or your solar battery charger etc. fails you no longer have the field guide. as Confucius says. faintest pencil line better than strongest memory.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

• Survivorman
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
~ I like books. Even at work, our ventilator manuals are right on the computor screen of the Vent. But it takes me forever to nagivate and scroll and turn pages on that stupid screen. I can flip open a book and find what I need WAY quicker. Especially when I'm familiar with it. Of course books can get wet, and be destroyed too. But none of mine ever have. Even so, I still have tons of survival stuff on my phone!

If that fails I have everybody's number. So if I forget something, I have back up!

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
~ I like books. Even at work, our ventilator manuals are right on the computor screen of the Vent. But it takes me forever to nagivate and scroll and turn pages on that stupid screen. I can flip open a book and find what I need WAY quicker. Especially when I'm familiar with it. Of course books can get wet, and be destroyed too. But none of mine ever have.
i have the survival book that got me started when i was 14. (outdoor survival skills by larry dean olson) its a bit battered and the pages are stained but ive never had a problem with it in the field. zip lock bags really do wonders. i have a bunch of edible and medicinal p-lant books that the pages are coated or of a waterproof material so they can survive in the places you use them.  id love to have 1 thing the size of my cell phone that held all that info that never ran out of batteries to take to the field. that really would shorten the learning curve associated with bushcraft and survival. especially in the plants identification field.  doc, if you got something like that please share. you have our interests peaked.  :arigato:

Offline Hiker

• Tracker
Digital Field Guides?
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
I did the same thing razor... Both cargo pockets jammed full of books lol .... That's why I love this modern tech.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
I did the same thing razor... Both cargo pockets jammed full of books lol .... That's why I love this modern tech.
dont get me wrong hiker. i love it to. but in a real world survival situation i would take a book over it anyday. unless you could use it to call in the seals  ;)

Offline Hiker

• Tracker
Digital Field Guides?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
dont get me wrong hiker. i love it to. but in a real world survival situation i would take a book over it anyday. unless you could use it to call in the seals  ;)

Oh hell yeah, didn't realize you ment a bug out type situation... batteries suck lol

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
Oh hell yeah, didn't realize you ment a bug out type situation... batteries suck lol
i know there are crank lights with chargers (i have one that will charge my cell phone, my video camera and anything else with a mini usb connection) as well as solar powered pannels and such. but i just dont trust it all. anything can happen. thats why even though i love my gps and do all kinds of cool stuff with it i would take a compass and map over it anytime. i do love my toys though. and thats exactly what they are to me, toys.  fun to play with.

• Survivorman
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »
~ I think it makes sense to have both at  your disposal. The more info. the merrier.  :thumbup:

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:17 PM »
~ I think it makes sense to have both at  your disposal. The more info. the merrier.  :thumbup:
exactly what taken said.  spot on girl  :thumbup:

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
Yep, Taken hit it on the head.   I like to to print manuals in 2 x 2 pages front and back (8 pages per sheet) of 8 1/2 by 11. (I have good eyes and have zero problems reading text at 1/4 size).    Then I cram a LOT of material into a small space.   But I also plan ahead and have plenty of charging ability between my hand crank and my 2 solar chargers to keep my phone going indefinitely as long as it survives.   

With a little planning, both can go with you and keep you covered.   Now in a situation where its an emergency, the odds are better my phone will be on my hip and not my survival manuals.    In a bug out scenario, I would either have time to grab my tote of books and pack it when we go, or I'll go in a hurry with just my pack with just a couple books, but my phone will be on my hip either way. 

No reason not to have both.  But since I spend 99.999% of my time in a non life or death situation, having the extra abilities of the digital devices just makes a whole lot of sense.  Considering if I am in a do or die situation and all I have is what I have on me at any given time,  I'm willing to bet I'll have my phone and not my stash of printouts.    But for day to day, sometimes it is nice to grab a booklet.  Plus I can always throw one to someone who needs it and still have it on my phone.  Win, Win.
Doc

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
im talking more about learning more than carrying in survival situation. if i am going to go out and learn what i need to know so that when the situation happens (doubtfull) then i will already have the knowledge rather than carry it with me. doing anything from scratch untill you have it mastered beats just carrying a field guide (regardless weather its on a memory stick or a field manual) anytime.  anybody can read it, but untill you do it you dont own it.  watch the movie (or read the book) into the wild. perfect example of why reading something can get you killed. and why not print them out in 1/20th size and use a magnefying glass. you could probably carry the lybrary of congress with you that way.  :P

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »
yep razor your absolutly right
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 07:21:57 PM »
Also agree, I did read it and he was an example of failure learn, (reading is not doing).   

It's just easier for me to have 100 different manuals on my phone that I can pull up at any given time depending on where I am and what I'm doing to learn and practice from.    So on a simple hike, I can go adhock and pull up something to learn about based on what is happing or what I am seeing at the time.   No limit to the number of training documents I can have.   Works great and if something obscure comes up I can be prepared to learn from it.

Again its a win win, no one way is better, but the more options and the more availability, the better the chances you'll have something with you at the time you are prepared to learn from it.

Doc