September 19, 2017, 12:08:22 PM

Author Topic: Edible mushrooms  (Read 1608 times)

Offline greene

  • Master Tracker
  • ******
  • Posts: 1487
Edible mushrooms
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
What are some mushrooms that are safe to eat? How do you identify them?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline razor sharp

  • Survivorman
  • *********
  • Posts: 9644
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
its best if you take someone along that knows them well. but you have to trust them first  :hugegrin:  ive used a couple books over the years and researched them on the www.  i still only eat a couple different ones.  some mushrooms can be easally mistaken for edible to.  and some mushrooms although edible can have hi concentraitions of certain enzymes that some people tolerate no problem while others can get really sick or severe stomach problems from. so any you do try always use just a little the first time to make sure. even morells the first time out if undercooked and or eaten in large quantities can make you ill.  just always make sure 1000% without a doubt that you have the right mushroom. if your even 1 tenth of a % unsure "DO NOT EAT IT!!!! some mushrooms are so bad there is no cure, even if it dosnt kill you you may wish it had.
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline greene

  • Master Tracker
  • ******
  • Posts: 1487
Re: Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »
some mushrooms are so bad there is no cure, even if it dosnt kill you you may wish it had.
wow
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline PineMartyn

  • Tenderfoot
  • *
  • Posts: 68
    • Gone Canoeing: PineMartyn's channel
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »
One can teach oneself to identify edible mushrooms even if one does not have someone more knowledgeable, but there are some principles to keep in mind:

First, you need multiple field guides with lots of photos. Ordinary wild plants are usually quite uniform in their appearance, but a mushroom species can exhibit a lot variability in it's appearance. Just pick up two different field guides and compare the photos for a given mushroom species  and you'll see that they often look very different, even though they are the same species and from the same region. Mycology websites usually have photos you can consult and the people on their message boards are usually keen to help you identify your mushrooms. So you need multiple visual references. Never rely on just one "definitive" field guide, or someone's YouTube videos. I've seen some worrisome misidentifications online by people who, like me, are still new to mushroom identification.

Second, never consume a mushroom unless you're certain of what it is, and even then, the procedure is to take it home, cook up a small piece, and eat it only that piece. The next day, if you've experienced no ill effects, you can eat a whole mushroom, not a plateful!   Tell someone you're test-sampling a mushroom so that they will know what's happening if you suddenly take ill and can't seek medical help yourself.  The worst approach is to go out foraging and sample a mushroom without having properly sampled it as described above.  I you misidentify a sought-after species while in the wood you could be incapacitated while far from help and could easily perish.

Third, cook your mushrooms before eating them. Besides the fact that wild mushrooms can be covered in bacteria (think of it like drinking unfiltered lake water), mushrooms are chitinous and must be cooked for the nutrients to be absorbed into your body. Raw mushrooms, while tasty, mostly pass through you without imparting any nutrients.

Fourth, stick to mushrooms that are easy to identify and have few or no toxic look-alikes until you build up a confident mental store of correct identifications. The species my wife and I are most comfortable identifying with ease here in Ontario are: giant puffballs, chanterelles, shaggy manes, chicken-of-the-woods, dryad's saddle, and oyster mushrooms. There are enough of these around (from early summer into autumn) to make mushrooming worthwhile for us. Naturally, the list of sought-after mushrooms in your area (that don't have lethal look-alikes) may be different from ours. The much coveted morels aren't on my list simply because I have never come across any yet.

Hope this helps and happy foraging,
-Martin
No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Offline Swede

  • OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • *********
  • Posts: 20994
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
There is little if any food value in mushrooms. Only in a survival situation would I even think about consuming a mushroom that I wasnt sure of.Thanks for your information PineMartin.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Docwatmo

  • Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • *********
  • Posts: 2827
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:46:19 AM »
Mushrooms are a tasty treat, even if they are not high in nutritional value.  But they can be a comfort food (Fill the belly or supplement other nutritionally dense foods in an emergency).   When your hungry and you find a 10 foot long 3 foot wide patch of Sulfur Shelf, you'll be in heaven. LOL
Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline razor sharp

  • Survivorman
  • *********
  • Posts: 9644
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
Even choice delectable edible mushrooms if eaten in large quantities can give you diarrhea. Diarrhea will Leach water from your body and in a survival situation unless you have plenty of water id avoid them.  But damn I love the fungi.    moose0024.gif
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline oldfatguy

  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • *********
  • Posts: 11253
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
I hear Doc is a fungi to be with...
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh


Offline taken by the wind...

  • Survivorman
  • *********
  • Posts: 19936
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
I hear Doc is a fungi to be with...

~ that was just so stupid it was funny.  :rofl:

Offline Swede

  • OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • *********
  • Posts: 20994
Re: Edible mushrooms
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
Morel Mushrooms are safe to eat and fine flavor.  :thumbup:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.