March 29, 2017, 04:15:01 AM

Author Topic: Chicory Root Coffee  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Artifice

• Tenderfoot
  • A man whos never tasted Quiche!
    • Studio Artifice
Chicory Root Coffee
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
This very common plant is actually edible from flower to root. (Raw or Cooked)  But it can also be made to make coffee.

Dig up the roots of 10 to 20 plants. You’re looking for roughly a half-pound of roots for a good sized batch. Cut the tops from the roots, but save the tops. You can sauté the tops in butter or oil to make a vitamin-rich cooked green.

Preheat your oven to 350 F while you wash the dirt off your roots, and cut them into half-inch bits. Spread the roots on a cookie sheet and bake until the roots are chocolate brown, and almost about to start burning. This usually takes 30 to 40 minutes, but watch them closely, as you don’t want them to actually burn.

You can either freeze these or they will last up to a month in a breathable container.

To make chicory coffee, pour boiling water into a coffee mug and add one tablespoon of roasted chicory root for every 8 ounces of water used. Cover the mug with a saucer or some other lid. Let the brew steep for 10 minutes. Finally, sweeten it to your taste and enjoy your drink.

This is just one of the many uses for Chicory.  Another is that its actually got medicinal purposes as well.  Chicory is harmful to internal parasites which is a great thing out in the field!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:43:59 PM by Artifice »
Im a man who's never tasted Quiche!

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Re: Chicory Root Coffee
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Of course, some people around here would want to leave the dirt on...
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline Artifice

• Tenderfoot
    • Studio Artifice
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Of course, some people around here would want to leave the dirt on...

Its not a bad coffee but dont expect it to taste like Maxwell House lol

But theres alot of common plants here on the east coast that have tons of uses. 

Where are you from?

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »
The Planet Xaxon  Iowa

Offline Artifice

• Tenderfoot
    • Studio Artifice
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »
The Planet Xaxon  Iowa

Awesome.  Ive never been out there.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »
I have a couple of "Fear the Turtle" t-shirts.

Offline Artifice

• Tenderfoot
    • Studio Artifice
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »
I have a couple of "Fear the Turtle" t-shirts.

Nice!  Represetning Maryland in Iowa! lol

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
LOL Based on the time it took me to hike the Grand Canyon, I thought it appropriate to wear that shirt on the north rim the following day.

Offline Artifice

• Tenderfoot
    • Studio Artifice
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
LOL Based on the time it took me to hike the Grand Canyon, I thought it appropriate to wear that shirt on the north rim the following day.

Awesome lol

How long did it take you?

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
Awesome lol

How long did it take you?
15 hours and 36 minutes and covered 23.4 miles, with first a drop of 4,500 feet to the river, then a climb of 5,500 feet.

Here is the story:
http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,5374.0.html

Offline Artifice

• Tenderfoot
    • Studio Artifice
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »
15 hours and 36 minutes and covered 23.4 miles, with first a drop of 4,500 feet to the river, then a climb of 5,500 feet.

Here is the story:
http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,5374.0.html

That had to be a blast!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Our roads in Illinois are lined with that plant. I love the color and cant accept it called a weed here.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »
ive roasted the root and made coffee. it works, ive also roasted dandilion root for coffee substitute. its a little better to my tast but mixing the two makes it a little better. bad thing is i dont belive there is any caffeen  :disgust:
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline Artifice

• Tenderfoot
    • Studio Artifice
Chicory Root Coffee
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
ive roasted the root and made coffee. it works, ive also roasted dandilion root for coffee substitute. its a little better to my tast but mixing the two makes it a little better. bad thing is i dont belive there is any caffeen  :disgust:

Yea Chicory is prepared the same way Dandelions are.

Offline Kokopelli

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
"ive roasted the root and made coffee. it works, ive also roasted dandilion root for coffee substitute. its a little better to my tast but mixing the two makes it a little better. bad thing is i dont belive there is any caffeen" 

True, there is no caffeine.  My research indicates that the only North American native plant that produces caffeine is the Yaupon Holly in the southeastern coastal regions.  It can be used to make a coffee substitute but is very strong.  The local Native Americans used it ceremonially before the Europeans came.  I'm trying to locate a source for some of the plants now.  I want several to plant around the edge of my yard so if coffee becomes unavailable, I'll still have a source of my favorite drug: caffeine.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »
Theres a lot of coffee fans here.  The life blood of all that is right. The giver of life. Sweet nector of the gods.   Lol
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Ill drink to that. :cheers:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Kokopelli

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »

As far as I have been able to discover, the only plant native to North America that produces caffeine is the Yaupon Holly native to the southeastern coastal states.  I have been looking for a source to buy six or eight trees to plant around my house in case coffee ever gets scarce.

Offline Kokopelli

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »
"ive roasted the root and made coffee. it works, ive also roasted dandilion root for coffee substitute. its a little better to my tast but mixing the two makes it a little better. bad thing is i dont belive there is any caffeen" 

True, there is no caffeine.  My research indicates that the only North American native plant that produces caffeine is the Yaupon Holly in the southeastern coastal regions.  It can be used to make a coffee substitute but is very strong.  The local Native Americans used it ceremonially before the Europeans came.  I'm trying to locate a source for some of the plants now.  I want several to plant around the edge of my yard so if coffee becomes unavailable, I'll still have a source of my favorite drug: caffeine.

Looks like we are on the same wavelength.  I posted almost the identical statement right before I found yours.